What is the SureFire L1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gundam

Newly Enlightened
I find it very disturbing that b4 a product can be released ppl are raving about it. No offence to anyone, all i hope is that this board remains as objective as possible instead of becoming some fanboy's raving ground.

If u are into computers one will know what goes on in computer forums between AMD and Intel fanboys and i pray hard not to see this happen in this board when a surefire equavelent (Strategos?) emerges. Till a product is trialed & field tested then will it be right to draw conclusions and give it a thumbs up or thumbs down. Till then any 'specs' in mfg catalogue are marketing hype

yclo

Flashaholic*
Originally posted by McGizmo:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by yclo:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
icon3.gif

Alan Hsu

Enlightened
I saw one of the L1 prototypes a couple of weeks before. I didn't think it's as bright as either KL1 or KL3.

Mr Ted Bear

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L1 will be released shortly after the A2. The question is, how much longer for the A2.

The L1 will be shorter than the one pictured above; there was a change in the circuit board (or something like that) that allowed SF to shorten both the A2 and the L1.

SUREFARC

Enlightened
The L1 uses a single 1W Luxeon Star LED. I hope the delay is that they will use a high dome LS but the original design called for a LD luxeon.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Couln't agree more! So Jeff, will they use HD LS on L1?

McGizmo

Flashaholic
What AluminumOvercast said...............

Well, I feel I have been "tagged" as a FanBoy, what ever that is so I want to say a little more about the L1. "No Offense"? Well I certainly found the implication offensive! However, it matters not as I stand by my first statement that the L1 raises the bar.

I have been given the go ahead to make some comments by the same Gentleman, PK, who provided to me recently, a L1 for evaluation purposes. This is a production unit and has all of the labeling and CE approval. It looks like the unit pictured above with the exception that the bezel has a rearward taper in the same form as the A2's taper.

It is a single cell Luxeon with a 2 stage tail switch, functioning as Sean has stated. All of the circuit is within the front end of the battery tube as is the A2. These two lights function in much the same manner as each other ( low to high). The low circuit consists of a simple resistive circuit providing a voltage range to the LED in a level that the LED will put out some where in the neighborhood of a lumen or less. Think single 5 mm LED that isn't being driven at outrageously high current levels. The high beam is a constant current situation driving the Luxeon at spec; think KL1 here. I haven't done any run tests or taken any light meter tests. I leave that to others.

The L1 is a very effective tool and might be characterized as two effective tools we are familiar with wrapped into one. The bezel consists of a Low Dome LED with collimator and and an anode/ cathode contact module identical to the early version seen in the KL1 bezel.

From a modders position, the framework is wide open!
grin.gif
an Ex bezel will fit on the L1 which means that a SE of any color choice could be used with the existing Ex reflector and there is no need for any driver to be added; just proper contact paths. Since it's a "dumb" head a multitude of custom bezel configurations could be had at a low expense; flood, collimator, reflected spot, ball lens spot and on and on. Sorry, the modder in me gets carried away.....

Back to the light, as is. The low level provides a perfect amount of light for task work in true dark conditions as well as map reading and administrative tasks in low level ambient light. The high level is already understood as it's basically a KL1. As with its kin, the A2, this is a very complex and well thought out illumination tool. It may disapoint many on a white wall but will likely perform very effectively as an aid in accomplishing real world tasks as well as providing illumination levels that are adequate and yet not overkill. This tool with either a colored filter or even colored LED is likely one of the best solutions that has not been mentioned in the current night vision threads. When these hit the streets and become understood, I don't think the few of us who claim that the bar has been raised will be alone.

I have a full plate of personal obligations so I won't be monitoring this thread to catch all of the questions and try to provide answers. As I stated above in reference to the A2 fiasco, I have no plans to go there again, anyway. These lights aren't vapor ware and within the near future, others can join in and compare notes. I am sorry I don't have more time to go into the light in more detail and I feel there is much that I want to learn about it still. Until then, I bid you adieu.

- Don

BTW, Did I mention that I think this is a GREAT light?
grin.gif
icon14.gif

alberto

Enlightened
Here's a picture on a Japanese site that purports to be the Surefire digital L1 and L2 (sorry, that's the original picture size).

SureFireExecutiveLED_mini.jpg
SureFireLED02_mini.jpg

Looks like they are replacement heads on the E1 and E2. Fairly short run times. So, what's the benefit? Maybe a little brighter (20 lumens/L1 vs 17 lumens/KL1).

The translation of the text that goes with it says the following:

"Digital LumaMax LED series price ・ sale day undecided

- As for L1 Digital LumaMax, with exchange head of E1 executive ・ light/write brightness of 15 lumina. Consecutively with full power 1 hour

- As for L2 Digital LumaMax, with exchange head of E2 executive ・ light/write brightness of 20 lumina. Consecutively with full power 2 hour "

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
jeez don...it would have been better had you not said anything at all. now i have something to wonder/be anxious about
rolleyes.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.