What is your favorite cheapie led light?

jsr

Like already mentioned, the Nuwai 0.5W lights, in particular, the TM-313X...great output, great throw, and very attractive.
SL KeyMate...great output and good throw. Easy to change LED to a Nichia CS to then have great output and better throw. Looks very nice and is well made...got mine for <$9.
The Xnova 8LED (new version) is also good for close up stuff. Good output, but the construction aint the best (but fine for the price).
And those photon clones for <$1.

adirondackdestroyer

Under $40 = Fenix L1P
Under $30 = Streamlight 4AA Luxeon
Under $20 = Inova X1
Under $10 = Dorcy 1AAA
Under $1 = Keylights

By the way, thanks to whoever sent that link where you can get 50 keylights for $20. That is a freaking deal! If these are the same keylights I bought last time they are VERY bright for the size and great give aways for non flashaholics.

LEDMaster2003

garageguy said:
The blue one you have is the same one that I got from my father in-law as a gift (except mine is black). Great light for the money, he paid $5 at a knife show.

I have one too and agree. These are very good lights for the price. The LEDs in mine are all colo(u)r-balanced, giving a nice beam.

UnknownVT

A revived thread - I like that a lot - we should do this more often rather than just starting another thread - not only does it help keep all the relevant information in one thread - it actually helps the moderators from having to merge threads........It seems I miss this first time round - so thanks for reviving it.

I tend to consider >$10 relatively "expensive" - think of it a MiniMag 2AA can be had for under $9 at WalMart or Target and to the general public at large this is considered a quality light (and I tend to agree).

So a cheapie LED has to be less than that.

Dorcy 1AAA
(linked review thread that distinguishes the versions available)
@ $5.94 from a local WalMart

8LED 1AA "Xnova" New version with reverse battery polarity

Available from

LightHound @ $5.99

and
Dae's QualityChinaGoods -
8 LED Xnova @ $6.19
and this looks real interesting with a tail clicky -
8 LED Flashlight 1xAA @ $5.45

Those "frauxton" Photon clones - available from Dae's QualityChinaGoods.com

Ultra Bright Plastic Keychain LED Light - White LED - 10 pcs for $8.20 shipped (cheaper in larger quanities)

He also has these "frauxton" lights in colored LEDs if you want to play with colors -
Ultra Bright Plastic Keychain LED Light - Colorful LED - 10 pcs for $8.85 shipped

and

LightHound @ 99cents each

Some reviews

70cent white LED keychains from Emilion

70cent Color LED keychains from Emilion

Emilion now sells the White LED version - as pointed out earlier in this thread - at $20 for a bag of 50 - they are said to be the same as the frauxtons sold by both Dae and LightHound - since the review the white LED versions are now quite noticably brighter.

Last edited:

Max Brightness

I like these

1. Nuwai 0.5W TM317X Pocket LED Flashlight - 1xAA with side clickie for LO/HI
  2. a generic <$10, 9 LED, 3AAA (w/battery carrier). Bright and has lots of flood.

Last edited:

Flying Turtle

I suppose my favorite cheapies are the good old Dorcy 1AAA ($6), an Illinois Tools 3LED 1AAA ($6) found in an Ace Hardware discount bin that's dim but has a real tail clickie, the eternal Dorcy Cool Blue ($8) that gets used with a red filter as an accent light, and the unique Shorelite Vx1 ($15) because of its multiple levels on 1 AAA.

Geoff

Oops. How could I forget the River Rock 2AAA ($10)

Last edited:

Spongebob

tron3 said:
Fenix L0P.

I have moderately high tastes in illumination tools. So that is low end for me.
:grin2:

Fenix=cheapie? You sir have offended Cobra Commander and his choice of illumination tool to take over the world! Cobraaaaaaaaaaa (sinister laugh).....

Cobraaaa.jpg

Melchior

You have missed the cheapest (non lithium) pocket light:

http://www.qualitychinagoods.com/1xaaa-keychain-p-372.html

At LESS than $5, I don't think many/any other lights will beat it in economy.
Bright, erh, efficient, meh, good design...uhm, well it may not perform like a ArcAAA
but it does not have to. (the other $35 can be used to purchase a stack of Lithium-AAA or something)

cy

favorite cheapies are:

1. River Rock headlamp $15
2. ARC AAA std $30
3. Fenix L1-P $32
4. infinity ultra $20

note: just because it's cheap doesnot mean it has to be bad quality. In ARC AAA's case it's the world best 1x AAA LED light. Fenix is one of the best 1x AA luxeon lights. RR headlamp is the best 2x AAA headlamp available. infinity ultra is one of the best survival lights at any price.

bjn70

River Rock 2AAA, $10 at Target, has more throw than I would have expected but also has good spill beam.

sween1911

bjn70 said:
River Rock 2AAA, $10 at Target, has more throw than I would have expected but also has good spill beam.

I agree. Shame that I mangled mine trying to mod the tailcap to a clickie. :(

carrot

The River Rock 2AAA is a fantastic deal at $10.

I tried to give mine dual stages... succeeded about halfway, but constant-on doesn't work, and it can get finicky.

tmf2

>Surefire E1L., cheap compared to most Led lights.

I'll trade you a great Riverock AAA for that lowly SureFire. :huh:

ernsanada

I got this Smartfire 2AA from emilion's workbench when he had free shipping for $20.00.

The Smartfire uses a 3 Watt Luxeon Clone.

dsc02090small7ej.jpg

Lynx_Arc

Flying Turtle said:
I suppose my favorite cheapies are the good old Dorcy 1AAA ($6), an Illinois Tools 3LED 1AAA ($6) found in an Ace Hardware discount bin that's dim but has a real tail clickie, the eternal Dorcy Cool Blue ($8) that gets used with a red filter as an accent light, and the unique Shorelite Vx1 ($15) because of its multiple levels on 1 AAA.

I have one of those Illinois 3LED clicky AAAs. They are not too bad but underdrive the LEDs a lot and they are purplish colored. I know a place here that sells them for about $6.50 (tax included). I was thinking about replacing the LEDs in it with better ones or something.

Latest posts