What is your favorite LIGHTER?

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Re: Brunton Armored Lighter with History

There was a hot minute there back in the late 90's when my generation put everything on Zippo lighters, all the artful resellers are long gone now. Had these two since then:
47218665712_375455633e_o.jpg

ven

Flashaholic
Years and years back i imported a camo zippo from the US of A, its still my baby today. I dont smoke, but i do light lots of candles haha
AodIJskl.jpg

Nephron44

Enlightened
I don't have any fancy lighters, i don't like zippos because of the evaporating (i'm not a smoker, so i don't use it daily). I like to have a torh style ligher on the desk, because i like to burn stuff :p

But in my pocket i usually carry something elegant, metal and butane powered, but preferably not a torch flame since its usually empty when you need it (because you were trying to melt something all day haha :candle:)... i had a very nice slim and cool looking ligher i lost, so now im using the DX skinny card style ligher... Its fun because it acts as a zippo, but its half as thick and butane powered. :)

So yeah, pretty much any cheap metal lighter, since its usully the first thing that gets lost.

Have you tried a butane insert for the zippo?

Nephron44

Enlightened
I don't smoke, but I always EDC a black matte Zippo or the Thyrm Pyrovault, each with a thunderbird butane insert, either the soft flame or torch. My preferences vary daily, depending on how "tacticool" I want to feel that day, but I always have a combination of the above.

ven

Flashaholic
Have you tried a butane insert for the zippo?

I have about 4 or 5 zippo's, 2 of which have the jet. One is the zippo(not the best) and can't remember the other name/brand. I love the smell of lighter fuel though , strangely also like to burn it off my hands when spilled haha. That part is far too easy! But the jets are a lot easier/user friendly for lighting candles in a jar for me. My zippo days started back in 91/92, mr snap on man was my first. Along with my first big maglite. Thinking back, both back then were around £40 ea!!!

spyderco monkey

Newly Enlightened
Bic's are deceptively high quality lighters. Made in USA/France/Spain, 3000/1600 lights for full size and mini, oversized flint, and subject to over 50 points of quality control during production.

https://www.mybiclighter.com/en/safety-quality/manufacturing-quality-controls

That said, for personal EDC I insist on a Windproof Lighter.

Windmill JP and Windmill ZAG - both made in Japan. 100% reliable when you use premium butane (Newport, Vector.)

Vintage Ronson restored by ARS:
https://lighterrepairs.com/lighter-repair-services/

And of corse the classic IMCO 6700:
HTB1bbTUcAxz61VjSZFrq6xeLFXaN.jpg

bykfixer

Flashaholic
BiC lighters were my flashlights for years, then the minimag and solitaire took over the role.

Butane lighters for certain. I used to collect various BiC's like James Bond, football teams, rock bands etc.

In 2020 it's still the good old reliable US made BiC lighter that is my edc.

Sos24

Enlightened
I have some Zippos that I really like. Below is one of my favorites and it gets carried daily since discovering butane inserts.

I also really like the clipper minis.

91f360a95b7a73b75cea3397b968ddb1.jpg

drexter

Newly Enlightened
I like the Zippo's. The Xikar Cigar Lighters look nice also but pricey.

spyderco monkey

Newly Enlightened
I'm happy to report that Zippos new single Torch insert is working extremely well.

65826_Z-SP-Acc_Insert_PT03_1_1024x1024.jpg

URL]

https://www.zippo.com/collections/r...s/products/single-torch-butane-lighter-insert

Filled with Newport brand butane, it lights first time every time. Do not use Zippo butane, its just repackaged Ronson butane - notorious for clogging torch lighters.

The insert is also quite solid at ~51g, holds a respectable 0.9g butane. The ignitor button is nice; not quite as easy to click as a Windmill, but much softer and smoother then a Ronson Jetlite. Best of all, it perfectly replicates the classic Zippo 'click' of the traditional petrol insert.

Given that the insert is warrantied for 2 years, and the Zippo case has a lifetime warranty, this is the Jet lighter I will recommend to others going forward.

Last edited:

Sos24

Enlightened
I'm happy to report that Zippos new single Torch insert is working extremely well.

65826_Z-SP-Acc_Insert_PT03_1_1024x1024.jpg

URL]

https://www.zippo.com/collections/r...s/products/single-torch-butane-lighter-insert

Filled with Newport brand butane, it lights first time every time. Do not use Zippo butane, its just repackaged Ronson butane - notorious for clogging torch lighters.

The insert is also quite solid at ~51g, holds a respectable 0.9g butane. The ignitor button is nice; not quite as easy to click as a Windmill, but much softer and smoother then a Ronson Jetlite. Best of all, it perfectly replicates the classic Zippo 'click' of the traditional petrol insert.

Given that the insert is warrantied for 2 years, and the Zippo case has a lifetime warranty, this is the Jet lighter I will recommend to others going forward.

Agree. I have a couple other butane inserts and the Zippo is better made and works great.

5S8Zh5

Flashlight Enthusiast
Had a bunch of nice cigar lighters. One was a nice tri flame black enamel stubby Colibri donated to TSA (probably inthe 90s). The rest died. At this moment, I have four kinds; zippos, a bic, an IM Corona Old Boy, and a $3.57 Ronson JetLite lighter from Walmart. Haven't used the Old Boy yet, I use the bic to light my pipe now and then. The Ronson lights my cigars nicely and is a year old. Not much use as I smoke a cigar on rare occasions. I've used it 3 or 4 times since I got it. I don't use the zippos. And I don't smoke my pipes at all lately.

Last edited:

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
My favorite, unused, still with the sticker on it, is a 20 year old zippo with a raised badge with our swat logo on it. I had a beautiful blue enamel ronson with ivory cherubs on it, stolen with almost all my other collectible lighters which was my favorite. I'm near the ronson factory in Woodbridge and they didn't want to give it back to me, when i took it for service. I'll probably put a torch insert in my swat lighter instead of the bics.