What is your favorite Maglite or Mini-Mag LED bulb

• Thread starter led_replacement
  • Start date
L

led_replacement

What is your favorite Maglite or Mini-Mag LED Replacement bulb that you have tried and why?
Thanks!
led_replacement /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Badboy-1000 and the Madmax series. Why? Power and light, plus the fact that AA cells are easier to find.

chiphead

greenLED

Flashaholic
Re: What is your favorite Maglite or Mini-Mag LED

1. MadMax lite w/Lux III: much better beam quality (brighness and no artifacts) than the stock bulb. Runtime is still acceptable (and I use NiMH's) and longer than some of the BB combos. I have to think a bit about buying one, though (price)...

2. That's why I bought a TerraLux. The beam is OK when "focused" but then it goes downhill from there. I really like the fact that's a simple drop-in at an affordable price.

3. My very own 5mm LED drop-in /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Loooooooong runtime, but very dim 'cuz of V mismatch between batts and LED requirements. If I went the 5mm LED way again, I'd probably buy one of your LT-1's. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast

Lambda pill /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

My 2 cents...

MadMax+ in a MicroMag because it is so versatile, running off everything that fits into an AA formfactor. Add a 14500 lithium ion cell and even I go "I didn't know it could be that bright!"

BB500 for the MiniMag 2AA because of the power. BRIGHT is the word. A 2AA's true destiny. Probably can go a little higher, BB650 or NexGen 750 for even more power, less runtime, more heat.

Mag3X on b2eze heatsink direct drive for crazy lumens on 3C NiMH /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif edit: link - nothing like triple TWAK Lux3s to light up your evening.

The primary issue with all of the above is cost. They are the best in class for brightness, but I wouldn't exactly term them 'cost effective' /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif You can probably tell I am biased, yup yes I am, I love crazy bright, to heck with everything else /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif

hsjrev

Newly Enlightened

I still love my Opalec Newbeam. Not as bright as the newer gee-whiz luxeons, but 10 hours of nice white regulated light from a couple of AA's is pretty cool. The low batt warning red LED is pretty cool too.

Krit

Enlightened

Nextgen and Minipro with LuxIII give a good bright. 2 hours is suit for general useage. But if I would like more runtime I will go with MM or MM lite.

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've got a half dozen of the Shoppe's sandwiches with R2H (MM, MM+, BB400, BB500) and love them all. I'm looking forward to the Shoppe's newer offerings and Lamba's MiniPro, but the R2Hs are really hard to beat.

I think the new MJLED is a killer option with a price point that just can't be beat. 4-5 times less cost than an Opalec Newbeam with more output (180-220 lux), 3-4 times longer runtime (to 50%, but much longer after that), much whiter, and good throw. It's everything that a 2AA light should be for about $6.00.

Obviously, they're not in the same league as the luxeon sandwiches, but they're incredible for what they are. I think that they're currently the single BEST BUY on CPF.

taiji

Enlightened

I have a 3-D Maglite that I have replaced w/ a 3-watt Diamond LED drop-in that is very good. It retains the focusability of the stock Mag reflector. Quite inexpensive too.

Flashlight Enthusiast

I like the 2C Maglite with EverLED white lux 1 bulb + LDF lens.

Good size (not too big, not too small), good short-range flood beam (thanks to the ldf), and decent runtime.