What is your pocket LED light?

EricTarini

Newly Enlightened
Geepondy,

Fenix P1 or L0P.

As nice as they are, anything that's almost 4" (1AA size, like L1P,L1T,the different Peak Luxeons,Inova X1, etc.) is just not unobtrusive enough for me. It has to be small enough so that I won't think twice about carrying it, no matter what I'm wearing. (I own an L1P and an L0P, but don't carry them much.) On occasion, I'll carry the Dorcy CR123A, which isn't too big and has a nice smooth exterior, especially if I'm worried about losing the light, since it can be replaced at Sears or Target for $20.

I carry the P1 exclusively now, which has a flat, nearly two-hour runtime, and because its brightness has spoiled me for the L0P, even though I love the L0P's size, which is reminiscent of the Arc-AAA. Although a two-stage P1 would be nice, I always also carry the Inova Microlight for things like reading menus in dim light, where the P1 would draw attention or disturb others. Both fit into the inner pocket of my relatively loose-fitting khakis, so they're not on the bottom with whatever else is in my pocket; as a result, I've never had the Microlight turn itself on. (I removed the awkward clip and replaced it with a small split ring, which is attached to another larger split ring, so I can slip it on one of my fingers to avoid dropping it.)

BTW, I don't know if you remember the email conversation we had a few years back, where you told me I owed it to myself to try a Luxeon (this was back when I only had 5mm lights and was completely satisfied with them, and the cheapest Arc-LS was over $120). When Peter put some LSL's on sale for $60, I remembered your advice and got one just to see what all the fuss was about - and there was no looking back. I probably have about 20 Luxeon-based lights now, not counting ones I bought as gifts. Thanks for the suggestion, and damn you! :)

Eric

greenLED

Flashaholic
diggdug13 said:
how much did he have to bore out of the AA tube to get a CR2 to fit? I might have toget my hands on some AA tails and see if someone can make a CR2 tail for me.
You'd have to ask him, I have no clue.

If you find a source for those Arc AA tail, let me know - I'd like 2.
:thanks:

dim

Enlightened
Inova X1 v2 and X5 (CS). I prefer have two single level flashlights over one multi-level flashlight as they're, sometimes, used at the same time and for other tactile reasons. With their rear momentary switches, the X1 and X5 are very quick draws. The X5 has an excellent near-field, EDC type beam with plenty of light for tasks and navigation. The X1 is an excellent long runtime backup thats cheap to run and provides plenty of ambient light when suspended from high such as a ceiling fixture or shelf.

dim

Last edited:

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
Badbeams said:
Awww my fashaholic friend, the old X-5 HAS BEEN CHANGED.

Go to Target...buy...try...return if not impressed.

Ken

Do you mean the change that's been around for a while now, or a more recent one. I have been to my local Target and the X5 looks just like my current X5 and output was the same as well. Am I missing something?

robertrock

Newly Enlightened
Arc-AAA in left front pocket, Surefire L1 in left shirt pocket, and photon in right pocket with keys.

I'm thinking of getting an HDS for the right side so I'm more balanced.:)

robert

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL, I'm not sure if I remember the email conversation but I bought the first run Arc LS's that Peter offered. First gen Lux and very poor optics made for a crappy blobbish beam. They very quickly improved the optics and despite the Luxeon advances, I still like the flood style beam of the low dome lux and have an early gen lux 1 KL1 that I pair with an E1 body that still gets some use. Still a bit big to be pocketable, at least for me.

I agree, no I don't want to carry a 4" light in my pocket, regardless of how skinny it is. I had an LOP which I gave to my girl friend and may consider getting another. Not a terribly good runtime but I can always feed it with nimh's rechargeables. The P1 is also a top consideration although I'm wondering if the diameter might be a little thick. I suppose I should investigate such lights as the Jil and Orb although I don't even know if they are still available, plus depending on expense of these and certain other lights my days of buying $100 plus lights are behind me.

Thanks everybody for the excellent suggestions.

EricTarini said:
Geepondy,

Fenix P1 or L0P.

As nice as they are, anything that's almost 4" (1AA size, like L1P,L1T,the different Peak Luxeons,Inova X1, etc.) is just not unobtrusive enough for me. It has to be small enough so that I won't think twice about carrying it, no matter what I'm wearing. (I own an L1P and an L0P, but don't carry them much.) On occasion, I'll carry the Dorcy CR123A, which isn't too big and has a nice smooth exterior, especially if I'm worried about losing the light, since it can be replaced at Sears or Target for $20.

I carry the P1 exclusively now, which has a flat, nearly two-hour runtime, and because its brightness has spoiled me for the L0P, even though I love the L0P's size, which is reminiscent of the Arc-AAA. Although a two-stage P1 would be nice, I always also carry the Inova Microlight for things like reading menus in dim light, where the P1 would draw attention or disturb others. Both fit into the inner pocket of my relatively loose-fitting khakis, so they're not on the bottom with whatever else is in my pocket; as a result, I've never had the Microlight turn itself on. (I removed the awkward clip and replaced it with a small split ring, which is attached to another larger split ring, so I can slip it on one of my fingers to avoid dropping it.)

BTW, I don't know if you remember the email conversation we had a few years back, where you told me I owed it to myself to try a Luxeon (this was back when I only had 5mm lights and was completely satisfied with them, and the cheapest Arc-LS was over $120). When Peter put some LSL's on sale for $60, I remembered your advice and got one just to see what all the fuss was about - and there was no looking back. I probably have about 20 Luxeon-based lights now, not counting ones I bought as gifts. Thanks for the suggestion, and damn you! :)

Eric

Somy Nex

Enlightened
the Jils have just been made available again i think, and the orbs are certainly available =)

just took delivery of my Orb Raw Ns recently, here's a pic of it beside the JiL =)

faucon

Enlightened
I wish I only carried one! :) Arc-AAA, P1, sometimes my new Proton (love the dimming feature), and usually, unless I'm wearing dress pants, my Surefire L4.

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm going to have to say P1 for me as well. However, i do agree that it would be too bright to read with if you have night adjusted eyes. There is a 2 stage mod that someone created a few days ago in this section. might want to check it out. That will give you the option of lowering the light.

Buckeye

Enlightened
Fenix L1P, in my pocket for 5 months now. My wife's Inova X1 is slightly longer and thinner. If buying now I would consider the Fenix L1T. Brighter than the L1P with two stages. Or the Fenix E1.
Doug

92fs

Newly Enlightened
Inova 24/7 is the one I pack around in my pocket. I can clip it on my hat too. I think most of you would consider it too large. I live in the country and have no one that cares about that bulge in my pocket. It's a very usefull light.

nightrider

Enlightened
I've usually got a Fenix P1 in my pocket or on my keychain.
It is very handy. I run a rechargable RCR123 cell (3.0v regulated and protected) that gives me about 45 mins of bright light. I just put in a freshly charged cell every other week or so, depending on how much I use the light.

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still like my UWOK, 20mm IMS reflector, direct drive Q3 with the 2 stage switch.
Around here it might be considered "Old School" as a modded EDC but it works for me. Not the latest and greatest but still very practical.

Small and useful.

that's my two cents.

Last edited: