What LED Upgrades Are Available At Wal-Mart For MagLite?

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
I noticed a cousin, on my wife's side, with an incandescent MagLite this weekend. I am not sure if it is a 3 D or 4 D size. At any rate, I am looking at this as an opportunity. Now I am NOT looking for suggestions for exotic stuff that can only be purchased online in this particular case, but I am looking for whatever the lowest common denominator is. That is to say, what does Wal-Mart carry in the way of LED upgrades that will work on a 3 or 4 D MagLite?

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Yup, the NiteIze, and it's quite dim and blue. A good choice for a long-ranger emergency light, as it'll do over 90 hours in a 3D, but definitely nothing that will convert a box store philistine into a flashaholic. You'd be better off ordering the basic TerraLux upgrade if you're looking for cheap and easy.

Lightdadark

Newly Enlightened
Yeah the Nite Ize is not even worth the bother. Ugly ringy blue and yellow blob of a beam. Terra Lux is the way to go.

Napalm

Enlightened
In my neck of the woods you can also find Dorcy LED bulbs, one rated 30 lumens for 2 cells flashlights and one rated 40 lumens for 3+ cells.
In Maglites they don't work any better than the incandescent bulbs - the beam is too narrow and not any brighter; if you try to defocus it you get a big black hole in the center.
The only application I can see for them is, as other posters mentioned, getting a monster runtime.

nap.

purelite

Enlightened
Your better off just buying the latest version of the Maglite LED at Lowes . It will blow an incan mag away and not cost an arm and a leg. There is nothing at Walmart worth buying in the led upgrade for Maglite dept.

Napalm

Enlightened
Your better off just buying the latest version of the Maglite LED at Lowes .

I don't see any reason to buy a D cell Maglite LED these days. Unless you insist in using D cells or it has to be a Maglite or something like that. Want a short distance light? There are so many choices of 2xAA lights in a large variety of beam profiles. Want a real thrower for long distance and don't mind Maglite size? TK41 and be done with it.

Nap.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
The major advantage to buying the 3D MagLEDs is immediate ease of access. They aren't the best, but they are likely the best you can pull off the shelf in a pinch.

I have never had good experiences with Nite Ize LED upgrades - the Terra Lux have been better. By the time you've spent the money ordering a Terra Lux upgrade, it's almost cheaper to have just purchased the new 3D Magleds.

-Trevor

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for the replies. I will just email him the URL to Battery Junction and maybe he can snap that up.