What LEDs are these?

JFD140

Newly Enlightened
Can anyone tell me what LEDs these are and where the best place to bulk order them from would be?

I know they are probably some form of Lumiled but i dont know which...

All i know is they are 1 watt LEDs with a batwing pattern.

P8080573.jpg

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
the batwing luxeons are first generation and unless you need that beam pattern they are the least efficient of 1 watt LEDs out there now replaced by luxeon rebel emitters, SSC P4 emitters, and crees. I would ask what it is for because you may want to upgrade the LED to one that is about 3 times as bright

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
If you read down it says
Suitable:
Matching LED Cree, Lumens, Seoul etc..... looks to be a standard optic. If you want the brightest the cree would be brighter than rebel LEDs and the Seoul would be as bright or brighter depending on the bin you got. You can get optics for all sorts of LEDs that are probably compatible with that format/size as for pricing you could look around on the marketplace at some of the dealers to get a better idea. Don't be afraid to write the dealers for more info also. I am not very familiar with optics maybe someone that has used them more would chime and and advise you better. Some of the newer LEDs are rather tiny in die size but more efficient and powerful and the Vf differs so it could be you may have to adjust things a little to compensate or deal with slightly higher current draw with a lot more output.

JFD140

Newly Enlightened
when you say marketplace do you mean the forum marketplace?

This is going to be for business purposes not personal so cost is everything to maximize profits.

No companies out there currently use anything but luxeon LEDs... cree leds are expensive arent they

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic

This is going to be for business purposes not personal so cost is everything to maximize profits.

No companies out there currently use anything but luxeon LEDs... cree leds are expensive arent they
crees are not really that much more expensive but they are harder to get in the US you have to order them from overseas. even the cheaper crees perform as well as the newer rebels and the newer crees outperform most rebel emitters. I have seen dealers such as DX and Kaidoman sell cree stars for under $6 each. With the output of crees you could probably get by with less emitters and put out the same amount of light due to higher efficiency.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast

If this is for a business, I wouldn't rely on a fly-by-night ebay store. I would use cutter.com.au. I'd get Khatod or Ledil optics (depending on desired beam angle) and Cree LEDs. If you order enough, Cutter can make you custom MCPCBs to fit your enclosure.

Neither of the parts of this statement is true.

For the record, Rebels, SSC P4s, Cree XR-E, and Cree XP-E are all comparable in brightness. The widest variety of optics for any of the aforementioned LEDs is for the XR-E.

JFD140

Newly Enlightened
im talking about emergency lighting companies...

cutter.com.au is far too expensive compared to somewhere like futureelectronics.

The lenses are all i would get from ebay.

I wanna use rebel LEDs at this point but need compatible optics.

If it cost $200 to make the circuit board alone, im losing money.

Last edited:

rmteo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did anything materialize from gadget_lover's offer to consult for you on this design exercise for a commercial product?

JFD140

Newly Enlightened
yea

$150 an hour minimum of 10 hours.... so basically he told me it will cost me a minimum of $1500 from him to just design a SIMPLE circuit and give me a parts list...

My potential business partner has a buddy who is an engineer for Caterpillar (the construction vehicles) and he designs circuitry for the vehicles and is going to try to get him to do it...

$1500 MINIMUM is more then any company has quoted me for the design so far. I think the highest quote i got was $1200.

While i appreciate the offer from him, i think that there is no way it will take 10 hours to design something so simple on a computer and should not cost me that much. Im sure he is great at what he does and very reputable but its a bit out of my price range.

JFD140

Newly Enlightened
im fine with the hourly cost, thats not problem.

The minimum of 10 hours is what bothers me.

There is no way a simple circuit with 3 LEDs will take more then a couple hours if even to come up with for an experienced engineer.

rmteo

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is quite a bit more to doing a design job right than just slapping together a circuit. Materials/components need to be sourced to meet the client's cost targets. Prototypes need to be built, (PCB layout, firmware developed and debugged, etc.) refined and tested to ensure compliance with performance specs. If needed, mechanical components have to be designed and tooling made - again prototypes may be required. Much, much more than meets the eye. A 10 hour minimum is very reasonable. BTW, my minimum is 20 hours.

JFD140

Newly Enlightened
i dont want a prototype or custom machined parts...

All i want is a schematic i can give to a company to produce for me... All the companies said all they need is a computer schematic for them to produce.

I dont need anyone to find me the materials or components... they are LEDs and resistors readily available from many places. There are no custom components that need any type of firmware or debugging...

Its 3 LEDs...with 3 resistors... on an aluminum core circuit board with a transistor and a diode plus a positive and negative.

If you can honestly tell me that would take 10 hours let alone 20... i think theres a problem.

And i guess im in the wrong business if your making $5000 minimum per customer... A 40 hour work week your making $10000 which means your telling me you make $2,080,000 a year? I wish i was you.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
i dont want a prototype or custom machined parts...

All i want is a schematic i can give to a company to produce for me... All the companies said all they need is a computer schematic for them to produce.

I dont need anyone to find me the materials or components... they are LEDs and resistors readily available from many places. There are no custom components that need any type of firmware or debugging...

Its 3 LEDs...with 3 resistors... on an aluminum core circuit board with a transistor and a diode plus a positive and negative.

If you can honestly tell me that would take 10 hours let alone 20... i think theres a problem.

And i guess im in the wrong business if your making $5000 minimum per customer... A 40 hour work week your making $10000 which means your telling me you make $2,080,000 a year? I wish i was you.
Everyone has different rates. I charge nothing to design and prototype, but only if I'm going to build and sell the production units (which is where I make up for the "free" services). For design work only, it's $75 an hour, no minimum. For assembly work, I aim for $30 to $40 an hour, although that's not written in stone. Don't know if these rates are too high or too low based on my skills, I just know it's a heck of lot more than the $3 to $10 an hour I'd make right now working for others, so I'm happy with them.

It sounds to me that by "computer schematic" you mean you need the circuit board laid out on CAD software so a PCB house can make the boards from gerber files. For that to be done, you need to know the specific parts you're going to use (each part has a different pad layout), the size the circuit board needs to be to fit in whatever enclosure you put it in, where, how many, and what gauge wires are connected, and so forth. This can easily take 10 hours once you count phones calls, emails, getting familiar with the project, etc. I'd say it would take me anywhere from 10 to 20 hours. I probably spent 30 hours revising and laying out a 2 amp automotive LED driver even though I already knew which parts I was using and how they were connected. It's really easy to screw up a PCB layout unless you're very careful. Do that and you're stuck with potentially thousands of dollars worth of useless boards. So in the scheme of things the $1500 isn't totally unreasonable for this sort of thing. If you can get anyone other than a friend to do it for less than $500 I'd be very surprised. People who can do this sort of work don't exactly grow on trees.

BTW, $10000 a week equals $520,000 annually. Great money to be sure, just most who charge the hourly rates mentioned here rarely get 40 hours per week. If I average 5 hours weekly over the course of the year it's a lot. This year has been a bit busier so far. Unfortunately, a lot of the compensation is "deferred" (i.e. for a project which I won't see any money from until my customer creates a market).

If all you're looking for is an electronic schematic to drive a few LEDs from 12V, then here's one for free:

LED_Driver_1.gif

It's a linear circuit so you'll need to heat sink Q2 if you're driving power LEDs. Also, you'll need to use a power transistor (something like a TIP31) for Q2 instead of the small signal PN2222A shown on the schematic. And R1 needs to be a different value (the circuit as shown will only drive the LEDs at 20 mA).

JFD140

Newly Enlightened
JTR thank you for beign the one to actually understand what i want.

And to top it off, if you are infact looking to make a few hundred dollars send me a private message il give you my number if you would like and i would love to speak with you about this seeing as you understood EXACTLY what im looking for.

Im mostly interested in your service because it says you live in flushing new york.

Im from long island i commute to work in teh city everyday (i work for FDNY) and would gladly meet up with you with and give you the board i wish to reverse engineer and change to rebel LEDs from luxeon 1s.

and yea i know my math was wrong the 7 figure income lol. I still wish i made that much... That damn mayor julionee however you spell his name is a like a billionaire and i get paid nothing to essentially work for him and the people of new york.

And so you know, i already have a market, with paying customers and stores that friends work in that will sell my products. As soon as i get the prototype and production models done i will be starting an LLC company.

I already know where i am going to get the housing made. They have a 1 time initial Die making fee of $800 after that im set for housings. Company is called aluminum extrusions. Unless i find someone in new york that does that of course.

Still unsure where to get the PCB actually produced but maybe you can help me there too. There is alot of money to be made in this industry, especially on long island.

Last edited:

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
and yea i know my math was wrong the 7 figure income lol. I still wish i made that much... That damn mayor julionee however you spell his name is a like a billionaire and i get paid nothing to essentially work for him and the people of new york.

It's spelled 'Bloomberg.'