What Light In Your First Aid Kit?

JNieporte

Enlightened
You carry a basic First Aid Kit, right? What light is in it? Why did you choose that light?

JNieporte

Enlightened
For my small (able to fit in a BDU pocket) kit, there's either a Gerber Tempo or Rayovac penlight. They each use one AAA battery and are single-mode. The Gerber is a tailcap twisty at 8 floody lumens. The Rayovac is about the length of a pen, reverse clicky, and 3 tight lumens. The Gerbers cost about $7 and the Rayovacs are $3 at WalMart. Both have proven to be reliable and take up very little space.

My larger kits carry one of the Rayovacs listed above, plus a Brinkmann 3-mode headlight (now re-branded as Defiant) along with one of these: Streamlight MicroStream, Inova XS, or Fenix E05.

My home kits house one of the Rayovacs, one of the headlights listed, and a Defiant pen light (two AAAs, 23 lumens, reverse clicky).

All of these lights take AAA batteries, so I can just throw some fresh cells in the kit when needed.

Last edited:

buds224

Enlightened
I have several Thrunite Ti AAA and 1 of them is in my first aid kit. Rarely gets used as I EDC other lights too; but it's nice to know it's there, just in case.:)

Cereal_Killer

Enlightened
I carry a very large and well stocked FAK, its a FULL backpack stuffed with everything from band-aids to stitch kits, full line of meds, everything needed to address any emergencies, human or animal. I have 3 lights plus my EDC in my pocket at all times.

A non name brand 18650 powered LED light with built-in R/c (along with its 12v car plug), I also have an Energizer solar powered /hand cranked 3x 5mm light clipped to the outside and in the "bleeder bag" inside my FAK I have a streamlight polytac modded with a blue XP-E (blue light makes blood stand out)

Im shopping for a headlight which, while it all be used for other things a lot more, will be stored in/clipped on my FAK. Oh and theres also a mag solitare on a neck lanyard in there too, it may get removed after the headlamp purchase.

Last edited:

Cereal_Killer

Enlightened
3 days since I got it and my SC52 already got covered in blood. Went threw $100+ of supplies and gauze yet my bag is STILL pretty well stocked, Thankfully I'm into EDC/ preparedness. Story to follow...

Last edited:

JNieporte

Enlightened
If your First Aid Kit can accommodate the size, I highly recommend a headlamp. When both hands are being used, it's very handy.

Speaking of First Aid, remember to keep gloves and remember the old EMT phrase: No glove, no love.

markr6

Flashaholic
The only FAK I have is a small and light (7oz) case for backpacking. I put a Photon II in there since it takes up no space and weighs nothing. But I'm considering swapping it with one of my Olight i3s lights. I HATE its cool tint but the size and output is amazing for a backup light.

Stilt

Newly Enlightened
While it's a good thing to have a flashlight at hand, I just wonder how many responders have taken at least a basic course as how to apply first aid to the injured one may encounter?

andurilgc

Newly Enlightened
I don't have a light in the first aid kit itself but right next to it are

Xeno E03 V3 with Fenix diffuser and traffic wand
ZebraLight H600 with headband

I've done a first aid course recently but thanks for reminding me to check my batteries !

BillSWPA

Enlightened
I always have a light on my person and another in my car. Therefore, I will always have a light available without one in the kit. I also want to make sure at least some of my kits are small and lightweight enough to EDC in a briefcase or perhaps even in a large jacket pocket so that it is there when needed. Another light in the kit would make EDC problematic.

summer

Newly Enlightened
I placed headlamps in our first aid kits: the energizer 3-led and petzl tikkina. You'd want both hands free when tending to your or another person's injury. These lights will supplement the other flashlights on your person, home, or vehicle.

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't carry a first aid kit, but there are a few bandaids in my wallet.

In the car I have a small first aid kit, and in the glovebox are a headlamp, SF6P and Inova T3.

My big first aid kit that I pack for longer trips, where I may need more stuff, has a photon clip tied to the zipper on a short lanyard, the light is stored hanging inside the bag attached to the clip.
Also in the bag is a strip of elastic, and a little clamp to hold the photon to the elastic.

I really need to get a decent headlamp for the Big kit, but I typically have a bunch of lights on me, including a headlamp

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
My larger first aid kits come with lightsticks in them. I leave them as is for lights. If I am bleeding or someone else is, I don't want to get blood on my nice lights. I don't want a high power light being accidently turned on in the kit and melting or burning the contents. I don't want leaking batteries or battery fumes affecting the contents. I always have a flashlight or headlight nearby the first aid kit (or on me) but usually not in the kit. For hiking and backpacking, first aid contents are in a quart sized zip lock bag and separate from other survival supplies. However, next to that bag is a survival kit with a coin cell light and other essentials. In the same backpack pocket is usually a flashlight and headlight. The survival kit has about 5 bandaids, 5 alcohol prep pads, moleskin, and duct tape so I do have a flashlight with some first aid supplies, but not in the actual kit.

znov

Newly Enlightened
Petzl e-lite. Headband is important for emergencies.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

riccardo.dv

Newly Enlightened
Thrunite Ti in the small fak box, zebra h502 in the larger one

Inviato dal mio Nexus 7 con Tapatalk 2

Mikeg23

Enlightened
I keep a small first aid kit in my truck it hardly gets used and I keep bandaids in my wallet that get used frequently... As for light; I don't really leave lights in strategic places cause I always have at least two one me. I don't really find a need to keep lights in my tool bag, truck, etc cause they would never be used.