What lights are on your radar in {2024}?

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd go with a Nitecore MH12 Pro (552 yards of throw) and a Byrna self defense pistol loaded with kinetic rounds followed by pepper rounds as backup. If you accidentally hit a friendly person in the dark by accident, you wouldn't have shot them accidentally with a real gun. If you do hit an intruder, pepper shot to the face and a few bruises will at least give you some time to escape. Best to mitigate lawsuits while increasing security.

fuyume

Enlightened
I would choose a different kind of blast.

I'd go with a Nitecore MH12 Pro (552 yards of throw) and a Byrna self defense pistol loaded with kinetic rounds followed by pepper rounds as backup. If you accidentally hit a friendly person in the dark by accident, you wouldn't have shot them accidentally with a real gun. If you do hit an intruder, pepper shot to the face and a few bruises will at least give you some time to escape. Best to mitigate lawsuits while increasing security.
You might have noticed that I very specifically did not mention any other devices I might use in conjunction with a flashlight.

fuyume

Enlightened
Also, it's not really a flashlight, but I broke down and made a FOMO impulse purchase of the discontinued Nitecore NWE30 emergency whistle/strobe beacon. I hope I never have to use it, but if I ever do, I hope it works.

20211020103632_85851.jpg

fuyume

Enlightened
And I forgot to mention, I decided that I might get a Fenix HM70R headlamp. It's a 21700 light that can be mounted on common helmet mounts with the ALG-04 adapter. The older I get, the more I think that the idea of being in the woods without a lid on my noggin is a bad idea.

Screenshot 2024-06-26 024359.png

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one of those electronic whistles. Light sensor disables the light during daytime to conserve power for emergencies. Good to attract attention to a rapist, or thief in a dark alley, or find you when stranded in the wilderness, but makes an unreliable alternative to a flash bang if there are other lights around to disable the 2000 lumen beacon. Got mine when I started developing a movement disorder and was still solo hiking up trails 15 miles. Was losing my voice and having trouble breathing too. Figured if I couldn't scream for help, I'd better have a backup plan. Only annoying thing is the battery drain. Kills it in 6 months. Have to hear the whistle every time you change out the battery.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
And I forgot to mention, I decided that I might get a Fenix HM70R headlamp. It's a 21700 light that can be mounted on common helmet mounts with the ALG-04 adapter. The older I get, the more I think that the idea of being in the woods without a lid on my noggin is a bad idea.

View attachment 64026
That would depend on what woods you are in. Some you have what are considered widowmakers, or falling trees. Awareness of your surroundings goes a long way in preventing being bonked on the noggin, taken out by falling rocks, or caught in a mudslide or avalanche. Personally, I never wore a helmet unless I was rock climbing or working construction (hard hat). When working, my favorite headlight was the Nitecore HC60. Dropped it off an 8 foot ladder once (slipped off my hard hat while I was working on top of the ladder-it was higher than 8 feet). Got in trouble for breaking a tile on the floor from the headlight. The headlight never failed. Upgraded to the 2.0 version and it is a huge improvement for trail running. 21700 batteries are a little heavy and awkward for a headlight. 18650 is about the max I'm comfortable with.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
You might have noticed that I very specifically did not mention any other devices I might use in conjunction with a flashlight.
Seriously consider a 9 ounce or bigger canister of pepperspray to go along with said flashlight. I've posted this elsewhere on CPF, very last day of 2023; pulled out a canister of pepperspray when a violent low-life street thug confronted me at my 3rd shift job. Pointed it at him, he must have been sprayed sometime in the past. (Likely by the NYPD.) All of a sudden, he wanted nothing to do with me. Didn't have to push the button, but I was ready to.

Believe me, far more effective than lighting up a violent individual and hoping that THAT is enough to make him run away. I get it. You value their life. They do NOT value yours at all. They'll end yours as easily as most folks would step on a cockroach, and literally not lose any sleep over it. With pepperspray, they'll recover.... And once out of jail, be out robbing, terrorizing, sexually assaulting other decent human-beings such as yourself. But at least you'll know you didn't cause them any permanent injuries.

Just telling it like it is with honestly zero sarcasm in my previous paragraph.

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
If anything is on my radar, it's the Jetbeam M64. I love that big honkin' single-die thrower (cough-poorman's-BEAST-cough) form factor.

Shocking to say, nothing new has really got my attention lately. I recently scored a vintage Kel-Lite from F/\ceb00k marketplace and have been playing around with it. Late 70's, 5 D-cell. Emailed Don and he confirmed 1975-1980 made in Barstow, CA.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
If anything is on my radar, it's the Jetbeam M64. I love that big honkin' single-die thrower (cough-poorman's-BEAST-cough) form factor.
Oh! It is absolutely worth getting. I love mine, and would never part with it. (More like an upgrade over the SureFire UDR Dominator.)

fuyume

Enlightened
21700 batteries are a little heavy and awkward for a headlight. 18650 is about the max I'm comfortable with.
I'm prepared to live with that fact to have cell compatibility with my other lights. I don't own anything that takes an 18650, and I don't intend to buy anything that does. I do, however, already own a PD36 TAC that takes a 21700, and I'm planning on getting a TK22 TAC that also takes a 21700.

fuyume

Enlightened
Seriously consider a 9 ounce or bigger canister of pepperspray to go along with said flashlight.

Believe me, far more effective than lighting up a violent individual and hoping that THAT is enough to make him run away.
What I mean to say is that I live in a constitutional carry state, but I'm not going to publicly discuss what other devices I may have for which I may need the flashlight to help me locate and aim at a target, or where and how I carry them or under what circumstances I may choose to use them.

I absolutely would never consider the idea for even one moment that a flashlight would be sufficient on its own to deter an attacker, especially not one inside my home. The flashlight is to illuminate and potentially disorient and/or blind a target, so that I can be sure other means of stopping an attack don't miss.

fuyume

Enlightened
I have one of those electronic whistles. Light sensor disables the light during daytime to conserve power for emergencies. Good to attract attention to a rapist, or thief in a dark alley, or find you when stranded in the wilderness, but makes an unreliable alternative to a flash bang if there are other lights around to disable the 2000 lumen beacon. Got mine when I started developing a movement disorder and was still solo hiking up trails 15 miles. Was losing my voice and having trouble breathing too. Figured if I couldn't scream for help, I'd better have a backup plan. Only annoying thing is the battery drain. Kills it in 6 months. Have to hear the whistle every time you change out the battery.
It's very specifically only for helping a rescue team locate me, should I happen to be unable to self-rescue, in a rural or wilderness setting. Definitely not something I would ever try to use in the event of a personal attack. As for the battery, it's a simple matter to remove it when not needed (ie, at home).

Monocrom

Flashaholic
What I mean to say is that I live in a constitutional carry state, but I'm not going to publicly discuss what other devices I may have for which I may need the flashlight to help me locate and aim at a target, or where and how I carry them or under what circumstances I may choose to use them.

I absolutely would never consider the idea for even one moment that a flashlight would be sufficient on its own to deter an attacker, especially not one inside my home. The flashlight is to illuminate and potentially disorient and/or blind a target, so that I can be sure other means of stopping an attack don't miss.
I appreciate the clarification. You'd be surprised how many folks I've encountered who think a bright enough light, or strobe mode on a high enough setting will somehow magically make a violent attacker poop his pants before running off.

fuyume

Enlightened
MyNitecore NWE30 came in today, I've tested it briefly, and I'm happy. I will put it away in the Plano fishing tackle box that holds my backcountry lights, and pick up a spare CR123A for it.

I maybe, might add a Nitecore NWL20 work light to my wish list. That would make a fourth 21700 light in my kit, and it has a built-in charger and comes with a cell. I would probably leave that one on my kitchen table, ready for use around the house, and for use as my 21700 charger. I don't have a separate battery charger.

IMG_0951.jpeg

fuyume

Enlightened
Perhaps I spoke too soon. I just found out about the Fenix CL27R, although it's more than double the price of the Nitecore NWL20.