What lights to bring camping

mcl2u

Newly Enlightened
I'm going camping this weekend in the local mountains and was wondering when you guys go camping how many lights and what kind do you bring (besides lanterns.

Former_Mag_User

Enlightened
LED lights are perfect for camping

Primarily I take 2 LED lights.
2x Streamlight 4AA 7LED
The UK eLED seems to be extremely popular for camping, I don't have one so I can't comment on how well it works.
I also take my Elektrolumens XM-3, for no particular reason.

A light for long range spotting if necessary.
Lux III 3D Mag by 3rd_Shift_Lights /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

Of course, a true flashaholic will bring as many lights as physically possible.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
coleman latern man i love them things. a radio for music.many many flashlights. can opener peanut butter caned food.lots a water. gear for alll weather ya never know what ya will get for weaher so be prepared. tent a course lol tp. when i go camping i dont even bring car i get droped off in the most secluded canp ground i can find on a nonm holiday and on a weekday i prefare to be alone. o dodnt forget good deet insect repelent

raggie33

*the raggedier*
ok im a idiot i read post wrong i thought ya said what to bring. far as lights i bring em all. specaily my mr bulk lights

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
LMAO... of course you bring 'em all when you camping. raggs is right!!! LOL That's the best place to have flashlights. If you have to travel light (pun intended) I guess you'd want long runtime low output flood walking reading light etc. I think the Eternalight EliteMax or any of it's brother'n would be a great choice. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Nightbeacon is the perfect camping feature too.

Oh BTW if you don't have one, your in luck. They're on SALE!!! search for a few posts in the last two days.

turbodog

Flashaholic
I'm down to 2 lights. An L4 or U2, and an eternalight elitemax. And it's usually the L4, not the U2. The L4's clip will fit on my hat and it makes a nice headlight that way.

AuroraLite

Enlightened
What CromagNet said. Depending who I am going with, if my company do not mind, I will bring as many as I can with loads of batteries to test them out in the dark.

But essentially, depending how long is your trip and what other electronics you have with you(or whether there is an electric outlet for charging on site), besides your EDC, I would recommend the following(not including any mod or many well made products on CPF, only anything that could be found in local camping shop):

AAs:
Gerber LX 3.0
PT surge(throw)
UK 4AA eLED

123s
TL3(throw)
PM6 incan(throw)
Aleph3 2x123

Others:
Lightwave
Maglite 5 or 6 cells

Have fun! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

junior

Enlightened
Me:

- Energizer head lamp for hands free

- Surfire G2 or 6P for power and throw

- Dorcy 1AAA for back up/loaning/survival kit.

Im sorry, where are my manners. The above is when im hiking deep in the woods (roughing it) and my friends carry there own lights.

Now for campsite/family/friends camping i have my Mag3D's in the car, Dorcy lantern, mini battery lantern, and above lights also.

What kind of camping will you be doing?

beam_me_up

Enlightened
PT Surge for cheap great powerful throw and some small LED's for area lighting...maybe an LED lantern for the tent too...if anyone doesn't have a surge I strongly recommend getting one, and I've plugged this a couple times but it's such a great deal $19.97 with free shipping from buy.com just do a search for surge flashlight

-Matt

junior

Enlightened
The Brinkman Maxfire is also a great throwing incan and could be had for about 19.99 at Walmart.

knifebright

Enlightened
all of them for me. Then I sit there and re-arange my alephs with different combo light engines and head combinations. That'll keep me busy for a few hours. Then if space permits i'll pull out my luxlll downboy 1000 mag 2C and be in awe at how far it throws.... I'm going on a road trip were i can't really get away with bringing them all. The trips in feburary and i"m already thinking day in and day out about what lights to bring.
jimmy

paulr

Flashaholic
In practical terms I'd say a PT Aurora or EOS is the only light you need. In flashaholic terms I'd say bring a bunch, they're fun to play with.

In my pre-flashaholic days I usually had two lights, a UK 2L and a green Photon II. Those two were enough for about anything.

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would carry;
1) Opalec NewBeam for basic, use most of the time,long lasting light.
2) UK eLED for back up or when something brighter than the Opalec is needed.
3) 2D LuxIII mod for throw.
4) 3AAA 11LED Police light (from waion) just incase I don't feel to use the Opalec.
5) 14LED 3D mag incase I want a brighter flud than the Opalec or Police.
6) Dorcy AAA just incase...

Did I get all? Hmmmmm /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
How things have changed. I remember my father carrying a camping flashlight that had a head the size of a cereal bowl, and the tail was some funny extendable flashing red beacon. This frame was mounted to a huge battery (I think it was 6 volts) the basically was most of the flashlight. Just 5 years ago fellow campers were admiring my blue photon II LED light.

Today I take two Inova microlights (one for each jacket) as backups, and now my new Streamlight Tasklight 2L. That's all I need as my Coleman twin tube florescent lantern does the job of area lighting.

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
hehehehe.........HID whatever!!!!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Show everyone a maglite and make them think it's powerful.......then whip out a 35watt HID something and watch there faces get contorted from its brightness /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif

An x990 would be awsome but they are at least $460 brand new.(excluding a good GB)

fivebyfive

Enlightened
My camping trips are usually short in duration. Only a few days at the max so I usually bring my SL4AA7LED, PT-40, PT-surge, and surefire z3.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
BakerOnFire90 said:
hehehehe.........HID whatever!!!!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Show everyone a maglite and make them think it's powerful.......then whip out a 35watt HID something and watch there faces get contorted from its brightness /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif

An x990 would be awsome but they are at least $460 brand new.(excluding a good GB)

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd bring a Mag... plain vanilla 3D Mag except that it comes in blue.

mag85-1.jpg

I'd even let them look into the bezel.

And *ONLY* if I was feeling exceptionally mean I'd pull the trigger at that moment to unleash the awesome power of the Mag85 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

(WARNING: Despite the 2mm thick Borofloat lens, NEVER light a high pressure bulb (halogen OR HID) while pointing it anybody, much less their face, due to the risk of explosive decompression. Above comments are humor and meant to be taken as such.)

As for a practical working light, the U2 is completely unrivalled. I had a chance to try it in Quality Dark the other day, and it really produces a wall of light that looks so solid you're almost tempted to reach out and lean against it. It's almost like a shield in front of you...now I see how "the wall of light" could work in an actual scenario, all you can see, at best, is the faint outline of the person behind it.

Then of course you can lower the brightness to avoid blinding yourself. Did someone say ruuuuuuuuuuuntime? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif (45 hours of light)

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
LowBat said:
How things have changed. I remember my father carrying a camping flashlight that had a head the size of a cereal bowl, and the tail was some funny extendable flashing red beacon. This frame was mounted to a huge battery (I think it was 6 volts) the basically was most of the flashlight. Just 5 years ago fellow campers were admiring my blue photon II LED light.

[/ QUOTE ]

Think I know what you're talking about. The reflector faces forward, there is a chrome handle on the back, and the whole array stands on top of a box-shaped battery. I recall someone on CPF had one, and I know how the pic looks like, just that I can't search for it (when will these stupid computers be able to search for an image based on a description /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif)

GOT IT!!!!

Is it this one?

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
I vote for bringing them all, the problem is that my 2 year old son is quickly developing my strain of flashlight addiction. So I need twice as many..