What lubricant?

Status
Not open for further replies.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Lube for A2 seals & threads?

Give it a try, Kev, there really is not much to lose. Some folks around here prefer teflon based lubes for their lights and claim it to be smoother and it doesn't get as gray as silicone based lubricants. I don't know about your lube's water resistant abilities, but maybe that's not a concern of yours. Lube can always be removed and o-rings replaced, so I would say try it out and let us know how it performs. :thumbsup:

bugeyed

Newly Enlightened

Give it a try, Kev, there really is not much to lose. Some folks around here prefer teflon based lubes for their lights and claim it to be smoother and it doesn't get as gray as silicone based lubricants. I don't know about your lube's water resistant abilities, but maybe that's not a concern of yours. Lube can always be removed and o-rings replaced, so I would say try it out and let us know how it performs. :thumbsup:

Thanks for your reply. The FinishLine Grease seems to be working fine. I have not tested it's water resistance, but the company claim is that it resists water solubility, so that should be OK. I will get some silicone grease before the next cleaning & see how that works, 'cause I would like something a bit thicker than the FinishLine grease.

DM51

Flashaholic

There is another lube thread current at the moment and we don't need 2 at once, so I'm merging this one with it.

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast

Anyone who use Nanolube have problems with sticking?

I have the heavy weight version, and initially all seems well and the twisty action on all my SF lights were great. Fast forward a few weeks, and they are now all very 'sticky' and hard to turn. Almost like the o-rings grew or something.

Burgess

Flashaholic
This exact same problem happened with me, using Radio Shack teflon lube.

My Pelican Super SabreLight 2000 (3-C cells) has a black O-ring.

I cleaned off the old, original lube, very well.

Then i applied a good dose of my Radio Shack teflon lube (comes in a tube, like toothpaste).

Immediately tried turning it, and it worked GREAT !

But . . . .

Tried it again, perhaps an hour later,
and it took ALL my strength to unscrew the head ! ! !

:hairpull::banghead::wtf:

Almost seems like the O-ring musta' swelled-up, or something !

Visually, i could not detect any difference.

But something was surely wrong ! ! !

:confused:
_

Burgess

Flashaholic
Ah, i see . . . .

Thank you for the responses. :thumbsup:

Did not use anything to clean off the old lube,
except Kleenex tissues.

No alcohol, or other solvents.

_

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Did not use anything to clean off the old lube,
except Kleenex tissues.

No alcohol, or other solvents.

That's actually worse - just wiping alone will leave plenty of old lube behind, then when you add the new lube you get the random interaction. To clean the threads you should definitely use rubbing alcohol or some similar cleaner, and something that doesn't leave lint or bits behind to wipe, such as a rag or makeup sponge (my wife always looks at me funny when she sees me stealing a makeup sponge for my flashlights, but they have to be pretty too..). I wash the o-ring with soap and water to clean it, but replace it entirely if there's much dirt at all (especially magically occurring gray grit); yes this is inconvenient, but I'd rather replace a fifty cent o-ring than wonder if my light will survive getting wet.. I lube the o-ring thoroughly with fingers before putting it on, this way it's completely coated on all sides so the rings have a bit of "slide", or slightly turn along with twisting motion. This means there's no dry gap or weld between the ring and the flashlight, which creates problems.

precisionworks

Flashaholic
Like trying to define love, you'll get lots of different answers:D My favorite is Super Lube grease:

31uruT-3a8L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

The big tube (3 oz) lasts forever since you rarely use much. Costs around $6 online, more in stores. Good to -40F

Kleenex tissues.
Maybe, if that was the last item available. I take a clean toothbrush (usually my wife's, as it is cleaner than mine), spray the bristles with WD40, then shake the brush to fling off excess. WD40 is a poor lubricant, but a great solvent. Push it inside the tube and rotate the tube as if unscrewing the head. Wipe with a small piece of cotton cloth, like a gun cleaning patch. Brush the external threads so that any grit it carried away & wipe with a clean cloth. If either cloth shows any color, repeat with WD40 until both cloths are clean.

Lightly grease the external threads ONLY with Super Lube, screw in the head, good to go.

Wipe off your wife's toothbrush with another clean cloth (hey, you gotta take care of her, too) & replace in the cabinet:devil:

Last edited:

DM51

Flashaholic
I take a clean toothbrush (usually my wife's, as it is cleaner than mine), spray the bristles with WD40, then shake the brush to fling off excess... Push it inside the tube and rotate the tube as if unscrewing the head. Wipe with a small piece of cotton cloth, like a gun cleaning patch... Lightly grease the external threads ONLY with Super Lube, screw in the head, good to go.

Wipe off your wife's toothbrush with another clean cloth (hey, you gotta take care of her, too) & replace in the cabinet:devil:
I quite like this idea, but I'm trying to picture what happens when Mrs Precisionworks thinks she has cleaned her teeth, but unknown to her she has actually got them nicely lubed up instead, and then she tries to take a bite out of an apple or something. Does the apple fly out of her mouth across the room, leaving her looking a bit puzzled?

I think if I tried this with Mrs DM51 there might be quite a lot of trouble, lol.

ruriimasu

Enlightened
Grease for flashlights

Hi,
May I know whether I can get grease in small packaging (and cheap maybe less than $3) from DX or Kaidomain? I tried searching but to no avail. Or any other website that has free international shipping as it does not make sense to spend $5 on shipping for a small item like this.

Saranic

Newly Enlightened
NC EX10 O-Ring Lube ?

Hello folks, what are you using to clean and re lube your o-rings

anybody out there have a best practice yet?

Thanks

Rossymeister

Enlightened
Re: NC EX10 O-Ring Lube ?

I use a combination of Deoxit And NyoGel 760G.

There are literally hundreds of threads on the subject through google search.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast

Some of the stuff that's being perpetrated around here is a waste of money IMO. Why spend all that money on exotic lube on a 10 cent o-ring? I have a 6 year old Arc AAA with the original O-rings on it. Guess what I use to lube the O-rings? Hint: you can get it at Home Depot in the plumbing section. I've tried the Krytox stuff, Nyogel, and don't see any additional benefit commensurate with the price they charge for these things. But I suppose there's value in the placebo effect...

clintb

Enlightened

Mobil 1 synthetic grease. About as exotic as you need and available in a nice, big tub for dirt cheap. Added benefit: lube more than just your flashlights!

jbviau

Enlightened

I use a cheap Teflon-based lube sold at Radio Shack called the "needle-tip precision lubricator."

Status
Not open for further replies.