What makes a light "EDC"?

3_gun

Enlightened
What makes a light EDC? Having it when you need it, where you need it

My EDC depends on the day I think I'll be having. It ranges from the Fenix E01v2 on both my key rings to the Fenix E12v2 that rides in/with my Leatherman Surge to the Fenix LD12/17 or Klarus ST10 or Acebeam E70 clipped in my pocket. If it's a day I'm doing sales it will be the E70 & another light. If it's a low profile day in an office/Gov building my Olight i5T gets the call solo.

When I'm out of the house I'll normally have 4 lights with me. If I'm going to a sale/job site that gets bumped up 1 or 2 lights. I usually sleep with the i5T or LD12 clipped to my T or sweat shirt collar.

LRJ88

Enlightened
I'm pretty much in the camp that it isn't a light you only bring under certain circumstances. If i work security i might EDC something like a Streamlight, simply because that's included in normal daily use for me. Same with an electrician and a headlamp or an IT tech with a smaller AA light. The same goes for "civilian" carry or just being off work.

What i would NOT count as an EDC light is if you bring a dedicated thrower for the sole reason that you might need it on this occasion when you don't normally do so, or a headlamp, or a lantern, lights that you bring for out of the ordinary circumstances.

TL;DR: It's pretty much all subjective.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
To me everyday carry items are that because they fit in me trouser pocket. Wallet, chap stick, knife, flashlight etc.
But that's just me. I wear loose fitting trousers with lots of pockets so if need be I can carry extra gear. My keychain has gear on it too. I also wear a vest to and from work each day for extra storage.

Yet some of my cohorts travel light while being prepared as well. They have a sack or purse with them nearly all of the time. Some have a back pack we used to call a nap sack because it can hold enough items to set up a small camp site. True MeGeyvers. Their EDC often includes a laptop computer or a tablet in many cases. And their flashlight of choice is usually larger than pocket sized.

scout24

Staff member
Edc for me is what fits comfortably in my pockets. I don't carry a bag or anything like that. Generally a Victorinox Compact, single cell 16340, 18350, or 14500 light depending on what I anticipate my needs being. Anything smaller or bigger has been weeded out over the years. wallet, keys, and if I'm staying in friendly states a self defense item. I don't leave my front door without these items. Occasionaly in winter or if I'm going to be out late, I'll make it an 18650 light even though there are plenty 123 cells in my truck, and two 18650 lights with spare cells. What if I'm out and not near my truck? Have to account for getting back to it... 😁

fuyume

Newly Enlightened
I have a couple of sets of these Martha Stewart zipper pouches that Staples used to sell. I got them on clearance for about $3/set. The smaller one, which is about 3.5” x 5.5” (if my memory is correct), and serves as my EDC survival kit pouch. If it fits inside that pouch, it’s ”EDC”. :D

Attachments

• 1E7031A7-F866-4B59-89EF-7D0BDB544234.jpeg
    1E7031A7-F866-4B59-89EF-7D0BDB544234.jpeg
    36.3 KB · Views: 10

3oni

Newly Enlightened
CPF Supporter
My take on what makes an EDC light an EDC light has changed over the years. What's remained constant is that it has to fit comfortably in my pocket, which generally means one light for pants and another one for shorts, and it has to have a mix of throw, flood, and brightness that meets most of my day-to-day needs. Maybe it's not perfect at anything, but if I don't know what my day is going to throw at me it's pretty good at everything.

I used to prefer a pocket clip for shorts but not for jeans (I just dropped the light into my pocket instead), but now I want pocket clips on both. I used to prefer hotrod lights with programmable UIs, so I could always have the level of light I needed -- from moonlight to a blistering turbo -- but I found that needing to lock those lights out in-pocket made them annoying to use. In that same vein, I found that trying to remember any given UI's peculiarities also introduced enough friction to make me less likely to want to carry a light with numerous modes.

So now my EDC qualifications include a simple UI, momentary on (which I've found I use a lot), and ideally a serviceable low and a moderate high. Currently that's shaken out to a Malkoff MD2 M61N with the hi/lo switch and an Elzetta Alpha gen.2 A113 with the hi/lo tailcap, neither of which need to be locked out and both of which output around 15/400 lumens in their two modes.

Attachments

• elza2.jpg
    elza2.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 6

lumenati

Newly Enlightened
I have always preferred the, barely noticeable in your pocket, single aaa flashlight. For 13+ years now it has been the Foursevens Preon 1, first generation, with a clicky switch. And powered by a 10440, for the 360 lumens when I need them. In all these years I have not found a better EDC.

wade11a

Newly Enlightened
Well when I am at work I EDC a full sized light that takes 1 18650. Either my Prometheus Alpha or Oveready P60. They both fit nicely in the side pocket of my Carhartt pants. I also always have my ZebraLight H604c headlamp in my front left pocket. So at work that is my "EDC".

At home it can range from a Prometheus Alpha down to a McGizmo Haiku. So I guess for me what mood I am in and what is planned for the day determines which light I grab. So my "EDC" varies a lot.

wade11a

Newly Enlightened
My take on what makes an EDC light an EDC light has changed over the years. What's remained constant is that it has to fit comfortably in my pocket, which generally means one light for pants and another one for shorts, and it has to have a mix of throw, flood, and brightness that meets most of my day-to-day needs. Maybe it's not perfect at anything, but if I don't know what my day is going to throw at me it's pretty good at everything.

I used to prefer a pocket clip for shorts but not for jeans (I just dropped the light into my pocket instead), but now I want pocket clips on both. I used to prefer hotrod lights with programmable UIs, so I could always have the level of light I needed -- from moonlight to a blistering turbo -- but I found that needing to lock those lights out in-pocket made them annoying to use. In that same vein, I found that trying to remember any given UI's peculiarities also introduced enough friction to make me less likely to want to carry a light with numerous modes.

So now my EDC qualifications include a simple UI, momentary on (which I've found I use a lot), and ideally a serviceable low and a moderate high. Currently that's shaken out to a Malkoff MD2 M61N with the hi/lo switch and an Elzetta Alpha gen.2 A113 with the hi/lo tailcap, neither of which need to be locked out and both of which output around 15/400 lumens in their two modes.

That is a great set up and very close to my preferences as well. I have always wanted a pocket clip, and prefer the simpler user interfaces.

Ee25F1x.jpg

Repsol600rr

Enlightened
EDC to me means stuff I can have on me while completely forgetting its there until I need it. I don't ever expect it to be fully capable but it needs to meet a minimum usability standard that can get me through a day of random stuff. Over the years I've paired that down to 2 items. Ever since I got one over a decade ago my edc multi tool of choice has been a leatherman s2 juice. I've tried bigger ones but the usability return for the fact that I could notice carrying them wasnt worth it. Ive tried smaller but the lack of usability for stuff I expect to be able to do wasnt worth it. The juice is my middle ground. Vanishes at the bottom of my pocket but has litteraly been used for thousands of tasks and performed adequately in almost all of them. Edc lights have shifted around over the years but I think ive hit the winning combo. The wowtac w1. Non proprietaty replaceable 16340, bidirectional clip, USB recharge off regular non special micro usb cables, magnet in the tailcap. One click for a usable amount of light. Hold from off for moonlight indoors at night. Double click for turbo. $20 so if its lost oh well. No sentimental feels. Just a tool. Those two things go everywhere regardless of if I add more stuff for other reasons.

(Edit, this is just the tools. Wallet, keys, phone, watch not included)

Attachments

• 16364709926627511208771307004853.jpg
    16364709926627511208771307004853.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 7

OregonMedic

Newly Enlightened
Apart from the normal things I look for in a light, for me an EDC light has to have 3 qualities: lightweight, easy to charge (or easy to swap batteries such as AA or AAA lights), and compact enough that it won’t interfere with putting other objects in my pocket. So far my two EDC lights are the Fenix E20 V2 and Sofirn SC31T (although I think the Pro might’ve been a better choice).