What neutralizes leaky Alkaline battery acid ? Search no work.

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
~

I searched for "alkaline battery acid" and got no results.

I had one leak on my work bench in a hot garage .....
Can someone refresh my memory for what to use to remove it ?
As I seem to recall ... the answer is not Baking Soda/water paste.
Even though that does work on keaky Auto wet cells.

(It was an Energizer Alkaline AA ,... somewhat drained)

Please advise ...... and Thanks

TMG

~

torukmakto4

Newly Enlightened
It's not acid; hint: "alkaline battery". The electrolyte is potassium hydroxide solution in water. Use an acidic material such as vinegar to neutralize spills.

BIGLOU

Enlightened
Last time I used some lime drops (acidic material) and scraped off the leak build up. The alkaline took off the anodizing finish though.

yvan_be

Newly Enlightened
Hi all, I'm new here.
Try to get hold of a small ultrasonic cleaning bath and use as the cleaning/neutralizing fluid a very diluted solution of acetic acid, such as Household vinegar diluted 1+7 with distiled or DEMI water. Renew the liquid a few times.
Once the batteries come out (It can take a few hours) and most of the leakage has been dissolved, replace the acid solution with distiled or DEMI water. Renew a few times.
Rince a few times with ethyl alcohol or isopropyl alcohol (dont use the ultrasonic for that: fire hazard) and let dry overnight. I use an old bacteriological incubator, set at 50°C = 122°F for that.
That's all. I recently cleanded up an old Maglite 3D, containing Duracell batteries that had been fused with the inner surface of the flashlight. I managed to remove the first cell using... well... brute force. I decided to try it the way I described above. It worked like a charm.