What power supply for Triton?

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Triton's specs say it needs 12-15V and 15A for full functionality. Which/Where did you get yours, and for how much?

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Phaser,

RadioShack has pretty little 15 amp supply for around 50-70 depending on if you can find it on sale. It is smaller than then Pyramids.

That said, the Pyramid will be the one supplied with the USL because I can get them at a better rate. I'm going to use the 12 amp model which has a 14 amp capability.

Bill

turbodog

Flashaholic
do a search on ebay for rivergate

there are 3 of them on there right now

there's one for $40, but expect that to go higher

i have had one of these for 13? years or so

excellent pws

cy

Flashaholic
found out quickly Triton does not tolerate voltage spikes and will shut down.

Due to votage fluctuations at my house. I have to use a 13+ amp regulated power supply for successful operation of Triton.

So I'm using a big a** car battery for my triton setup. Then I'll simply recharge the car battery.

charging station.JPG

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
mpja.com has various regulated power supplies that would be suitable.

Wilkey

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Phaserburn,

I have a spare Cosel 12V switching power supply that will work nicely for the Triton. I use the exact same supply to power mine. I bought it for $24 from www.ramboy.com. If you want it, I will sell it to you for the exact same price (plus shipping) and throw in the attached power cord for free. No problem either way, but I just thought I'd offer. PM me if you're interested.

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Could one use a 12v DC Battery Pack used to jump start car's. Mine is advertised @ 1200 Peak Amps. The Pack has a built in 110v AC Power Inverter.

Dave

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
js, thanks for the offer! The pics show what looks like case-less (more or less) componentry. Is that what it looks like? I'd be afraid to have something with exposed wires/parts.

Dukester, I wondered about those DC battery packs w/ inverters, too.

Brock

Flashaholic
Yes, using any sort of battery "buffer" between the charger and the Triton would help a lot and you could use a much smaller supply. The catch is if you were charging a lot and ran the small battery dead. Most of the smaller wall wart chargers charge about 1 to 2 amps, and the battery is typically 7 to 14 amps. But I would doubt you would really pull that much from the portable pack that the tiny wall wart couldn't keep up over time.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Phaserburn,

What pic? No, the Cosel has a perforated metal case. There are no exposed wires or circuitry.

stringj

Newly Enlightened
Phaserburn,
Here is a link that has a picture of a modified Cosel power supply. You would be hard pressed to buy a similar supply with its characteristics for less money. It is lightweight, dependable, and is a perfect fit for the power requirements of the Triton.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197410&highlight=cosel+power+supply

js,
It is kind of you to have offered this quality power supply at your cost, as I haven't found anymore of them.

Jerry

cy

Flashaholic
stringi, thanks for the link. it looks like lots of RC folks are using PC power supplies and Radio Shak 25amp power supplies.

Rossitron

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
cy said:
stringi, thanks for the link. it looks like lots of RC folks are using PC power supplies and Radio Shak 25amp power supplies.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've used the PSU in my current computer to power my triton while I was at school. For running computer power supplies with no other load, keep in mind that alot (all?) of AT power supplies have a minimum load on the 5 volt rail. But that's nothing a drive down to radio shack and a few bucks for some power resistors wont fix. ATX power supplies have to be "hot wired" to get them to turn on, and IIRC, most don't have a minimum load.

Quick Google search turned up this link with a lot of good info.

Good luck! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif