What should I buy? Ra clicky or E1B?

userid

Newly Enlightened
Hi, just looking for some thoughts on what would be better for LEO purposes. Thanks.

Incidentalist

Enlightened
Both are great lights and you really wouldn't go wrong with either.

If you want something simple to use, get the E1B. Two modes, high first. You could hand it to anybody and they'd have it figured out in a few seconds.

If you think something like a strobe or other blinking option would be beneficial, then the Ra would be the better option. You can customize the settings to best suit your needs and that gives it an egde in my opinion.

Would you be carrying it in a holster or clipping it onto a belt/pocket? I prefer the clip on the E1B, but if it's in a holster it's a moot point.

Let us know what you decide to get and :welcome:

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the Clicky is the better light, but the simplicity of the E1B might suit the kind of work better.

zenlunatic

Newly Enlightened
For that kind of work I would probably go with the E1B. I have both and the E1B has more throw, although the Ra isn't too bad. For my EDC I choose Ra, but if my dog ran away in the woods, or a guy robs a grocery store and flees armed in the woods behind my house (yes this really happened), I would greatly prefer the E1B.

You can do like I did and get them both. I picked up a used E1B under $100 and a used Ra EDC Executive (older 120 lumens) under $100. I like the Ra so I'm gonna shell out the $150 for a current generation in July (bday gift to myself).

Also something to consider, the Ra has a optional holster, although I've never used it. I would not trust the E1B clip on my belt while running, although for normal, non-LEO stuff, I would definitely trust the clip.

Last edited:

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't understand the "simplicity of the E1B" sentiment?

Set the Clicky's primary level to the level you use most. Click it on, click it off. It always comes on at the same level. All the other features are only there if you want/need them.

I like the E1B, but I can't think of any aspect of it that is better than the narrow beam Clicky.

Agile54

Newly Enlightened
As a former LEO & owner of both the E1B & Ra Clicky Tactical go w/ the E1B

Make sure to get the Gen2 Backup that should be boosted to a rumored 110 lumens & also be sure to get the LE discount that SF offers.

IMHO you or your partner can't go wrong w/ the UI of the Backup + the SF LIFETIME warranty is the industry gold standard.

Flame suit on for the SF haters & USERID email me in my profile if I can help further.

Norm

Retired Administrator
Set the Clicky's primary level to the level you use most. Click it on, click it off. It always comes on at the same level. All the other features are only there if you want/need them.
I agree with gswitter, the RA is very versatile and every bit as tough as a Surefire.
Norm

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast
From a UI perspective, I don't see where the E1B is better especially when you can program the HDS to do essentially the same thing.

userid

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all of the replies, I recently picked a E2DL 200 lumen version and also have a 6p with malkoff m60. I'm very happy with surefire quality in general, and I think the E1B would complement the E2DL. Does anyone know when the 110 lumen version is going to be available? Those of you that own the Ra do you think the quality is as good or better than surefire?

saabgoblin

Enlightened
The E1B is a great light as long as you can accept that it has no easy lanyard attachment point unless you buy a Z68 Tail cap from SF or Brightguy. To my knowledge, the HDS clicky doesn't have an easy way to attach a lanyard either so they are just about equal in that respect. The E1B clip is medium firm but not as strong as the older style SF clips IMHO but you can bezel up/down and use as a headlamp so the E1B is pretty flexible and a darn good thrower as well. From SF's literature, I believe that they eliminated the knurling to reduce wear and tear on cloting but at the cost of a stronger clip but it is easily remedied by the Z68 or E2D tail cap, holster or in a closed shirt pocket or designated utility pocket. Fits perfect in a pair of 511 Tactical small flap pocket.

Hope this has helped.

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is really a case where you should buy both... the optic in the E1B and the high output is a perfect pairing with the Ra's wonderful general purpose beam.

JWRitchie76

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is really a case where you should buy both... the optic in the E1B and the high output is a perfect pairing with the Ra's wonderful general purpose beam.

I agree with this! I don't personally own the E1B but I could see a use for each while on duty and by using both you'll really get a feel for what you need and like. Keep in mind I personally hate when I'm given this reply but again I think it really applies here. Also if/when you get a Clicky spend a few more bucks and get both tail cap configurations. I honestly feel though that the HDS/Ra is way more versatile and every bit as high quality as the SF if not more so. Also I highly recommend the 170 CN.....just an awesome, awesome light!

callmaster

Enlightened
Get a sheath (with velcro) for all holstering usage. I don't trust belt clips, etc.

Easy to get em out, easy to put em back in. Especially since you're using it for LEO duty. You want something that keeps your lights on you no matter what the situation (running, jumping from building to building,etc)

userid

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the replies, I'm leaning toward the E1B since I already have an E2D and I like the clip better on the E1B than the Ra. Does anyone have a comparison picture of the E1B next to the Ra clicky with the new bezel down clip.