What songs have had a profound impact on your life?

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me it was "Time" by Pink Floyd.

It was 1973. I was 21, sitting around as usual in my friend's patio (where we all hung out) wasting time & contemplating why my life wasn't going anywhere. I had a part-time job, taking a full load of college classes, while all my friends had good full time jobs and seemed to have their lives on track. To top if off, my girlfriend of 3 ½ years had just broken up with me.
Seemed like time for another beer...

Then "Time" came on the radio and the lyrics perfectly captured what was happening with my life...

Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day
You fritter and waste the hours in an off-hand way
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town
Waiting for someone or something to show you the way
Tired of lying in the sunshine, staying home to watch the rain
And you are young and life is long, and there is time to kill today
And then one day you find ten years have got behind you
No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun
And you run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking
Racing around to come up behind you again
Sun is the same, in a relative way, but you're older
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death

It was a real epiphany and I realized I needed to get my *** in gear and make things happen instead of hoping things would work out. From that point on I decided to take control of my life, and make a commitment to change things.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
U2 Beautiful Day had a positive effect on my perspective one night when the ex-wife was playing mind games and a dame had just cheated on me. I heard that one and said to myself "life is great despite these b!+chez".

Another was Coldplay Clocks where life had taken me to a lonely place far away from everything I knew but when I heard that song it just changed my thoughts from being lonely to living another adventure only this time alone.

There have been others too but those are the two I thought of after reading post #1.

Oh, one more. First time I saw Mrs Fixer I thought of the Isley Brothers song Who's that Lady

Toulouse42

Enlightened
Streets of London by Ralph McTell. My girlfriend had just dumped me and I was low. This song reminded me that my problems were small beer compared to others. I picked myself up and later married her. We've been married for over 40 years.

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not profound per se, but uncanny timing as I recall. My memory is somewhat hazy now, but just around the start of Desert Shielf/Desert Storm, I recall Bette Midler releasing "From a Distance." Seemed very timely and appropos.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
If I had to pick one, I'd say easily.... "Mad World" ~ Tears for Fears.
Very influential on me. Won't get into how. Won't get into why.
But obviously not in a completely positive way. Some songs just aren't built to be like that.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
When I was young I was going thru a lot of "stuff" with family. It was pretty discouraging. One thing that was a small light in the darkness for me was "Desiderata." It might seem corny by today's' standards but back then it was something solid to hold onto.

Last edited:

Latest posts