What to buy around 200$?

eyeQ

Newly Enlightened
Mags, congrats on doing well in school! And it sounds like you have great parents for letting you do what you want w/ the money. You do realise that around here at CPF justifying the costs of lights with family (usu. Spouses) is a biiig issue.

Well, you and I are in a similar position. I'm looking to spend around US$80-150 for a rechargeable small flashlight with very good to extreme throw. I'd prefer LED if it could hit the 130 lumen range, but they don't, so it seems like I'm going incandescent. You never mentioned size, but I'm guessing you want something under 8"?

I began thinking about the Streamlight Stinger HP: very cheap at US$80, only slightly too long at 8.25", and rated 40,000 cp (dammit, what's that in lumens?! brightguy.com says 120 lumens; who knows if that's accurate. They also say the 75,000cp Ultrastinger is 295 lumens…).

But the folks here at CPF are damn smart, and lots of them own many lights (Mr. Mom, 100+ ?? Man, you're lucky. Or nuts. Either way I wish I were in your position), so they know their $hit far better than I. Several suggested I keep looking, and I've now steered myself towards the Pila GL series lights. A current CPF member (Jon, you there? Plz answer my email if you are /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ) now runs jsburlys .com, and sells Pila. He offers free shipping to Canada, so I'll likely be buying my light from him.

So far I think I'm gonna get a Pila GL3RC (130 lumen, comes w. recharg. Batts (or takes 3 pcs CR123 batts), has LEDs on the rear, and includes a charger). This is US$160 (remember that Jon ships free to Can/US), so with duties and Cdn tax it comes to US$180. That's over my budget, so either I: 1-wait (I'm broke right now), or 2- forgo the recharger and batts for now.

The Pila GL3 series could be something for you to consider too.

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, I am convinced not to get a surefire /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I really want to, but I know I am only going to buy them for the glory of owning a SureFire... Maybe I should try one of the Pila series lights. They seem pretty good quality, rechargable in stock and stuff. I never really thought about buying an Aleph. They seemed so sacred that I shouldnt buy them. But buying one, and a whole rechargable kit is a little too expensive, so I must forego them for now. I checked on the Pila GL3XRC, and its nice! And around 176$ with the charger too! I dont have a real throwing light yet, and this might be my first! Ok, now leaning toward the GL3XRC.... Every light I own, besides my m@g, is an LED light, and I think I have enough of them.

Or even the GL4RC!!! Its only about 4$ more... now I am lost...

greenLED

Flashaholic
You will not be disappointed with a Pila GL3 light! I have not seen the GL2 or GL4, but based on my experience with two GL3's, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

Speaking of size, although the GL3 is a 3x123 celled light, it is only a tad longer than the Peli M6 (maybe half the length of a 123 longer, IIRC), and about as thick. I have a pic of it with other of my lights back home. I'll look for it later and post here for you to compare.

Depending on what other lights you have, you may consider the GL2 or GL4. Then you can use the 2x168s batteries in other of your lights. The GL3 uses 2x150a and those may not fit other lights in your collection. That said, if you really want throw, I am not sure how the GL2 or GL4 do on that compared against the GL3X.

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the GL4 is really nice. But probably not for me as 12 volts is a little dangerous to deal with. Oh what the heck, Ill get a GL3XRC. Turbo head version of the GL3 hehehe. Or I might still get the GL4... Since I have until summer, I dont think I should worry too much. After all, I may change my mind...

scudinc

Enlightened
Batterystation has a sale going on on their Pila lights. They're distributed by Wolf-Eyes, but the lights themselves are otherwise identical. You can get a 9M (identical to Pila GL3R) for $99.

eyeQ

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
greenLED said:
Depending on what other lights you have, you may consider the GL2 or GL4. Then you can use the 2x168s batteries in other of your lights. The GL3 uses 2x150a and those may not fit other lights in your collection.

[/ QUOTE ]

greenLED, this is valuable info--thanks. Wait a minute, does that mean I now need both a GL2 and a GL4? Twist my rubber arm...

eyeQ

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Mags said:
Oh what the heck, Ill get a GL3XRC. Turbo head version of the GL3 hehehe.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hold on, I'm not quite sure that the X denotes any extra oomph. I think it means a wider (hence dimmer, if you will) beam. Anyone able to confirm?

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer smaller 1x123 light's and think HDS is the best at this. I think if you are going to really treat yourself, a small bright multi level EDC on batt station rechargables will do just about everything you need.
I have a basic 60 and it is my desert island light. It will
do anything I need a light for other then a super brite incan. mine is pure white and a non GT, both ultimate and basic is within your price range without the GT.
my reasoning for myself, and in your situation is that you will be more apt to use a small multi level light for more application's then a bigger light, and thus offer's more value because of it's versatility. From the dim setting i use to read, check the thermostat, and check amplifier control's before I hit the stage, to the high setting for lot's of throw for times you need it. It does all that in a small package that will be easy to carry no matter what clothing, summer or winter. I don't think there is any better light in this context.

you got some very good choice's mentioned already; an aleph with a two stage
would be my 2nd pick, followed by a KL-1 on a 1x123 or 2x123 with rechargable's.(I have been running all my LED light's on BS r123's most of the time)

Congrat's on your good school yr!! and no matter what you get, you deserve it! have fun! VDG

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
Everyone, thank you for the comments and suggestions. I find the HDS series a bit complicated to deal with. There are too many modes, settings, requirements, etc. and I am that lazy kind of person... Also, I think I have enough LED lights now. So I think I am definitely going to go incan this time.

[ QUOTE ]
eyeQ said:
[ QUOTE ]
Mags said:
Oh what the heck, Ill get a GL3XRC. Turbo head version of the GL3 hehehe.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hold on, I'm not quite sure that the X denotes any extra oomph. I think it means a wider (hence dimmer, if you will) beam. Anyone able to confirm?

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? But shouldnt the (probably) wider reflector donate some extra throw? Then maybe the GL4 or something.... Are there any reviews on the Pila/Wolfeyes lights?

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Mags said:
Everyone, thank you for the comments and suggestions. I find the HDS series a bit complicated to deal with. There are too many modes, settings, requirements, etc. and I am that lazy kind of person... Also, I think I have enough LED lights now. So I think I am definitely going to go incan this time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Get a serious incan, then. Your timing is good - bwaites has some Mag85s available as turnkey, assembled and ready to fire units. Fully rechargeable. 800+ lumens of shock-n-awe power on a fresh pack. It's surprisingly light because of the AA cells. I believe he can do custom configs as well, just ask.

If the '85 is a little too long, go for the Mag11. WA1111 superbulb, six AA NiMHs, and a ridiculously powerful dose of light. Everybody needs a superlight now and then if only just because. But I can tell you when you need to light up a whole room with just one light, that's the way to go. And sometimes, you really *DO* need that kind of power (ie. outdoors, when you need to scan a large area QUICK). Not every flashlight is used for searching for dropped trinkets under the bed. The '11 is a 2D light, and 2D is not as large as we'd like to think it is.

Gawd what would I have given to hold the Mag85 when I was your age.. (or a year older.. I was involved in a 'flashlight shootout' holding an Eveready 2C - NEVER AGAIN!)

PS: flood, throw - few people draw a distinction once we get into the league of the superlights. I can wash an entire 4-storey building with light at 330 yards - it's so bright I dared not hold it target for more than 2 seconds, I can only imagine who, for a quarter mile around, can see it!

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
KevinL, I was considering a superlight like you mentioned, but I thought it would be a bit dangerous to deal with. The high (more than the Pilas even!) voltage.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I doubt it, really. Voltage itself is not dangerous - not the low voltages encountered in our lights. The superlights use NiMH cells, which are very tame. When a NiMH cell fails, it is a complete non-event. One of my C-sized NiMHs failed, it put out a little bit of blue stuff and its voltage dropped to a few hundreds of millivolts. I cleaned off the residue with toilet paper and threw the battery away. They use the same AA rechargeable cells that thousands of consumer devices use. Protected Pilas or not, I still feel NiMH is a more forgiving chemistry. Lithium ions have a safety precautions list that will fill a book, but NiMH.. nope, sold in blister packs at supermarkets. Heck, aspirin's probably got more warning labels /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Bulbs do not "fail catastrophically" either as long as you are careful to wipe them with alcohol during a new installation. If you receive a TK light from Bill, as long as you never touch the bulb with your fingers (you will never need to), you will be all right. If you're concerned, avoid opening the head at all.

And this is not the USL that will burn you if you leave it on too long. I am doing full-pack discharges of my Mag85 right now (NiMH capacity testing) and at the worst it will feel like grabbing a cup of hot coffee - you'll still have time to let go without anything happening to you.

The only scenario where I could imagine a superlight being dangerous is that if you light it up, pull off the head and grab the bulb. But I doubt you are that kind..

After that you'll still have some $$ left over to get something small and nice.. Orb raw perhaps.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ill give that some thought /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. Thanks for the info. By the way, how long does it take to recharge the light?

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're welcome. I have a Maha C777Plus2 pack-capable charger that will charge all 9 cells simultaneously, it usually takes around 3 hours to finish.

The fastest charger I have is the Energizer 15 minute system, it charges 2100mAH Sanyos in 10+ minutes. It would need 3 charge cycles because it can accomodate only 4 cells at a time, so 30-40 minutes. If I keep a spare charged AA around it reduces that to only 20-25 minutes (eliminates one charge cycle).

Former_Mag_User

Enlightened
A new HAIII 3 watt Pelican-M6 from Battery Station and $100 worth of 123's. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
i second the battery station light. no need to go all out and blow 200$ for the sake of doing to.
if you do, get a aleph

enLIGHTenment

Enlightened
If you can stretch the budget a little, look at (although not into /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif) a UK Light Cannon. Or, put the money aside and save up for an X990.

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
enLIGHTenment said:
If you can stretch the budget a little, look at (although not into /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif) a UK Light Cannon. Or, put the money aside and save up for an X990.

[/ QUOTE ]

HID!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif (That's a good way to go Mags /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif )