what to use for blackouts

mcl2u

Newly Enlightened
i'm looking for something when the power goes out. I have a battery operated lantern but it's in the garage with the camping stuff. Looking for a minitype lantern. thanks

java_man

Newly Enlightened
The rechargable fluorecent camping lanterns make great emergency area lights

wwglen

Enlightened
Coleman Camping Cold Cathode Florescent Lantern: $4.00 at big lots. 4AA last for about 6 hours.

Energizer 2-LED folding Lantern. $3.25 at Office depot. 4AA, Lasts for 100+ hours.

wwglen

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast
I made my own with a 15 watt compact fluorescent bulb. I power it with a Vector "pocket generator", which is just a 12v battery with a 50 watt power inverter and a handle. You can also buy 12v CF bulbs, and power it directly off a battery. I took a 3 liter clear pop bottle and cut off the bottom, and replaced it with a round peice of wood. On the peice of wood I mounted a socket for the bulb. This thing puts out a HUGE amount of light...as you may know, the 15 watt CF bulb is meant to replace a 60 watt incan bulb. I beleive this bulb puts out 1100 lumens.

cheesehead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, if BC is suggesting a 15 watt CF bulb, then I'd suggest a propane lamp. SO much brighter, SO much longer lasting. And it's warm (just be semi-well ventilated).

L

LITEmania

mcl2u : for black out, I would choose CR123A one with longest runtime having largest flood.

Warren,

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
m302000t.JPG

Any of the EternaLights from www.techass.com

Has electronically dimmable LEDs, can last for more than 2,000 hours at the lowest level. Can stand on end, or be hung conveniently using a lanyard. $30 and up.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
aad.sized.jpg

My blackout light....SERIOUSLY! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

It's too big to EDC so I leave it at home. The sealed lead-acid cells don't self-discharge that much, I should think. And 1600 lumens is great when you hear this *BANG* and power goes out and the adrenalin is running - you want as much light as possible!!

For extended blackouts I have smaller lights with extended runtime. CMG Inf Ultra, ArcAAA, and some variable-power lights that can be dimmed.

(and no, that bang was not what you think it is - it was a piece of equipment which experienced an electrical fault, blew a capacitor and some tracks clear off its PCB, causing the circuit breakers to cut off the power to prevent an electrical fire..)

DaveT

Enlightened
My vote for best values:
Innovage 12-LED 4-D lanterns, sold at boscovs.com for $9.95.

Energizer 2-LED 4-AA folding lanterns, at Office Depot stores (but not at their online stores) for $3.29 each.

Eternalights, any flavor - great, great long-life lights.

Dave

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I have an assortment of flourescent lights. One of my favorite for moving around and stationary work both is an eveready arcwhite CCFL/incan light. I also have a pull chain closet light that has a 6watt tube and uses 4D cells I can use. Even a single 4watt flourescent tube bases light is nice in a blackout. It is nice to have a low power LED light to walk around from place to place where you have area lights like a dorcy AAA etc. The best thing I think is to find a flourescent light that you can hook up to a lead acid cell for longer runtime, a 12v one could even be recharged from a car.