What torch is best for me?

wo0t

Newly Enlightened
Hi! I'm new here so be gentle, forgive me I dont really know much about torches and the technical terms that go with them! I live in the UK and I work for a security company and work at many different venues, from arenas, to football grounds and music festivals etc.

I'm looking to buy a good "all round" torch, there are soooo many out there its hard to choose, so I thought i'd ask you guys! I need a torch that I can pretty much use for anything.

Size: Not tiny, not huge, something that will fit on my belt nicely, and if need be hurt if hit with it!
Batteries: Not too fussy, AA or AAA would be great, as they are easy to come by and cheap, but dont mind using a more specialized battery such as the 18650 (as i have 2 re chargeable)
Beam/Brightness: Ideally one that can be a low brightness for when just checking tickets and passes without blinding everyone close by, yet also be able to light up large areas indoors/outdoors at distance. Also not sure the correct term for this, but id like one that you can focus so the light is more concentrated in a small area, and also be able to spread out and light up larger areas.
Price: Not sure to be honest, i'm prepared to pay for the right torch.

Ive been looking mostly at the Fenix TK11, and the LED Lenser P14, but each have different advantages and disadvantages for me, is there the "perfect" torch for me as I need one to do pretty much everything :/

I currently own a LED Maglite 2D, and a Fenix LD10.

Thanks for your time, if you have any questions please ask!

nathan225

Newly Enlightened
I have a Fenix ta21 and a tk 12 they are both great lights with low mode

Saint_Dogbert

Enlightened
Other than Maglite and LED lenser, there are not really any other quality lights with variable focusing capability, and personally I am not that excited by either of those brands. For a good 'all around' torch, something with a more balanced beam spread should be adequate. I think you'd find the TK11 a poor choice for up-close work, like checking tickets, because it doesn't have a really low output mode. If you like your LD10 you might try the LD20. My go-to all around torch is the 4sevens Quark AA^2 and the two are similar in a lot of ways.

Batou00159

Enlightened
You could try a nightcore d20 with smart pd which ha goo beam a medium eange say 50 meters and the brightness can go from lo to bright pritty quick.Runtime mite be an issue though try heinnie:welcome:

somename

Newly Enlightened
There are also some nice EagleTac lights out there.

I'm using the T20C2 MKII with the 18650 cells, but I think the 18650 will not make contact if they are the flat top (flat + end) variety.

Plus if you want it has the strike bezel like many other lights other there now. The Olight M20 is one I looking at before getting this light.

Also there are the Personal carry variety from Eagletac as well.

Haven't tried the Fenix lights but have heard great things about them. If you go with the TK11, look for the XP-G R5 version for max output.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have a look at all the police/security uk web sites who offer all the stuff for you guys,anything from writing/warrant card covers,body armour,radios lights the whole lot.

Have a look at sites Like Screwfix-Machine Mart-Arco safety wear etc,they all sell lights.Get a copy of CPC catalogue(the one they keep advertising on tv as a secret agent type advert),they have loads of lights and I got a little cracker off them.

Last edited:

rikvee

Enlightened
Hi wo0T,

like you I work in many different venues (I'm a soundguy), and after Mini MagLites and 1xCR123A Surefires, for a small light I now really like my Quark AA Tactical from 4Sevens.
4Sevens also sells Fenix, and his own Quark line can be seen as an improvement, or refinement of that brand.
"Tactical" means it has a "forward" clicky, meaning a momentary on is more intuitive and easier to achieve.
That in itself may save batteries and be more appropriate for using the light in short bursts.
Focusing any light is a bit of a furfy, the MagLites that do that are basically blurry with lots of artifacts, or focused properly.
A wider throwing light simply needs a different reflector than a far throwing one.
For a larger light I would still find a "wall of light" more useful, and my favourite there would be the Malkoff M30WF on a single 18650 battery, in their own host or a bored out (to 18mm) Surefire 6P, G2, C2, Z2, M2 etc.

Latest posts