What type of bag/man purse do you cary your flashlights in?

Alexi*

Newly Enlightened
I saw in the tread "whats your EDC gear consist of ?" some realy great models, like the Maxpedtion Fatboy. A bag for everyday use and easy acces, when you dont want to carry around on a backpack or big shoulderbag.

What types of bags/man purse for everyday use do you use?

Last edited:

Delta

Enlightened
I use a Minebag from Countycomm.com. Added to it:

Spec-Ops Shoulder Strap (the included one is a tad short)
Maxped Shoulder Strap Pad
Velcro ID shingle from supplycaptain.com
Maxped 4" Tube Sheath from Lighthound
Glow-Pulls from Lighthound
Patches from TADgear

It's a perfect sized and easily upgradeable bag for only $17.00. I was using a Maxped Fatboy and it just couldn't hold as much stuff as easily.

downsized_0529080821.jpg

Retral

Newly Enlightened
Personally, if it can't fit in my pockets/cargo pockets... it doesn't belong on my EDC list.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I currently use a Black Diamond (30L don't remember model name atm) backpack. It has served me well for 4 1/2 years. I use smaller stuff sack type bags inside to organize loose edc gear.

I always have a few lights and spare cells, SAK (except airports etc. :rolleyes:), pocket mask, moderate first aid kit, spare socks, silk longsleeve undershirt, beanie hat, warm gloves, large bandanna, sunglasses, thermal blanket, rain poncho, water tablets, compass, mirror, firestarter, matches, paper and pen, paracord, caribiners, powdered Gatorade, powerbar type food, water bottle, cell phone, couple bucks in change, wallet, checkbook, keys. I don't like getting caught unprepared. :crazy:

For me nothing beats a backpack for ease of mobility. If you're carrying 20+ pounds of gear a shoulder bag gets uncomfortable, especially after a couple miles. If you have to run, climb, jump, flip, ride, ski, or any other sort of high energy physical activity the backpack stays with your body much better; staying out of your way and not shifting your CG very much.

For agility and durability nothing beats a quality ski/ mountaineering backpack.

(This will prob get moved from the LED section since it isn't about LED lights by the way)

Stainz

Enlightened
I regularly carried a canvas man-bag for years - a large Domke with a ton of camera gear. Times change - my latest 'bag' is black and has S&W on it... it cost ~$600 several years ago - but included a free new 6" 629 (.44M). Actually, I took advantage of several of their range bag offers, which all included a nice new S&W revolver free - just for buying those expensive bags. That's it for me and bags.

Nowadays, I am either listing to the side I tote the range bag on (lead is heavy), or no bag. Flashlights have to fit on my belt - or in my pocket, yielding to a small revolver there, even. Even though I could support a large fanny-pack, you won't see me with one. My cargo pants' pockets, and the ever-present 'Altoids' kit, are enough when I am hiking.

Stainz

PS I remember another bag I once had to 'carry' - my seabag! Now, that would hold some lights - and spare batteries... I don't wear hats any more either... or drink nasty coffee.

Last edited:

John4

Newly Enlightened
I use a "Hold everything phone and tool pouch" Belt Pouch from Duluth Trading Company. Although shown with tools, for my use, the main pouch holds a PDA (soon to be PDA cell phone), multitool, and scissors. One side tube pouch holds a P3D, and the other side tube pouch holds an extra set of CR123 batteries. I added a snap when the velcro got weak, and tied the belt lhook closed so the pouch doesn't fall off the belt.:twothumbs

http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/...bags2/toolbags2/98972.aspx?feature=Product_12

Dr Jekell

Enlightened
I use a maxpedition Lunada but will be upgrading to the Malaga soon.

One thing that gets me is the use of the term man bag/murse to describe something which is entirely different than what those words were made up for.

Man bag/Murse - Something that the some men carry to hold their hair products, lip gloss, hairbrush, mirror, etc

EDC/EDC Bag, Case, Pack, etc - What is used to carry Every Day Carry Items that have a useful purpose that is not for trying to make the user look better.

Purse - An amalgamation of the above two types of bags but is normally reserved for female use.

This is just my 2 lumen's so please don't jump me.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I think casual wear of an external holster is much like the fedora hat - you must be over 40 years of age to wear one. It looks fitting to see a 20-35 year old on a construction/work site wearing an array of holsters and pouches and packs, but when you see the same person at the local store, with the cell phone holster next to the Minimag holster next to the Leatherman holster, etc, you just wonder if they frequent AARP events..

The "in thing" nowadays is the concealed carry, lots of pockets holding lots of this that and the other. I usually wear a standard-looking pair of carpenter jeans with no belt, nothing hanging outside, but I'm actually carrying my wallet, keys, Fenix P1D, Leatherman Wave, and cell phone.

But that's just how we X-ers roll, if you ever wondered about the fascination with loose-fitting cargo pants..

Delta

Enlightened
I think casual wear of an external holster is much like the fedora hat - you must be over 40 years of age to wear one. It looks fitting to see a 20-35 year old on a construction/work site wearing an array of holsters and pouches and packs, but when you see the same person at the local store, with the cell phone holster next to the Minimag holster next to the Leatherman holster, etc, you just wonder if they frequent AARP

I'm 35 and I typically have my LG EnV2 Cell in a Maxped phone holster, and usually have a 4" Maxped Tube sheath for my L2D. The rest (wallet/Knife) goes in pockets. If I don't have the L2D, it's something more low profile I can stick in a front pocket.

My bag only goes with me to my place of work and in my car....I don't typically carry it around the mall. As for what anyone might think about me having two pouches on my belt....I could give a F less. I'm not out to impress anyone from the Abercrombie crowd and anyone dumb enough to make a comment about it in public would just their smart *** stomped.

It's a lot harder to conceal all your gadgets in the summer than the winter. Less places to put them. And I think too much stuff in your pockets is uncomfortable.

RAF_Groundcrew

Enlightened
My EDC lights travel in pockets, but if I'm travelling anywhere for longer than a day, I have a Maxpedition Proteus waist pack with several SF Spares Carriers, lots of AA Alkaline cells, a few AAA Lithiums for my Arc AAA, a Krill light, SF L1, Pelican 2410 LED, maybe my cellphone charger, and a few other travel essentials. I can fit my SF M6 in there too, if I think I might need it.

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maxpedition "FR-1" or "Neatfreak"

Both work well, depending on how many lights I need to carry at one time....and the FR-1 fits inside one of the pockets inside the Neatfreak.

StuToffee

Newly Enlightened
Ive recently gone back to my Maxpud Last Resort, Ive always liked the briefcase style of the bag & it fits easily in my locker at work.
Ive added a good few velcro patches (JD, USN, WWJBD?) and even extra velcro panels for more patches.
Mine carries:-

1 litre Nalgene
Sigg oval retro bottle & mug
3 C-cell Incan/LED light
Swiss solar light (on water bottle strap)
Palm Safelight 4
Inova x5
Spork
Poncho
Space blanket
SAS tin
Mini pry bar
Dirty Stop Out kit (Overnight tolietries)
Leatherman Wave
Monocular
Car stereo faceplate
Sit mat
Oricaso plastic plate
loads of mini snap-lights
Strong nylon cord & carabiner
Leather work gloves
FAK
Small umbrella
Lunch
Pens & Notebook

Pewter skulls with GITD eyes (home-made) on all zipper pulls.

Edit. Oops! I forgot.
The CCW compartment carries a velcroed-in Gerber Cliplock, a Cold Steel Delta Dart & a Mercop Jaw-jacker!

Last edited:

Latest posts