What Virus Protection Do You Use And Freebies?

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been using the AVG freebie. Seems to work as good as the others I was paying big bucks for.

AnotherDaveH

Newly Enlightened
I've heard good things about AVG. If you're willing to play the rebate game, Norton can be pretty cheap. I think I paid $10 for this year's update.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
I prefer to get my virus definition updates as quickly as possible. I don't want to get a definition file on Friday for a virus that attacks on Wednesday.

To that end, I pay the extra for Mcafee. It's not perfect, but I doubt that any of them are.

Daniel

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been using AVG free for about six months now since Norton kept missing several attacks. Then we moved and the company we merged into ours had just installed a Fiber optic T1 line (sweet). The guy who installed the new server also installed Symmantec's server based AV. I grudgingly took AVG off my workstation and six days later I was reinstalling Windows. Something came in and ate IE so Windows was kaput. I logged on the server (I'm the new admin) and Symmantec's logs were clear.

I put AVG back and have been two weeks clean. Also I use Firefox and Spyware Blaster that is a blocking program for cookies and some other attacks than an AV would miss. They have a list of over 3400 known threats to block and are updated about once a week. I've been clean since. It doesn't remove much so I also bought Spyware Nuker as Spybot seems to not update much lately. I also use Zone Alarm Pro for Windows firewalls.

At home and on the road I've switched to Linux (and Firefox plus Thunderbird) for most uses and am learning the AV/spyware thing over again.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
It's amazing how many viruses, worms, trojans and such are out there.

---------------------------------------------------------
$ uvscan --version
Virus Scan for Linux v4.40.0
Copyright (c) 1992-2004 Networks Associates Technology Inc. All rights reserved.
(408) 988-3832 LICENSED COPY - Sep 23 2004

Scan engine v4.4.00 for Linux.
Virus data file v4450 created Mar 18 2005
Scanning for 119442 viruses, trojans and variants.
Using /usr/local/uvscan/extra.dat to scan for 0 additional virus(es).
---------------------------------------------------------

That's an awful lot of viruses.

As the new admin, you may want to look into using two different virus scanners. One on the servers (including the mail server) and a different one for the desktops. That doubles your chances of catching new viruses.

My systems check for virus def files updates every 15 minutes. My client (500 users) has not had any successful virus attacks via e-mail in 5 years. My software stops 20 or 30 per day. They've had two infections from laptops brought in from home.

Can you tell that I take care of their mail systems? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Daniel

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been using McAfee for about seven years. I think I pay around $30 per year. I guess that's "big bucks".

McAfee, like other software vendors, wants to sell us other products also. I don't use these other products, and I wouldn't use them unless I did some research first.

EdB

Newly Enlightened
I've been running AVG for about 3 years with no problems.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
NAV (Norton Anti Virus) was on this computer when I got it, and I also use the AVG free edition.
I also use Spybot Search and Destroy - but that is not an antivirus program, so I will not discuss it any farther here.

Raven

Enlightened
WinPatrol is a must, as it keeps your homepage from being hi-jacked. I use AVG, as my virus checker/remover, and Mozilla as my browser.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Panda here.

Had problems with McAfee missing stuff, switched to Norton 3 years ago, worked ok, but kept missing the spyware.

I was averaging one spyware problem a week, even using Norton and Spybot and adaware.

Switched to Panda in January, 2 months without ANYTHING!

Bill

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I use Avast for AV. I ran it on intsall early this year and it came up with only 1 find - some sort of low-level boot virus in a boot floppy image.

I never run real-time scan protection - the "cure" is worse than the disease it's trying to prevent. I just scan the machine every few days.

Maybe I'm just lucky.

Negeltu

Enlightened
I use Avast. Caught 6 trojans that Norton let live on my system. :-/ I will probably always use Avast. The guys are their forum have been especially kind and helpful to me. Even one of their main programmers helped me personally through email. You just can't beat that kind of service...especially for their free edition.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
I see a few e-mail virues a day caught by McAfee on my personal mail server. I see 10 to 1000 a day caught at the business e-mail sites I manage.

I mention this because you should see some virus activity (trapped viruses, that is) every week. This may be a virus in your incoming mail or a virus trapped at your ISP's server.

McAfee has a fatal flaw. The older versions of McAfee are not necessarily going to detect viruses using the latest virus definition files. If you don't have the latest virus scan engine (4.4.00 or newer) it might be going through the motions but not actually doing much. The scan engine is a sub part of the virus scanner. The 4.4.00 engine is used in McAfee Virus Scan 7.x, 8.x and 9.x .

This same problem may apply to other virus scanners too.

You will not be getting much protection unless you are downloading and installing the newest virus definitions at least weekly. Norton and McAfee can be configured to automatically check and do the update for you.

[ QUOTE ]
I never run real-time scan protection - the "cure" is worse than the disease it's trying to prevent. I just scan the machine every few days.

Maybe I'm just lucky.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, you are lucky.

Daniel

Leeoniya

Enlightened
NOD32 is king. Norton is crap. and everyone who i do computer work for i strongly encourage to dump norton. it is A: a resource hog. B: often ineffective.

most people who switch see a good increase in speed, and they catch viruses in the email which had bypassed norton updated with latest defs. i havent had one bad response. only good.

as far as i'm concerned norton makes 2 good products. one which they bought from PowerQuest. which is Partition Magic. the other is Symantec Ghost. everything else can be, and should be replaced by better things.

the best disk defrag in the world (and small) is Perfectdisk. i have tried many. they all needlessly shuffle data between neighboring clusters...but not PerfectDisk

i use NOD32, and probably will for a long time. it's not free. but it's well worth it and updates every day. also it catches the spyware/adware/trojan installs from explorer installations....VERY useful. even prevents your browser from caching the install files, much less ever installing anything.

Leon.

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had been using McAfee for 7 years and then they screwed me. I now us Kaspersky Labs anti virus based in Moscow which is seemingly very good. I use Webroot Spysweeper along with Lavasoft ad watch, and spyware blaster.

Dynacolt

Enlightened
Ditto Leeoniya, I use Nod32 and Zonealarm and have never had anything get through. In Aus, Nod has the best reviews from what I've seen, and it runs with little impact on resources.