What was the last LED light you purchased and why?

parang

Newly Enlightened
If you investigate, I believe you will find that is not rated to FL1 standards, nor likely any other established standards, (despite their desire to have people assume it is). Not knocking the light itself, 'but just sayin'.

Thanks for the FYI, had no idea. I hope they are at least more shock proof than the usual 1.5 meters. Will look into it.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Armytek Wizard C1 Pro Warm
congratulations!
I wrote to Armytek and asked
"is the wizard pro potted?"

and they replied:
"Yes, the drivers are encased in a protective compound."

So I think you made a great choice. Since the Armytek is potted, it should be very drop proof, similar to a Zebralight, Malkoff, HDS

Enjoy!

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Three in one day.
1 - Convoy C8 SFT40 emitter w/ holster, battery, and charger.

2 - Eagtac P200LC2 (I think I found the best, genuine tactical light from a Chinese maker. After quite frankly searching for too long and coming up short. Numerous lights that came incredibly close, only to drop the ball in some way, shape or form. With the Thrunite TT20 and the Wurkkos TD03 failing due to the minor-est of reasons. Though I still love both. So yes, the best out there in terms of all the important features is a light that was released nearly a decade ago. But my version is over 1200 rated lumens so that helps.)

3 - Nitecore P10iX (Haven't had a clip-carried All-flood light in decades since I bought my SureFire L4. And yes I did order a spare proprietary Nitecore battery to ensure my new light doesn't become a useless paperweight 5 years from now.)

P200LC2. One's standing on the small table next to my chair here. It has a very nice 219C 4000K w/ LOP reflector. It's a good light, and gets very high marks from me in general, and in particular its interface / control scheme. It's there in a small grove of lights I keep standing there because they're ones I want to have ready to grab-use-go. 'Natural selection' essentially determined which lights are kept there.

One of its stablemates, the P25LC2 is also in that group. It's a very similar light in most respects, and it has an sst-20 4000K w/ SMO reflector.

If I'm out in the natural terrain here in my locale after dark, one of those 2 lights will be with me. I've had them both for over 2 years.

Ishango

Enlightened
I ordered a new Olight I3E in the zombie green colour. I lost my previous I3E (posted here somewhere) and still wanted to replace it. Why the colour? First because it was the cheapest available :D and besides that it's fun to have something different than my predominantly black light collection sometimes.
1702989594979.png

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Made a very tough decision.... Going to severely cut back on my spending when it comes to all the things I collect starting in 2024. Yes, that includes flashlights. I have enough lights to literally equip a large Army! However it's still 2023. So....

1- Maratac Mini LEP Cosmos.
I have one other LEP. But don't have a pocket-friendly mini one.
Now I do!

2- Klarus X11GT Pro.
I know I said no more Klarus after that ridiculous debacle I had.
(Fried LED on my Klarus XT2CR Pro. No thermal protection at all.)
But this light is basically that one. However, with a 7mm wider bezel.
And, a very different emitter. Yes, I'm going to see if the T.P. kicks in!

3- Fenix PD36R Pro.
Heard too many good things about this light, not to try it.
(But wow the rechargeable batteries for it is expensive!
Just over $25 a pop!)

emac77

Newly Enlightened
Made a very tough decision.... Going to severely cut back on my spending when it comes to all the things I collect starting in 2024. Yes, that includes flashlights. I have enough lights to literally equip a large Army! However it's still 2023. So....

1- Maratac Mini LEP Cosmos.
I have one other LEP. But don't have a pocket-friendly mini one.
Now I do!

2- Klarus X11GT Pro.
I know I said no more Klarus after that ridiculous debacle I had.
(Fried LED on my Klarus XT2CR Pro. No thermal protection at all.)
But this light is basically that one. However, with a 7mm wider bezel.
And, a very different emitter. Yes, I'm going to see if the T.P. kicks in!

3- Fenix PD36R Pro.
Heard too many good things about this light, not to try it.
(But wow the rechargeable batteries for it is expensive!
Just over $25 a pop!)
I have the PD36R pro and bought an Orbtronic battery for about half that as a spare, works fine. Any button top 21700 that is long enough should work.

Jean-Luc Descarte

Enlightened
After much self-reflection, squinting at my bank account and jotting down the extra expenses I have in January, I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a Convoy S21B.

Reasons why:
- I don't own any S21Bs, only the S21A; could've sprung for an M21B, but the lack of a spring on the head contact puts me off, I don't like how a simple bump to the tail can cut contact and make it change mode
- After the M2 and S3, I've really come to appreciate a steel bezel for its impact resistance, whether crenellated or not, and the S3 showed me there's enough o-rings in the assembly that waterproofing is not a concern unlike in the M2
- I don't own a neutral 4000K Nichia 519A, only warm 3000K and cool 5700K
- I have a 21700 cell parked inside my Lumintop B01 bike light that I never use
- Some people are M@g-Lite fans, some are Surefire fans, a number are Malkoff fans. I'm a Convoy fan and make no secret of it :grin2:

Last edited:

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just ordered an Eagtac P200LR with a 5700K Nichia 519A. I really love and miss the tighten/loosen mode selection of the old Fenix, 4Sevens tactical Quarks and Eagletac, Eagtac is the only one that still has it and the P200LR has 3 head positions, each with programmable outputs. Having the option for a custom 5700K 519A is the icing on the cake.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Nitecore TINI2 (In black aluminum).

Why?.... Because someone on Etsy was selling a 3D-prinited hard polymer open-face belt carrier for it that looked interesting. (Yes, I bought the carrier first, then the light.)

BioMelodic

Newly Enlightened
I have a Reylight LANapple in copper on the way.... it's my first copper light, I'm pretty excited.

Ocelot808

Enlightened
I have a Reylight LANapple in copper on the way.... it's my first copper light, I'm pretty excited.
Excellent choice! The Reylight machining is gorgeous and lacking all labels/prints makes it a visual knockout. Also a fantastic 14500 light overall. Nichia heaven.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Nitecore TIP SE.
Not a fan of the original TIP. Buttons on that one literally popped out on me. No way to pop them in. It's been a few years. Got the TIP SE to see if Nitecore fixed the issues on this model.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ordered a couple more Sofirn SC21 Pro.

Because all my remaining modded SC21 Pro and SC21 Mini got sold this week, and I missed having one for myself.
Ca1JaoJ.jpg

dJ1WunM.jpg

WjpSxeV.jpg

I like to keep one on top of my Fridge. Thanks to the tailmagnet and illuminated button, I can find it easily if there is a power outage..

I believe they are being discontinued, some body colors are NLA.. Prices for SC21 Pro, the anduril model, are a bit high atm.. here is a 15% discount code (not affiliated) F81R6HYD.

The Pro is only in stock on Amazon and Sofirn site.. Aliex has a bunch of SC21 Mini for cheap, if you dont want Anduril.. the Mini is also Regulated, and more Efficient.

Both models have USB charging... the battery is 16340, can serve as a backup battery and charger for my HDS..
IMG_5624.jpg

I prefer the Pro for the lighted button (and Im a big Anduril UI fan):
F7wBkGa.jpg

Last edited:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
The gods must be smiling on me.

Today I received an unexpected offer from Australia, that allowed me to buy an OG RRT-01..

Im feeling lucky ;-)

here is a pic of the one in my pocket, modded to sw45k:
Screen Shot 2023-12-31 at 3.01.08 PM.png

backstory:

The 2011-2012 RRT-01 is a Grail light for me, because I love the Rotary UI. The RRT-01 is very similar to the Sunwayman V11r, except the RRT-01 has No tailswitch (which I prefer for its simplicity).

A few years ago I imported to USA, and distributed to people that share my personal tastes, a few dozen OG Jetbeam RRT-01 from new old stock, located in Australia. After buying out their stock, it appeared that the light was no longer available anywhere.

Then about a year ago, I received a tip from a friend in Singapore, and managed to buy 5 more OG RRT-01, that I again shared w people of like mind. In the end, I only held on to two for myself.

Im super excited to receive one more.

My fascination w the RRT-01 ramping UI, is what led me to embrace Anduril, more recently. Truth be told, Anduril is Much more full featured, but also more complex. I usually dont recommend Anduril lights to newbies, unless they are the type to read manuals..

imho, the Jetbeam RRT-01 has by far the easiest UI of any light I have tried. The Sunwayman V11r and HDS Rotary fit a similar niche.

There are no more OG RRT-01 (and I do not plan to sell any of mine), but if youre curious, there are some 2020 RRT-01 still available.. it changed, became a bit larger and heavier, and now has a tailswitch, like HDS and V11r.. If you have ever wondered about the Rotary UI experience and dont want to spend several hundred dollars for an HDS.. here is a link to a 2020 RRT-01.
(I am not affiliated, just a fan)

RRT-01 do not come w High CRI LEDs, but they are moddable.. they can also be purchased with an LED upgrade, from Skylumen. (not affiliated)

These are not modern lights, they dont have LVP, nor battery check, nor built in charging.. otoh, they are multifuel, CR123, 16340, 18350, and there are extension tubes for 18650..

The appeal of the RRT-01 is all about the Rotary UI. I also like them because they have some of the absolutely Lowest firefly levels of any light I know.

Ocelot808

Enlightened
The appeal of the RRT-01 is all about the Rotary UI. I also like them because they have some of the absolutely Lowest firefly levels of any light I know.
The best UI of all time is NO UI !!!

The rotary brightness adjustment is the most ingenious and effortlessly intuitive method of flashlight control I've ever experienced. Instant one-handed infinitely variable control with zero learning curve.

The venerable RRT01 employs it beautifully with the control ring on the light's "neck" for perfectly natural finger adjustment. It's an absolute joy in real world use and great for an EDC. Also tied for world champion most easily dialed in sub sub lumen extreme low output which is phenomenal for fully dark adapted vision, where very little output goes a surprisingly long way. Like waking up middle of the night and really dark places.

For many years I have wish listed an HDS rotary but it has been a bit beyond financial reach and used ones sell out in milliseconds. I had several of the old school HDS (Ultimate 60 XR GT) way back when and absolutely loved them. So the Rotary should be a Grail Light for me except for one stickler issue: I'm a huge pocket clip carry guy and apparently there's no good solution for the Rotary even though HDS offers the (silly expensive $60) Universal Clip which users here tend to condemn, though I've never seen pictures. Anyone that can advise me on this your suggestions are appreciated.

So as a much more affordable rotary control experience the RRT01 is just magic. I obtained mine from US based Batteryjunction.com. Also for Christmas obtained a Vinh Skylumen version with a 5000K SFT40 which I am over the moon(light) happy with.

However, Jon didn't mention the best kept secret in rotary (twisty) control (which shouldn't be a secret) the exquisitely crafted FrazLabs QT Nugget series of lights. I recently acquired stainless steel and aluminum versions of their 18650 sized QT Nugget and they are unlike any other I own and became instant favorites. The tie for world champion sub lumen performance. I can't stress enough how wonderfully simple the "twist for brighter or dimmer" method is when using the light in everyday conditions. It's a mystery to me why this method is not used in more light designs, it's a fantastic pure analog feel. No flashlight enthusiast should be without a FrazLabs model.

Finally just a mention of the only other rotary brightness control light I know of: the legacy (discontinued but still around,) Nitecore SRT7GT and its current production successor SRT7i (with SFT70). The older model with a brightness ring around the "neck" and the current model with a rotary knob on its tailswitch.

Last but not least an appeal for anyone willing to sell me my Grail: an HDS Rotary with 219B SW45K... please pm me.

Happy New Year CPF !!!

(and Cheers for Jon Slider, you're the best!)