What was the last LED light you purchased and why?

watt4

Enlightened
bought some tektite LED bulbs for converting old flashlights to LED. previously had used Dorcy brand.

so far, no problems with either.

Jean-Luc Descarte

Enlightened
Convoy C8+ Desert Tan with CSLNM1.TG.
draxIvP.jpg

Got this for three reasons:
1) I wanted a C8+ to compare with my old C8, especially regarding lens thickness;
2) I wanted a truly dedicated throwerIMG without having to pay an arm and a leg for an LEP;
3) I wanted a desert tan torch to vary my colour selection, all my other light hosts are on a grayscale ranging from silver-grey to black.
Haven't been able to truly stretch its legs yet because of sudden dental expenses, but so far I'm quite satisfied.

LogansRun

Newly Enlightened
I picked up a Manker ML03 NW version, multipurpose pocket light.

Reasons are:
- Wanted a backup light for the glove compartment that was small, had (more than) decent output
- Could also be used as a powerbank in a pinch
- Would've preferred that you could replace the batteries but not entirely put off by the fact it's rechargeable only

I'm actually really surprised that this has a 2000Lm turbo output!

wjv

Enlightened
Maglite ML300XL - Just to see if Maglite has improved - They have (at least with this model)

Trailblazer - Circa 1965 - 2XD - Was at a antique shop and saw it for $8. It cleaned up well and it works.

DavidABQ

Newly Enlightened
My last LED flashlight was a Maglite ML300. It replaced an older Maglite using an incandescent bulb. Actually, I bought 2 of them.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lumintop EDC01(x2)
Why? I just wanted a new keychain light. Criteria was 1xAAA twisty, similar in size to an Arc AAA, with low output. The EDC01 has memory, so it can come on in low every time. I like the size, as it's small enough to be unobtrusive, yet big enough to get hold of.
Just $10, so I got a spare.
WjXFpF8.jpg

p5Q8v0e.jpg

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ha! Didn't think of them, since they aren't for me, but an order for 2 of those for my parents is what I added the EDC01s to:)

I really like the new E12. They are not for me either since I prefer forward clicky dual- or single mode lights, but they are good quality and make excellent gifs. I ended up giving the first to my sister. They make good gifts since they take common AA batteries and have a simple UI that anyone can figure out easily. Tint is good, without any blue, yellow or green. Beam is floody and even, and they are quite small. Good regulation too. Overall excellent.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see we have some things in common!
I maintain a fairly minimal flashlight selection(all Malkoff and Zebralight 'til the EDC01), but was just thinking of all the lights I've given friends and family over the years.
If I searched my parents' house, I could have a "progression of the modern flashlight" display or something, from modded Dorcy 1AAAs and MiniMags with 5mm LEDs up to the current SST-20s, with everything from low dome Luxeons through multiple variations of Crees in between.
They've probably got twice as many as I do, but here I am thinking "what if Mom&Dad need a flashlight?", and buying them two more:crackup:

YAK-28

Enlightened
just picked up a nitecore br25 bike light with a little different reflector to help keep the light on the ground and not up in someone's eyes. have not tried it out yet on the bike. i did walk it around a little and it appeared to work as described.

wjv

Enlightened
Wukkos WK30 white/red/UV

Looking for something that was floody, good beam, good color rendition and a long run time. For use in a cave or for urban exploring or ghost hunting. . . OK, just kidding about the ghost hunting. Everyone knows you need a cool white beam with a lot of throw for ghost hunting. . . :huh:

Last edited:

Scotty321

Newly Enlightened
Last purchase was a Streamlight Macrostream and Microstream USB. I was looking for a certain sized work like for checking in crevices in areas where there was already significant lighting. My DX3 was too nice for dirty tasks. My Nitecore RCR123 light was a little too clunky (Dc'ed model), and my 18650 ET was just a little too big. I wanted something easy to hold onto when crawling around, yet small enough to fit in my back pocket with my notepad.

The Microstream USB seems very handy for a minimalist light, but the Macrostream just works, has plenty of light, feels secure in the hand while in some awkward position, I don't worry about it accumulating scratches like my Ti DX3, it has decent run time, I can charge it on site or in the car without a dedicated charger, and the simple 2 mode operation with hi from off and a low that is fine for path lighting or finding the right key on me keychain at night works well for my purposes.

wjv

Enlightened
Dang

Those Vin modded lights in copper and titanium are really nice!!!
Looks like I'm going to be spending more money in the near future.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not a flashlight, but I bought a couple 3000k 90CRI led lamps as a replacement for two G23 type florescent lamps I use in one of my workshop table-lights. I got that light as military surplus for about 30 bucks, and its understandably build like a tank. Made in Germany (SIS brand I think). While Im at it Ill replace some of the ABS components with sheet steel and install a frosted glas panel instead of the stock chromed plastic diffuser. Lights like that will run you 500€+ these days brand new, and they are probably still not as well build.