What was your first 'real' LED Flashlight? Have you still got it?!

Climb14er

Enlightened
Surefire L4 Digital Lumamax... The Wall Of Light.

Still have it, in the living room, to look for CD's and other items where the print is small or it's too low light to see clearly.

Lighteous

Enlightened
My first was a Coast LED Lenser that I picked up at a Home Depot. It was powered by 3 AAA cells. I eventually gave it to one of my daughters to use as a night light after I bought a Nitecore Extreme. Thus began the flashaholism.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
My first LED light: Night Eyes something or other. It's a small plastic button cell keychain light with a titanium sleeve. It has a 10mm red LED as its light source. Purchased new around 1990. I still have it.
My first white LED light: A 3xAA light made from translucent blue plastic. Light source was 2x 5mm white LEDs. This was the first white LED light I'd ever seen for sale. I don't remember when I purchased it, but maybe around 1993 or so. I no longer have it.
My first white LED light that was actually better than a maglite: Coast LED Lenser. Initially a 3xAA cylinder style one with a TIR, then a 1xAA with a TIR, and finally a 1x14500 rechargeable with a zooming mechanism. I still have them all.
My first modern LED light: Fenix LD01. Don't remember when I purchased it. At least 5 years ago. I still have it.

Sarlix

Enlightened
Fenix P1D CE Q5 (In olive drab I might add)

Have I still got it?

No.

Why?

Because I'm an idiot and gave it to someone, who in hindsight, probably doesn't appreciate/use it.

Sigh.

Last edited:

D6859

Enlightened
My first LED lights may have been two of those 12 LED, 3AAA, things. Used to EDC one and hold it in my hand when riding a bike in the dark. I was really disappointed by the runtime though.

So, last year I got my first real LED light: Olight T25. With a bike mount it replaced those poor things I had had earlier and even on the lowest level it seemed to output more lumens than them. But as I was not as amazed by the output as the advertisement promised I'd be, I started looking for more efficient light which led me to reading CPF...

I still carry T25 with me at work and use it if I need to read labels on the boxes in bad lightning. It has taken some beating and I'm afraid next drop might break the lense, but the great holster makes it so practical to use it hasn't retired yet :)

OCD

Enlightened
Quark AA^2 Turbo. Its my nightstand, bump in the night, light loaded with lithiums and programmed for moon mode and max. When I travel out of town, its one of the lights that I take with me along with a dummy cell so I can run it off one battery, if needed.

I love the form factor and how easy it is to reprogram.

RGB_LED

Enlightened
I splurged on my first real LED light and picked up a SF E1L (the one with the square-ish beam). Still have it and looking to have it updated with a new driver, reflector and LED.

Dimt

Newly Enlightened
A chrome 3 AAA Dorcy with the button on the barrel. It is bright enough and a comfortable size. I like it so much I have three of them. I have others including a Sunwayman D40A & Fenix L2D but unless I want a strong throw I still grab the Dorcy.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Been a flashaholic my entire life. (now 60 years old)

My first LED flashlight was a
Streamlight ProPolymer 4AA Luxeon (yellow, with black head).

Received it (ordered from BrightGuy) on March 31st, 2006.

I had been wondering if it would be "bright enough"
to be really Useful -- compared to my incand. Mag-Lites . . . .

Well -- * W O W * ! ! !

It certainly was *PLENTY* Bright ! ! !

And threw its 40 Lumens output a LONG distance !

I was beyond impressed -- more like STUNNED !

" Ohhhh -- so THIS is what everybody has been talking about ! "

:cool:

Yes, of course I still have it !
;)
_

BloodLust

Enlightened
3 LED headlamp powered by 3x AAA back in 2000. My comparison for brightness then was the Maglite AA MiniMag since LED for mainstream products were relatively new. The headlamp didn't have the throw as the MiniMag but it had a decent spill and enough flood for hiking and up-close tasks.
Used it for hiking/camping and everybody in my group were running out of juice with their Petzl incamdescent headlamps and were trying to conserve batteries.
I traded it to a fellow hiker for a Princeton Tec Pilot when I purchased a Black Diamond NightRay a few years later. My only high powered light at this time was the Surefire G2.

Back in 2006, I was still EDCing a Surefire G2 and a Maglite Solitaire but found out about Fenix and got my first high output LED.
The Fenix P1D-CE in natural body. I was so astonished at that time that they were able make a single cell (non 3x AAA) LED which even rivaled my G2 and with such a small form factor. I still use this light upto nowwhen I have to bring something small and light such as weddings where my usuall EDC will be out of place.

Then Fenix came out with the P2D-CE and I wanted the 1 hand operation of the tail clicky. Got that as well. I still love the user interface of this light which lead me to the LD10 R5 down the road which is my current EDC.

A few months after getting the P2D-CE, I got an Inova X1 with the reflector (not the TIROS). This was because feeding the G2, P1D & P2D lithium primaries while on a student's budget was not practical. The X1 is now in my bug out bag.

inetdog

Enlightened
MiniMag with 3rd party LED kit added later. No focusing. I still have the light and use it occasionally when I can't find any of my Olights.

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
About five years ago or so I was surfing the net and wondering if there were any upgrades for my aging Surefire 6P incandescent. I came across my first Cree dropin then. It was an XR-E R2 I believe, still have it around although I have since upgraded and purchased other lights.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
LED Lenser T7, purchased on impulse at Woot. Looked it up, and it led me here. MY wallet is definitely worse off, but I have learned a lot. And I gave the T7 away just a couple weeks ago.

D6859

Enlightened
3 LED headlamp powered by 3x AAA back in 2000. My comparison for brightness then was the Maglite AA MiniMag since LED for mainstream products were relatively new. The headlamp didn't have the throw as the MiniMag but it had a decent spill and enough flood for hiking and up-close tasks.

Oh, I forgot my 3 LED, 3AAA, Petzl. I used it in army 2007 so I must have gotten it 2006 or earlier from my mother. I still have it and I used it until I got Olight wave last year :)

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not sure of the exact date but my first LED light was a no-name type thing, had a red 5mm led and used a 2032. The button was on both sides, push one side to turn on, the other to turn off. It looked like a photon freedom but it was bigger. I think maybe 1999? Late 90's anyway. A few years later I got the white version. Same style but 2x2016.

Was probably 2004 where I got a light with luxeon 1. It had the side emitting lens too. Powertech I think the brand was.