What was your first 'real' LED Flashlight? Have you still got it?!

njet212

Enlightened
"Nitecore EZ123"

This is my first real LED light, considering at that time (2010) i just had LED light with multiple 5mm LED. It is using
Cree Q5 with simple twist mechanism. And still going strong today even it was dropped few times ( you can see ding, scratches around the bezel )

EZCR_zps9083cd2d.jpg

BillSJCA

Newly Enlightened
first real was a mad max sandwich, in a mini mag back in 2003. was one of a very few luxeon flash lights. friends today still remember it.wasn't bright by today's standard but back then it was still have a "pill" not sure where the first one went. recall it used an optic not a reflector. replaced a few years later by 18650 fed flash lights, sitll carry a ultra fire501 with me most every where. on a niteze belt holster.

makapuu

Enlightened
I think it was called a Fenix P1D. It's been through some usage and I can't even read the model #. That's the light that started me on this ride that I'm still on. I had some Luxeon lights before that, but the Fenix with that XRE-Q5 in it was the one that stoked me.

LanthanumK

Newly Enlightened
When delivering papers door-to-door as a kid, I found a Dorcy 41-4281 45 lumen 3xAAA LED flashlight in someone's lawn that decided to come home with me. I don't remember what year it was, 2007 or thereabouts. It was the first flashlight I ever saw with a tailcap clicky switch, so it took me a minute to figure out how to turn it on. We were surprised by the brightness, so bright that it was hard to look at the beam. It could also light up the trees across the yard at night (dimly). We kept it for many years, but tossed it recently because it was flickering too badly.

liam_995

Newly Enlightened
That would be my still used; still wear it every day on my belt - Ra Clicky (170 lumens).
Reliable as all heck; and nice and small for worry free carry.

jak

Enlightened
Fenix P1

Still got it. And its original packaging.

fenix-p1.jpg

Doesn't quite work right, but the back of the package says "Limited lifetime warranty. Repair is free, but cost for parts will be charged."
I should follow-up on that.

Gaffle

Enlightened
Streamlight ProPoly Lux. My daughter was playing with it one night and took it into the basement. Light sat "on" for a unknown amount of time. When I finally found the light all the batteries had leaked. Was toast after that.

Dave82

Newly Enlightened
LED Lenser T7, purchased on impulse at Woot. Looked it up, and it led me here. MY wallet is definitely worse off, but I have learned a lot. And I gave the T7 away just a couple weeks ago.

I had a LED Lenser too, MT7. I thought it was the bees knees. I still have it and since I'm pretty anal and care for it, the thing looks like NEW :) From memory I paid about $80 for it. I was a newbie and thought it was a decent ask.

wjv

Enlightened
20+ years old TEKNA "twisty". I think I paid $70-$80 for it.

1stLED0.jpg

1stLED6.jpg

Last edited:

LedTed

Enlightened
My first "real" LED flashlight was a Princeton Tec, 4 X AA, 3 X 5 mm LEDs (blue with black head). I got it for a trip out to the lake. It was a long thrower and is now relegated to backup duty in the garage.

Last edited:

passive101

Enlightened
I have 2 Inova X5's still. One in white and one in UV.

My first more powerful ones I used as EDC's and tactical lights were my Inova T1 and T2. I gave the T1 away, and my father uses the T2 sometimes.

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast
My first real LED light was an Orb Raw NS back in 2006. I still have it for rather sentimental reasons, don´t use it that much anymore (and didn´t use it for a few years until I bought a ZaZan LED Triple for it).

I had one LED light a few years before the Orb Raw NS, though noting I´d call a real LED light. Actually it didn´t deserve the designation "light" at all. It was a piece of LED Lenser crap. You could count the rings in it´s beam like on a log, it had a dim blue LED and only a momentary switch on it´s side. No constant on possible at all. You always had to press the switch permanently if you wanted light. And of course it used some stupid coin cells instead of a reasonable battery although it was long enough to hold at least one AAA.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Through the 1980's and 90's I used to carry a Mag Solitaire in my pocket. Quite often I misplaced it and I bought a new one so that eventually there were 8 or 10 of them around the house.

Then nearly 10 years ago I bought an SF U2:

2j31co5.jpg

and that was my first 'real' flashlight. The U2 is still there with fresh batteries in it but I seldom use it, its beam looks quite dim nowadays ... :p

Dubois

Enlightened
Fenix LD20. I still have in - in fact I used it this morning to look behind my computer desk at some wiring. No longer a favourite (I'm not keen on the 2xAA form), but a decent enough light.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
A first Gen Inova X1 which has an optic - zero spill. Thought it was broken for a few years, but it was probably just dirty contacts.

4y2a4a8y.jpg