What was your first 'real' LED Flashlight? Have you still got it?!

groutboy_1

Enlightened
1.) A C. Crane 4x5mm 2aa Led flashlight. From the Art Bell era.
2.) Arc light 20lm , $100.00 Wayback when...
3.) Nuwai 5watt 65lm LED flooder.
4.) Various early coast/led lenser lights...
5.) Then finally discovered the Fenix tk11 r2 .still great today.

Tmack

Flashlight Enthusiast
I built a convoy m1 mtg2 4.4a and was hooked. From then on its been a flashlight frenzy.

TheeBadOne

Newly Enlightened
I picked up a Dorcy that at Walmart that was bright for low $, and a two pack from Walmart of Rocky branded LED lights. Same roughly $, both used 3 AAA batteries.

They got me interested & I eventually got a Fenix, then a Klarus XT11 & TM11.
3yhuvuze.jpg

Last edited:

wm734

Newly Enlightened
I bought my first real led in 2009 it was a lumapower mrv with a cree q5 and rcr 123's. I believe it's around 180 lumens and is a great thrower. I never use it anymore but it still sits in my collection.

MIKES250R

Enlightened
Mine was a RapidFire Spear and its for trade in the WTT section right now. I really loved that light.

5001craig

Newly Enlightened
First "real" flashlight (I thought) was a Surefire 9N. Expensive up front, very fragile, and expensive bulb sets. Drop it once and it was a new $60 bulb set. It was bright but that was not worth the fragile nature of it's design. The last time I talked to Surefire about it, they didn't even want to discuss it.

I still own the Stinger I had before the 9N and while I have far superior lights, the Stinger (especially with the Teralux LED upgrade) has proved far superior to the 9N. But it doesn't even compare to my Version 4 or 5 Malkoff Wildcat...

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
My first LED light? No, I gave it to my nephew. I do still have the second one I bought. Energizer 2D Hardcase with Rebel LED. It's doing time as the car light for a while. Nice tint, very throwy which makes it good for spotting letterboxes at night without being a nuisance to the occupants.

Got it a couple of months before I discovered CPF.

groutboy_1

Enlightened
Other "1st real LED flashlights of the 5mm, & Luxeon era".
1.)Eddie Bauer/coast lights from target.
2.) Brinkmann LED Lights from Target.
3.) Inova LED Lights from Target. [Re: XO, Bolt, XO2, XO3,etc...]
4.) Led lights from Lowe's.

UnderPar

Enlightened
Maglite 2xAA. Used it for almost 10 years when i decided to purchase the iTP EOS A1 in 2009. After that, several lights followed.

MBentz

Enlightened
SureFire L5. I sold it but was able to recently acquire another NIB.

I believe the oldest LED I still use is an Eagletac T20C2 from 2009. It has been the glove box light for the past five years, but it is about to be replaced by an MMR-X from Foursevens.

I miss the days of choosing reflector type when choosing a new light.

morter

Newly Enlightened
The first LED I bought was a Fenix L1D in 2007. I still keep it on my nightstand and look at it once in awhile. There's about another twelve or thirteen lights also on the nightstand, so it gets a lot of competition.

Tmack

Flashlight Enthusiast
My first real light was a convoy m1 I built with a mtg2. I found any old host, and crammed the biggest baddest led I could find lol. After that I got a BTU Shocker, that I ended up sending to Vinh after hearing g about his work.
After that I got a tk75vnkt strategy get from Vinh, and never looked back.
18 Vinh lights , and 4 I built myself.
I have only bought 1 stock flashlight since, and that was for my shotgun mount. A nitecore mh25, but after recent reviews of it, I replaced it with a convoy m1 that's been built especially to withstand recoil.

It's been a fun ride.

jdboy

Enlightened
My first real LED flashlight was a NiteCore SR3 and no I don't have it any longer. A buddy of mine at work liked it so I made him a good deal on it.

T45

Enlightened
my first real flashlight was a 6D maglite. Traded it for a 3D. Then my next one was a Surefire 6P round body. Still have it! :thumbsup:

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a tan Surefire G2 for a couple of years, then upgraded it with a P60L around 2009. I thought it was the cat's @$$ until, as a demonstration of durability, I threw the light against a friend's fence and the P60L broke :sigh:

I now run Malkoffs almost exclusively :thumbsup:

I sold the G2 because I was upgrading to a 6P at some point and didn't have a need to hang on to the G2.

Last edited:

Mike 208

Enlightened
My first LED light was a gift from my mother (I don't remember the name, but it looked very similar to the Tenka light above, except it took 2 AA batteries). My mother used to listen to Art Bell's show years ago, and he used to advertise this flashlight. Mom thought I would like it, and gave it to me on a visit. The light broke, and is long gone.

My first "real" LED flashlight was a Surefire L2 Digital LumaMax, with the 4 "flats" on the body (got it when they were first released - SN: A00537). Bought this over the Surefire L4 (the L2 cost less than the L4, and it had 2 light modes instead of 1). I still have it and it still works, but I don't use it very much.

chorlton

Newly Enlightened
My first real LED torch was a Lummi Raw. I still have it and it still wows at 200 lumens! Has my favourite emitter, good old cree XRE-R2. A lovely custom light. Soon after I purchased a Ti Drake from Modamag... Best light I have, still, after four years!... Perfection!

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
My first real LED torch was a Lummi Raw. I still have it and it still wows at 200 lumens! Has my favourite emitter, good old cree XRE-R2. A lovely custom light. Soon after I purchased a Ti Drake from Modamag... Best light I have, still, after four years!... Perfection!

+1

Mine is about 5 years now, I don't think there will be any other light with the same WOW factor as this.

braddy

Enlightened
Lightwave 4000.

On second thought it probably wasn't the expensive Lightwave 4000 first, it was probably the original CMG Infinity first.

Last edited: