What was your first 'real' LED Flashlight? Have you still got it?!

Taz80

Enlightened
My first was a Surefire E1L Outdoorsman. I still have it, only now it has the head from my E2O with a Lumens Factory EO-E1R.

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
My very first "real" flashlight was a satin gray E2E, and although it has gone through multiple mods & changes I still have it...and I can't believe I will ever part with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Yup, still have it. Too much sentimental value to ever sell or give it away.

42 lumens Streamlight TL2 LED model.

Just a good overall carry light made much better with the newest version out there since the only change is increased output.

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fliklight LS:1 was my first non 5mm light from 2003 - back when Luxeon 1's were new and exciting. Still have it, even though it's got a very green tint due to how the early Luxeons were. Between that and my Fenix L1P from the CPF 2005 group buy (which I also still have - and use due to its great tint)... They've come a long way.

I also have one of the original PaLights, and one of the early EternaLight models...

Last edited:

hivoltage

Enlightened
Mine was a Firefly...there was some problem with the guy making the next generation ripping people off, not sure whatever happened with that.

bwDraco

Newly Enlightened
It all began during my freshman year in college, Spring 2011 semester, when I was playing with an incan Mini Maglite (2xAAA, 9lm) my counselor had. I had registered for night classes for the upcoming fall semester, knowing I would need a decent flashlight as the campus lighting was rather spotty. In June 2011, I acquired a Mini Maglite LED (2xAA, Luxeon Rebel, 69lm). It was cheap, the PWM was annoying, beam quality was fair at best, and the performance wasn't all that good, and I ultimately lost it on the summer vacation which followed.

After a month without a flashlight on hand, I decided to spend the extra money on a better light, a Fenix LD20 (2xAA, XP-G R5, 180lm), along with a pair of Eneloop AA cells with USB charger in August the same year. It immediately became one of my "can't-leave-home-without-it" items, getting a permanent place on my belt, and it's been dropped at least five times onto concrete without any issues. Campus security officers were impressed by the LD20's output, several of whom were carrying much larger Streamlight Stinger LED lights. I've carried and used it so much that the bottom of the factory-supplied holster has worn through with a pretty big hole, but I just use the clip to make sure the light doesn't fall through it.

After nearly three years of continuous service, I finally replaced the venerable Fenix with a Nitecore SRT7 Revenger (1x18650, XM-L2 T6, 960lm), and even so, the LD20 still goes with me in my handbag as a backup. That old light just keeps on working to this day and I trust it to last many more years. I also have a Fenix E11 (1xAA, XP-E R4, 105lm), which was my old backup light, and is now simply kept at home for emergencies.

--DragonLord

Last edited:

Poppy

Flashaholic
Lord Muzzy,
That was a great introduction.
and yoyoman, I liked your story :thumbsup:
I see that your affinity for small lights may be due to lugging around your first light :whistle:

While the first light that I actually recall carrying on camping trips was a maglight solitare, and how, I was impressed by the little light. It gave enough light with dark adapted eyes to see where I was walking. I guess I was like reppans when I was younger :rolleyes:

At any rate, I may have had a couple of those 9- 5mm LED lights first, but I guess my first REAL LED was a Brinkman Cree 3 Watt light. It was a 2D cell light. Here is a review of it with pictures and beamshot. I don't know when I got it, but it was years ago, at Target on clearance for a few dollars. I looked for it a few times since, to pick up a couple more, but, it was never to be found again :(

It is a beast of a light, and although is made of plastic (with a rubberized nose) it has taken a fair amount of abuse. It sits under my work-bench, has been dropped, and tossed many times, has been in and out of an engine compartment. It's been greased, and wiped clean with WD40. The led display panel is currently held in place with some clear wrapping tape, and the handle splits a little when I remove the tail cap to replace the batteries. That's OK... I just hold it together until the tail cap is in place, and then IT holds it together. :)

It is my third most frequently used light. It has four output settings, and a graph depicting which setting it is at and another for power remaining in the batteries.

After being introduced to CPF, my first REAL flashlight was a Thrunite TN30. I got it for wooded area Search and Rescue. But, alas, it sits in its case, atop of my toolbox, on my work-bench, waiting, crying, for a power outage, or other reason to be used.

Last edited:

Canuke

Enlightened
My first LED's were the original Inova X5's in black, with twisty head and no tailcap, one with white emitters and one with blue. I still have both.

I didn't try out high flux until the Lux III's were out, and that was a Mag triple-emitter drop-in from Inretech, ages ago. That thing was the bomb in its day, lit up whole streets and had a perfect white tint. I now have single CR123 lights that give it a run for its money. I still have this too. I keep thinking about upgrading it with modern emitters, but never had done so.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
My first real LED flashlight was this 3AAA Ledlenser. I bought it after I was persuaded by a salesman to get it instead of a Mag 2AA LED. I still have it and it works, but don't use it much. Only now and then when I want to compare it to some newer better LED light.

Last edited:

groutboy_1

Enlightened
"Here are two of my blasts of light from the past! An ARC LSH-s 146 LED Flashlight, and a Fenix P3D!"
darabupa.jpg

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
My first LED flashlight was an iPhone4, and I still have it and use it daily! Incredibly, it came with a camera phone and wireless Internet browsing built in! Show me the Fenix that does that! Ok, if that doesn't count, then the first led flashlight I ever bought is the Maratac AAA Rev. 3 (Aluminum) I only got a few months ago. I still have it, and it still works great! Within a few days of receiving it, I ordered another Rev. 3 for a friend, and 2 AAA Rev. 2 Cu versions, one for my brother and one for myself. I should have bought more on that order, becuase the Cu's sold out, and we won't see them again until around Xmas. Next came 2 NOS AA Gerber Ultra (red led) Task Light (one for a friend), and last week I just ordered a couple Foursevens Atom A0 with red led (one for a friend). So my LED flashlight journey really began this year, though I have ALWAYS loved LEDs, since those red led watches were popular when I was a kid to the first time I saw a blue led (in an '89 Wolfsburg Jetta).

What annoys me about myself is that my entire life I have had really bad night vision, and really bad low light vision, constantly struggling to see things even during the day but in a shady or unlit room, and it never occurred to me to carry a flashlight. Also, I was unaware that power LED's were available to the general public until this year (I knew of their existence, just didn't realize they were being used in flashlights LOL http://tinyurl.com/m67wqdx this was the article that tipped me off, "those don't look like LEDs" I sez to myself, and it sent me researching what these things are).

Last edited:

braddy

Enlightened
Until leds came out you weren't missing much, the inadequacy of the available pocket lights and the constant replacing of bulbs and batteries was a nuisance.

bkb

Newly Enlightened
My first led light was a niteize led upgrade for my mini mag, the one with three, 5mm leds. What junk, it wasnt much brighter than the original bulb. Made me think leds were junk. That was about 10 years ago. Sold it at a yard sale a few years ago for a quarter.
Fast forward to 2012 when I dicovered this forum. Didnt take long before I ordered my first real led light, a Zebralight sc600. It blew me away (still does). I still have it and about a half dozen other awesome led lights. Gotta love CPF.

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
My first was a streamlight keymate that ran on button cells. Still have it but don't carry it anymore. The lights that really got me started was a Fenix TK11 XRE, and a 6P/M60 setup. Still have and use the latter.

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
My first was a Peak Shasta. Small, weak, bluish by today's standards. But, it was uber cool at the time. LOL

And yes, I still have it.

Spenny120

Newly Enlightened
My first real led light was a streamlight stylus penlight, 10 lumens, probably 2004. Went thru a handful of them, don't have my first one, but I still have one in my collection.

groutboy_1

Enlightened
Can't forget about my dad. He operated an armed security detachment for a gated community. I helped acquire the 1st LED taclights for him and some of his s/o's. The new kid's toy on the block; The inova XO3 at 85Lms! My dad still has it in the glove box of his car!