What was your first 'real' LED Flashlight? Have you still got it?!

glg20

Newly Enlightened
C2 Centurion that I got from a young man that came back from the sandbox in 2007. LE friend now has it.

steve4940

Newly Enlightened
Nite Core EA-41. Still en-route to me so technically I really don't have a first LED light yet.
Why a Nite Core EA-41? I read a pretty good review, albeit the NC reputation is not stellar, and it was the group buy/code at Gearbest for $47.99 that pushed me over the purchasing edge that I couldn't refuse. I'm not certain how much I am capable of moding this thing as I have seen a post of the AE-8 being factory sealed with red Asian loctite and if that is the case with the 41 (along with my moding inexperience) I doubt I will do much to it. I have gone ahead and have a Butler Creek Blizzard (size 5) flip up scope cover to add, and am getting a sheet of red photo gel to cover the scope cover lens.

rhodiuman

Newly Enlightened
Arc LS1
Lost it at work years ago.
Wish I still had it.
Definitely a form follows function no frills tool that served me well for years.

Prepped

Enlightened
IMG_0526.jpg

The year was 2011. I had just graduated from Parris Island, S.C. Being the young, naive Marine that I was, and with a bunch of cash in my bank from boot camp, I decided to indulge myself. Not knowing much about flashlight technology, but knowing that Surefire was synonymous with quality, I headed down to my local Gander Mountain, saw this E1l Outdoorsman, and without doing a minute of research brought it for somewhere around $150.00, and boy am I glad that I did. Not only was I astonished by the performance, I couldn't believe what this light could handle. It went everywhere with me. I lost it during the Marine Corps ball last year, and almost had a panic attack (it later turned up a year later, but I'll get to that). I had carried it with me for three years, every single day, without fail. When I lost it, I knew immediately I needed a replacement, but didn't have the cash to spend on another. I looked around, and decided upon the Olight M10 Maverick. It's familiarity was comforting, and I liked the user interface. That quit on me after about six months (and is away right now hopefully being repaired by Olight). Again, I took to the internet to find another suitable replacement, and the rest is history.

My buddy eventually found the E1L in his gear. We were heading out to the field for training one day, and he yells my name and throws it at me. I almost cried.

D6859

Enlightened
My buddy eventually found the E1L in his gear. We were heading out to the field for training one day, and he yells my name and throws it at me. I almost cried.

:') Did you try if it still worked or was the battery empty?

SemiMan

Banned
A Lumileds demo flashlight from 2000. Still works just fine, through the battery combination (1 CR123, 1 C-Cell) is strange to say the least.

Prepped

Enlightened
:') Did you try if it still worked or was the battery empty?

It still works (same battery), and it's still my go-to flashlight when I head out to the field. It's proven itself as a tank, and when I'm out in the sticks I need a light that I can depend on.
It has the old KX1 head on it, and old style pocket clip, but I don't care. I love this light.

SemiMan, I'd like to see a picture of that!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
No clue what my first LED was. But recently I went digging through various dresser/night stand/desk drawers in my home to see 'just how many freaking flashlights I actually own and stumbled onto an old LED Lenser triplex with the original battery still in it. And it still worked.

I'm still trying to remember where I got it and how long it was used to find the toilet at 2am etc.
Logic tells me it was probably bought at Home Depot after a power outage at some point.

My memory aint what it used to be. The 70's were fun, but I'm paying the price now.

uofaengr

Enlightened
First real one was a Surefire LX2 Lumamax. I've moved on to others since, but it's seen a few hard falls and keeps on rocking.

GunXpatriot

Newly Enlightened
My First LED flashlight was a Mini-Maglite. Not the "Pro" BS they have now, or whatever they're calling it. Got it back in 2012-ish. Had the Full power, low power (which has generally be adequate in very low light), Strobe (not a good one) and SOS mode. Great flashlight for the price, with great brightness and great features.

I had lost it, and bought a Mini-Maglite "Pro". Yeah, it was twice as bright, but dimmed significantly and only had like a 2 hour runtime. No other modes. They came out with the same flashlight with multiple modes with the new brighter LED, but the runtimes still weren't worth it IMO. The full power was the standard "pro" at like ~2 hours or so, and the low power was basically equivelent to the high power on the older LED found on my go-to Maglite. And of course, it again had the strobe and SOS...

But the fact that they'd ship an ultra-bright LED flashlight with extremely low (and antiquated) run time of 2 or so hours, makes me question the decision-making at the company. Thank God they came out with the multi-mode version with brighter LED, but for the same (or similar) price, it just seemed like a cash-in. And that pisses me off about the company...

I'll get off my soapbox now, though...

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
My first was an inova clone 9 very blue led, that led to a Fenix Lt1 two aa light.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always consider the CMG Infinity to be my first "real" LED flashlight even though the output is anemic.The first CMG was the red led infinity and I do still have it, though in fairness I rarely part with lights they just get "retired" into my collection. The CMG Reactor and the INOVA XO (the orignal with the TIROS lens) were the first two with "power" LEDs but ICR the light that was actually number one. I found flashlights before I discovered CPF so that must have been around 2004 ? What an amazing transition we have seen in the last 10 years!

Last edited:

gclyn

Newly Enlightened
My first real "good" led light was the Thrunite Ti3, then within a week I got the TN12 (2014).

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
First great led, Pelican M6, then really the Surefire E1L & E2L.
That Pelican.... It's my curse, I don't trust it lol.
It bites.
Springs are strong enough to refit into my spare car front struts.
So, it's relatively new still lol.
Trades??☺
Edit
Kidding.. Only a modder would get that from me.

Last edited:

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
My first real LED flashlight was a SureFire 6P LED. 80 lumens of ice cold light from the P60L's SSC P4. :D It's the light in my avatar that I've had since I joined CPF in 2007. :)
I still have it today, but a Malkoff M61 219 sits in place of the P60L.

akhyar

Enlightened
First great led, Pelican M6, then really the Surefire E1L & E2L.
That Pelican.... It's my curse, I don't trust it lol.
It bites.
Springs are strong enough to refit into my spare car front struts.
So, it's relatively new still lol.
Trades??[emoji5]
Edit
Kidding.. Only a modder would get that from me.

I still have the Pelican M6 LED (1st gen), Surefire E2e with KL1 led head and Inova X5 in anodized titanium coating (30 lumens from 5 leds)
All these 3 lights already pass a decade old and they all still working fine.
3rd to 5th from right respectively the photo below.

After these 3 lights, I went for cheaper China-brands lights.

image.jpg1_zpstpfbg0tr.jpg

Last edited: