What was your prep for today?

ledbetter

Good job scout24! Regular exercise is something that is definitely missing in my preps. It is something that I need to get going. I'd wager that with dropping 25 pounds, with exercise, that you'll be able to get off of those meds.

Losing weight, regular exercise, and eating right are all great lifestyle choices to improve health but rx’s for chronic ailments for middle age or older people are highly effective for lengthening lifespan even if they come with some side effects. It’s pretty unlikely to ever get off of them, and it’s good to remember that we’re lucky to have these drugs. Of course, they can be expensive and some people aren’t the best patients so to each his own.

Owen

So, self-preservation as a prep. Highly recommended.
Self-preservation would probably dictate not getting in that kind of shape to begin with, but it's great that you've stuck with it.
I could stand to drop 20 myself, though that'd be more about aesthetics than fitness.

My "epically brutal" trip plan has turned into something that's even more exciting(though a bit scary) to contemplate after discovering a known route through an area I would not have otherwise attempted to navigate, and adding it to the mix.
Lord willing that the weather cooperates and I don't aggravate a bunch of screwed up discs, I'll do it, just hope 12 more weeks of training will be enough that it won't be some test of manhood sufferfest kind of thing. Part of the appeal is that it's a huge challenge, but I do want to enjoy it, not just survive it. It's a vacation, after all!
On day 6 of training right now, and weight loss is not even a consideration at the moment, as I need fuel for energy and recovery while my body gets accustomed to such a drastically increased level of activity. That usually takes ~3wks. Trying to lower my bodyfat % at the same time would be counterproductive, so it can wait.
It used to take me 3wks to get back to 100%. Now it takes 3wks to be able to start doing what I consider "real" workouts.
What I really need to lose is about 30 years:ironic:

Owen

All up in the prep, right now! I love making lists, checking gear and tools, and researching for adventures, so have been going around with a big grin all morning.

The internet can be such an awesome resource. Not only did I find an overview of the "Weminuche Highline" earlier in the week, but last night I stumbled onto a Youtube video with 10 minutes devoted to the exact route(the only 1 of 3 that I had no real beta on) that I had added on to my existing trip plan. So much better than just staring at a topo with my imagination running wild!

AND, I volunteered to do some work that required a bunch of tools I seldom use any more, which always gets me excited for some reason.
So I've got a trunk full of favorite tools in my car, and NatGeo maps spread out in my living room floor.
Even threw in one of my Papaw's Starrett straight edges, just because using anything of his makes me smile.
That thing's probably 20yrs older than I am...
1TvDhTk.jpg

:)

ledbetter

Some wise person once said, “The key to happiness is looking forward to something.” And prepping for a trip definitely qualifies. My wife almost enjoys planning a trip as much as being on the vacation. So enjoying the process adds to the experience once you’re there. I have a hard time picking which flashlights to take! Look forward to seeing more pics.

Poppy

CPF Supporter
Owen, listening to your stories and reading your preps, makes me smile :)

Today, I started playing with my Kill A Watt, measuring the wattage demands of various things in the house.

One thing that surprised me was my gas fired clothes dryer. It only draws 200 watts running (spinning clothes) but takes an additional 400 watts for the igniter to heat up and ignite the gas, so that's a total of 600 watts. The igniter draws power intermittently.

Another thing that surprised me was my 5 cu ft chest freezer. It was new at the beginning of covid. It only draws 60 watts when it is actively cooling, and there is no surge.

Owen

Some wise person once said, “The key to happiness is looking forward to something.”
For sure. I feel sorry for people who don't have anything they're passionate about, and actively pursue. I was that way for a whole decade, and sure would like to have that time back! So many more places I could have been...

Owen, listening to your stories and reading your preps,makes me smile :)
Thanks. I try not to go on to the point of being tiresome, but do have an awful lot of enthusiasm these days!

btw, anyone prepping for a trip better be paying attention to the rental car shortage, and current prices.
It varies a lot by location. I'm looking at $1230 in Salt Lake City if I go back to the Uintas, while the same car for the same dates is $598 in Seattle if I go check out the Cascades. Hmmm. Never been to Washington before...

Owen

Though there's a cloud of uncertainty surrounding destinations for my first fall trip out West, due to current conditions and questions about rental car availability, I'm pretty much locked into a return trip to the most remote section of the Colorado Rockies for the second(perhaps only?) one in late September.
These are always 7 days/6 nights, and last time there was so much room left in my 58L pack, even on day 1, that I wondered if I couldn't have gotten away with my 38L.
b3GSBA6.jpg

Now my shelter gets carried inside the pack, and the highly variable weather means a few items that I'd otherwise consider optional become somewhat mandatory, so I wasn't sure if the smaller pack would work.
Only one way to find out!
AKwxac0.png

Had to use the removable toplid that I prefer to do without, but the 38L it is!
'Course if this ends up being my only "big trip", gets a few days added to it, and requires the bigger pack, that's also ok:D

A different kind of prep, but my habit of getting offtrail in sketchy places results in a rough life for the trekking poles. The recent death of a second lower shaft replacement resulted in the purchase of 4 more.
m4XJRmd.jpg

That thing'll be getting some of the new scraped off it tomorrow;)

scout24

Staff member
Self-preservation would probably dictate not getting in that kind of shape to begin with, but it's great that you've stuck with it.
I could stand to drop 20 myself, though that'd be more about aesthetics than fitness.

Your thoughts were noted. :ironic:

Last edited:

Owen

Having to train on the exercise bike just to get the sit bones ready to train on the training bike took a bit longer, but has also been more enjoyable, than anticipated.
Today's prep was 90 minutes of nonstop spinning and sweating that ended with a smile and no discomfort, so I guess it's time to get the pre/mid/post ride supplements out, and see how 50 miles of "see where I stand" on a rail trail goes.
Quite slowly, I imagine, but just the prospect of getting out there and doing it makes me happy.
Mountain biking, sure, but I'm surprised by how much I'm looking forward to riding, period, even on pavement.

bignc

Good job, Scout! Whether it’s staying in physical shape in the first place (either weight gain issues OR testosterone fueled overtraining and overuse injuries- and I’ve certainly done both) fighting unfavorable genes or other unforeseen problems, I am reading in many different places about MINDSET and it’s criticality as a component of survival. In fact, one of the knuckle-draggers I follow or listen to said guys with extra body fat complete Ranger School in more comfort than less fluffy peers but that successful completion of any body type seemed to be directly related to mindset- or psychopathy. :)

So my plan is a little fluff, a little tough and a TON of crazy!

Owen, thanks for sharing your thoughts and ideas and planning!

Owen

Prepping the shelter with longer guylines, so it can be pitched higher for better ventilation.
I first bought a MLD Solomid XL strictly for occasional use as my "bomb shelter" in places where adverse conditions were common, after getting run out of the High Uintas by a forecast for 33-49mph winds with 75mph gusts. Can't say I'd stick around for that, even with a more wind-worthy shelter, but I wanted something that had a chance of surviving it if I ever got caught by surprise.
When my Tarptent Notch finally wore out, I bought the mesh inner for the MLD, and it became my general purpose shelter, too. Never got around to adding full-length guylines, though.
eK6dd9L.jpg

Someone actually asked me about this, recently-they were trying to clean the floor of their freestanding tent with a Shop-Vac:crackup:
I shouldn't laugh too much, because I tried the same thing once upon a time...
Anyway, all you have to do is turn your inner/tent body inside out, and give it a shake.
6URhSIU.jpg

Hooked on Fenix

When I used to go backpacking, I went with an Integral Designs Bug Tent and a Silguides Tarp. Sometimes I’d go lighter if I brought a partner and replace the tarp with 2 Silponchos that I sewed velcro on one end of each (they attached together to make an 8 by 10 foot tarp).Anyway, with the Silguides Tarp and Bug Tent, I could use just the bug tent for warm or windy days, use the tarp for shade or a cooking shelter, or use the tarp as a bivy sack in bad weather. Don’t bring gear that has only one purpose, and plan for contingencies.

Owen

Ramping things up with 8 weeks to go, unless I head back to UT before going to CO the last week of September.
I've gotten so inspired by binge-watching the 2019 Eco-Challenge in Fiji that I'm exercising between double shifts when I should be sleeping(doubt that'll last long!).
Y'all should watch that race. ALL of the people they focused on made me want to do more, and be better, at *everything* in my life, not just outdoor pursuits. Every single one of them...
I've also been watching Becca "Little Skittle"(who it turns out has been hiking with a friend of a friend of mine) on youtube as she does a SOBO thruhike of the CDT.
Beautiful young lady, and I want to get my god-daughter to watch her videos.
I wonder what the odds of meeting her are, as I'll be using the CDT to connect my loop in a couple of months, and maybe hiking out to The Window and Rio Grande Pyramid.
That would be so cool.

Training hike day before yesterday.
P6qQy6n.jpg
Ugh. Might ought to get my diet straight and drop that extra 20lbs if I'm gonna run around in tights:cautious:

2hrs on the stationary bike yesterday before a double shift...
Vp01STU.jpg
Then a training hike today after going home for a couple of hours.
QoKTM91.jpg

Only doing right at 5 miles, due to time constraints and my Achilles deciding to stage some kind of protest, but increased the pace to 1:06:01 today, which means I'm jogging on gentler downhills and uphills.

Never thought I'd be buying running tights, but I got some UnderArmour ones on impulse, and have to say that I LOVE these things. The way I'm built and the way they're cut, I wouldn't be embarrassed to wear them alone, but so far I've been erring on the side of decency.
Mid 90s and heat index ~108, wonderfully comfortable. I don't feel hot, or even notice that I'm sweating. They're magical!

And, no, I'm not the least bit manic from sleep deprivation!:rolleyes:

Owen

Lots of prep today, between logistics, a workout, and a training hike.

I'm having a lot of uncharacteristic self-doubt about my CO trip plan, so have not only planned an alternate in case conditions don't allow it, but established two bailout points where I can get back to a trail if I've bitten off more than I can chew.

The shuttle for my trip will be the Durango-Silverton train that I last took in 2014. The "limo" service(blacked out Mercedes sedan-totally cracked me up arriving at a TH in that thing) I used in 2018 drops you off at a pass the highway goes over, and adds ~15 miles total of hiking to and from the road.
That was fine, and a necessity when the railroad was down for the count after a mudslide took out some track, but I love the train ride, and look forward to doing it again.
FB_IMG_1628319515017.jpg Now that's a sweet shuttle! The ride hasn't changed, but they're currently using an ugly yellow diesel engine for the run with stops for backpackers at a pair of wilderness access points.
The 1920s vintage steam one was super cool.

Really putting the hammer down on physical prep at 6wks out.
Down 5lbs in the last 12 days, but only started my "weight loss phase" 3 days ago. Lots of veggies, zero dairy or added sugar, massive calorie deficit, and the majority of my carb and protein intake centered around pre and post workout or training hikes. Figured I'd drop ~17 more before heading to CO. Maybe so, but that's still not top priority.
Whatever it takes to get me through the 50-75 mile bike rides and 30+ mile overnighters coming up...

"Tested" Oakley Prizm Trail Torch lenses on today's hike. You know you're into it when you get trail-specific glasses!:ROFLMAO:
20210806_134535.jpg
Wish I'd gotten the smaller version of these XL lenses(Oakley Flak 2.0 XL), but they do give better contrast than what I normally use.
Gear testing is my favorite kind of prep!

Poppy

CPF Supporter
We had a loved member here, WoodsWalker, who sadly passed away. He often tested/demonstrated a variety of camping equipment. Your posts remind me of his.

Owen

Sunday(after church, before double shift):
1hr Cybex Arc Trainer, max incline without knees going past parallel, level 100 of 100

An hour later, as I went to make my first round at work, my back decided it needed to have its first episode in months, and I could barely stand or walk.
I stopped for coffee ~8am, and by the time I got home, was getting around pretty well. By 9am, my legs were pumping when I was just standing in place, wanting to go, go, go, and by 9:30am I was starting my first lap of the local trails where I used to mountain bike a lot, and have a loop right at 5 miles.

Today: training hike; 10 miles in 2hr 40min
Not bad for someone who couldn't put weight on their left leg 2hrs before starting!

I've never really trained for hiking, except doing 6 miles of steep hills every morning for a few weeks before my first trip to Utah over a decade ago.
Visualizing the huge climbs I'll have to do on this CO trip while working out has turned into an addiction. I guess that's a good thing, given my objective.
Part of me wishes I had a whole 'nother year to get ready, but I'll try to keep making the most of the available time!

Owen

Route planning/familiarization...
3bagfaa.jpg

n3P4ziL.jpg

...and something a little different. If you're going to order a lot of stuff online, packing tape and materials are a good thing to have on hand. Wrong items sent, plus a DBPower li-ion jumpstarter(more prep!) with defective function switch going back.
xTqahvk.jpg
Convenient that I taped this stuff up on the counter where my protein and some preworkouts I've been testing were. At least for me, that ENGNSHRED on the left is the absolute fire. Came off the Arc Trainer after pounding for an hour, and felt like I hadn't really done anything(!).
Definitely taking some of that stuff to the mountains. Climbing fuel!:D

Owen

Just a little over 1hr on the bike, yesterday(since I came in 8hrs early for an unexpected double shift), and debating between 1.5hrs of Arc Trainer plus yard work or a 15 mile "training hike" after work.
edit: Or maybe just another hour on the bike before a nap. These COVID shots making people sick are gonna have me at 80hrs this week, when I was only expecting 56...

For some strange reason, I downloaded some maps for the High Uintas, and checked prices for flights and rental cars 2 weeks before leaving for CO. Rental car's dropped by $320...hmmm.

Water filtration "upgrade"; at least I hope it's an upgrade, and doesn't clog up. My friend switched from Sawyer to Katadyn BeFree a few years ago, and sent me one to try out. Having filled up his HydraPak Seeker water bag for him a couple of times when we went to CO together in 2018, I remembered how convenient its larger opening was compared the Evernew bags I use with the Sawyer Squeeze and Micro, and got a 2L version for the BeFree.
hwigHRc.jpg

Last edited:

The-David

Flashaholic, Formerly KE7AYF
I started riding my moutian bike to work 2 2 miles one way. I am almost to 100 miles sense I started!

Bought a lot of the speciality tools for working on bikes and have been learning about maintaining my own.

Owen

My training hikes have all been under tree cover, and my Arc Trainer and stationary bike workouts all in an air conditioned gym or house. Today, I decided to cover up like I was hiking above treeline, and "train" in direct sunlight, leaving the riding mower in the basement, in favor of the small push mower that I use for under my deck, around shrubs and stuff.
92F/64% humidity(108F heat index again).
4.5hrs, excluding 10min breaks whenever the mower ran out of gas, 1 preworkout, 2 intraworkouts, 4 electrolyte tabs, 3 bananas, and ~7L of water later, I weighed the exact same as at the start, and would have been hopping on the stationary bike for a while if it weren't already past my bedtime.
Definitely taking the mixer cup and some powdered go juice to the mountains(maybe the High Uintas, after all, as well as the Rockies)!
I like it, the lawn mower thing. Much more like actual hiking, which being on a ridge with the yard slanting a bit in two directions also contributes to. Done weekly, it'd have little or no benefit on its own, just like a weekly hike with no other exercise, but a great sub for a shorter and more intense workout in a 5-6 day per week routine.
And it's a win-win since my grass got cut:D
Whether I do a long hike, or finally get the real bike out for an actual ride tomorrow, it's bound to be more pleasant than pushing that @#&! lawnmower around!