What was your prep for today?

Wurkkos

Owen

Thanks, I can't wait to take them. Probably just smartphone pics this time, no camera, since I'm likely going full weight weenie on this one.

Poppy

CPF Supporter
I used to shoot DCM matches 200 and 300 yards, iron sights. The last time I went shooting with my brother we used his scoped 308 at 500 yards. I squeezed off a shot and he called it 9:00 6 inches to the left. I held 6 inches to the right and squeezed off a shot. Bullseye!!!

I squeezed off another shot. Another Bullseye!!!

I'm done!
Don't you want to shoot anymore?
Nope... (thinking to myself, you know your going to pull the next one, quit while you are ahead.) No thanks... I don't want to make you feel bad.

Actually I have seen him shoot golf balls at 500 yards.

Poppy

CPF Supporter
I started my generators yesterday and let them run for a few minutes.

This weekend, I might lube and start my snow blower. I think I need to adjust the governor on it, because it wasn't running quite right last year. When I reinstalled the carburetor, last year, I may not have put the governor back in the correct spot, although I took a picture of it before hand.

I saw a youtube video of how to set it, and it seems easy enough.

scout24

Staff member
Rotated my in-vehicle just-in-case morale boost and sustenance ammo can (critter proof...) today. 10 oatmeal packs, 4 chicken noodle soup packs, 6 granola bars, 8 hot chocolate packs, some sugar packs and powdered creamer packs. 10 instant coffee packs and 10 tea bags, too. MSR Pocket Rocket stove, 8oz fuel canister, metal cup, two sporks, bic lighter and a Sawyer Mini water filter. Fits under the seat of my truck, with other things that may come in handy if weather prevents travel and I'm out and about. I keep 4 16oz plastic water bottles down there too, they expand nicely when frozen and don't leak. Been carrying them for many winters. (Not the same ones, I do rotate.)

Attachments

• 20210930_142216.jpg
    20210930_142216.jpg
    255.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 20210930_143416.jpg
    20210930_143416.jpg
    275.1 KB · Views: 8

Poppy

CPF Supporter
Winter is coming, and so is the prequel to "The Game of Thrones" :unsure:

1. I turned the pilot back ON for my furnace, no sense in waiting until we NEED heat, and have the thermocouple fail to keep the pilot supplied with gas.

2. I have a big bay window that allows many, many, solar BTUs to heat my house. In the Summer, I electrostatically stuck a mylar emergency blanket to the lower 2/3rds of it. The top 1/3rd was shaded by the roof overhang. That made a significant difference in helping to keep the house cool, especially when the AC unit was struggling in the multiple 94+ heat waves we had this summer. At any rate, last week we pulled the blanket off of the windows. They came right off, no mess what-so-ever. We'll certainly do it again next summer.

Booga

I'm off to Scotland in a few weeks so really should test out my new tent (Lanshan 1) and make sure I can put it up, no parts are missing etc before I get there. We're planing on staying in mountain shelters but it's always wise to take a tent just in case they are really busy or the roof's blown off in a storm or something.

I've stocked up on sachets of dried vegetables which are great for adding to camping food to add some flavour. Lidl supermarket sell them but only in the one week a year that they have a whole extra ailse of Italian style food so I tend to buy a few packs to see me through the year. They have a pretty long shelf life.

I'm also thinking of buying a gas powered parabolic heater like this one:
https://www.camperite.co.uk/kampa-glow-1-parabolic-heater/
No I won't be using it in a tent, but in a stone shelter it could add a bit of heat. Does anyone have experience with them?

Poppy

CPF Supporter
It says: Perfect for fishing bivvies and smaller tents when mains hook up is not available and you need to take the chill out the air.

I imagine that it might be good to warm your hands, or face, but NOT a stone shelter.

You'd probably do better to use a single burner stove to heat soup or hot chocolate to heat yourself up on the inside.

I used a much bigger version in a unheated, (I am going to guess, 20' x 20' ) garage when it was 15 - 25 degrees F outside. It raised the temperature some, but it was still cold enough to continue to wear insulated coveralls.

Stefano

Today I applied some household aluminum foil to the outside windows.
My bedroom faces north and is exposed to strong winds even though the glass is thick and thermal, the room is colder than the others.
This is just an experiment, I am not very satisfied because of the noise, with the internal window closed you can hardly hear it but the wind moves the aluminum.
I came up with this idea because I saw a video that the German government is releasing right now to prepare people for blackouts, in this video you can see an elderly woman with no electricity in the house lighting up by lighting candles, applying a space blanket on the windows and warm up with a candle placed inside a ceramic vase (strange message ... do they want to prepare us for something?)

I have a lot of space blankets but I have not sacrificed one of them for this, now I want to see tonight if the noise of the aluminum moving with the wind bothers me otherwise I will use a semi-transparent adhesive plastic that I could put on the outside of the glass or maybe the instead of aluminum.
The ambient thermometer in the room will tell me if these sheets are useful but I think so.

Attachments

• IMG_0518.JPG
    IMG_0518.JPG
    325.6 KB · Views: 3

orbital

+

Making some DC powered filament led lights {Really an individual light, but I'm going to make a few}
I'll power it @ 17V via a 4 cell lithium pack for my lamppost up by my garage. If power is out
Always want light up there.

Picked up some ceramic bases, some 'returned' 12V filament bulbs (someone couldn't figure them out)
solder on a connector for the 4-cell, bit if shrink tube & that's it.

Amp draw was a small question, but I'm confident its really low.. I will do a test run first checking voltage after say 6hr, then at 10hr.

Last edited:

orbital

+

Poppy, maybe I talked it up more than what it really is.
Basically it's lamp guts;;; but without the lamp or shade lol

bulk ceramic socket, led filament bulb, nothing special wires; but instead of going to AC, it'll be to DC.
The battery will be 10Ah @ 16V DC
I'll try to clean up the build & it'll be placed in my lamppost, probably hanging down (I'll take out the bulbs in there, cover the AC sockets & hang the DC light)
...waiting on some parts now.

If power is out, just need some light up there w/ a freestanding light,,, I really dig filament led bulbs
(been running some outside for several years that are still going strong)

Last edited: