What was your prep for today?

Lumen83

Lumen83

Enlightened
I've never had windshield washer fluid freeze. I live up further north of you where the winters are harsh, and we get a lot more snow. 3-4 feet in a storm isn't unusual once or twice a year, and anything under a foot is considered a dusting. We are a short drive from Canada and in higher elevation which really makes a difference. And we love everything about it. Last week, night time temps were between -20 and -25, which wasn't too bad because the wind was calm. I haven't bought any special washer fluid. Maybe its because the only kind they sell up here is designed to withstand extreme cold. I'm not sure. But I thought it was strange to hear that it could freeze down in New Jersey where the winters are comparatively mild. It sounds like you are getting a taste of the arctic for yourself down there this year. Good to hear that you know what to do with it and how to prepare.

Anyway, the reason I mention all of this is because it reminded me that what one group of people consider unusual, rare, disasterous, etc., other people live with on a daily basis. My friends in Southern states end up without power, stuck on roads that are full of pile ups, with schools and all businesses closed when theres a couple inches of snow. I don't think we close school up here or have much to talk about when we get a foot. A couple inches seems to be a daily occurrence. I remember multiple schools closed in MA because of a bear sighting in a neighborhood down there. Up here, bears walk through our yards all of the time. We run outside and throw things at them and bang pots and pans when we see them in the yard because they'll break into anything they can and destroy whatever they think has food in it.

The good thing about a prepper, is that its only those who are prepared that do well when the unusual or rare events strike for that particular area. If you're in the central east coast and you get an unusual cold snap, you are going to be okay if you are like yourself and realize that you need more cold hardy antifreeze or washer fluid, you need to keep things in the car like warm clothes, some mylar blankets, some food and water (water filled with electrolyte/salt tablets to prevent it from freezing at 32), etc. just in case you are caught in your car on 95 in a pile up and help isn't coming for a while, whereas the rest of your neighborhood is going to be in a complete panic and without any idea on how to go about their business under circumstances that others find completely normal. Heck, maybe even that many would consider mild.

Last edited:
idleprocess

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Anyway, the reason I mention all of this is because it reminded me that what one group of people consider unusual, rare, disasterous, etc., other people live with on a daily basis. My friends in Southern states end up without power, stuck on roads that are full of pile ups, with schools and all businesses closed when theres a couple inches of snow.
There is minimal infrastructure for dealing with the ~once annual accumulation of ice that most southern areas see. Municipalities tend to have sand spreaders that can be fit to dump trucks and a small stockpile of sand to help with major roads, will occasionally rent graders to remove stubborn ice accumulations, and some state transportation agencies have means of spreading preventative de-icing compounds on highways in advance of probable ice storms.

Snow removal (a bit pointless since snow tends to sit atop a strata of hardened sleet) and salt-spreading equipment are all but nonexistent. I gather that many southern municipalities and states will go through the economic analysis every few years and always reach the same conclusion that as infrequently and briefly as it ices over, the present minimal (by northern standards) strategy is all that can be justified.

The power grid in Texas has routinely nearly collapsed under events less severe than in 2021 - something that's magnified by its near-complete isolation from the rest of the country. I'm sure the lack of a repeat performance during last week's major winter storm may be cited as a success of the minor reforms that happened in 2021's aftermath, however the storm wasn't exceptionally intense and likely not even a '10 year' storm like 2014, 2011, and a string of other near-collapses of the grid in the face of a winter storm.

Monocrom

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Supporter
New Get Home Bag.
Vertx Gamut 2.0 with Premier body armor (highest rating version).
Not cheap! But definitely worth it. Certainly easier than the alternative.
Liberal amounts of baby powder + assistance in putting on a vest.
There's another brand that makes a thinner panel at the same rating.
Though oddly, the panel for the very same pack is smaller overall.

ledbetter

ledbetter

Enlightened
CPF Supporter
New Get Home Bag.
Interesting products. So what’s the strategy with the protected backpack? Keep it on while fleeing trouble? Take it off to hold in front of you to confront somebody? Hold it like a shield with the left while returning fire with the right? All of the above?

kerneldrop

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
New Get Home Bag.

Where do you take such a backpack?

I saw on a website it said "TSA approved."
That's good stuff...while technically approved, they get antsy when body armor is on a carry on and end up auctioning it off with Microtech clones.

Hold it like a shield with the left while returning fire with the right?

Wonder what the hit:miss ratio is with one-handed firing. lol

ledbetter

ledbetter

Enlightened
CPF Supporter
I don’t think TSA would even notice this, especially if piece was slid into laptop section of my goruck bag, or even just in a bag loose. Just a nylon covered pad. And though one hand firing is lousy without practice, bag could add stability if it wasn’t too heavy. Probably throw you off though. Even a flashlight hold under your shooting hand is a pain. So yeah, back to my question, how do you use this? Maybe best for hide in place scenarios or prone.

Poppy

Poppy

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
It could protect your back from "The Walking Dead" but zombies usually go for the neck anyway. LOL.

EDIT:
With all the current clamoring recently in the media about "gun violence" in NYC, if I had a night job there and had to walk the streets at night, I suppose that it could offer a modicum of protection from a stray bullet. If I worked security where I was particularly concerned about being a target, I'd go for a full vest.

Last edited:
Monocrom

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Supporter
Interesting products. So what’s the strategy with the protected backpack? Keep it on while fleeing trouble? Take it off to hold in front of you to confront somebody? Hold it like a shield with the left while returning fire with the right? All of the above?
Pretty much all of the above. Though rather than fleeing, you'd hit the dirt if shots rang out, and try to position it in front of your head for protection. No need to intentionally confront someone, but yes you can switch it up and wear it as an improvised chest rig for protection. The shield concept is spot-on though.

Will say I haven't flown with it and have no intentions to do so. So really couldn't answer the TSA question.

Poppy

Poppy

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
Experts are warning about possible cyber-attacks backed by Russia.

Considering that communications (including banking), water, gasoline, and maybe even natural gas supplies may be disrupted for a week or two, I'm going to review my preps.

I don't have enough water on hand to regularly flush the toilet, I don't know what I am going to do about that.
I'll fill the two empty 5 gallon gas tanks for the generator. That alone can last me a week of intermittent electricity.

Although I have water filters, for camping, I'll pick up an extra three cases of water, 40 bottles each.
Both of my BBQ 20 pound propane tanks are full.
I'll review how much cash I have on hand.

I've become reliant on google for information. If comms are down, that would not be good. I should make a hard copy, or at least a digital copy of info that I might need, locally instead of up in the cloud. Info, like, how much bleach to sterilize a gallon of water.

scout24

scout24

Staff member
Poppy- if you have a bathtub, google "water bob" to add greatly to your on-site water storage in anticipation of an emergency. And don't forget you can drain your water heater. 👍

F

Flashlightmaster2021

Newly Enlightened

Considering that communications (including banking), water, gasoline, and maybe even natural gas supplies may be disrupted for a week or two, I'm going to review my preps.

I don't have enough water on hand to regularly flush the toilet, I don't know what I am going to do about that.
I'll fill the two empty 5 gallon gas tanks for the generator. That alone can last me a week of intermittent electricity.

Although I have water filters, for camping, I'll pick up an extra three cases of water, 40 bottles each.

I've become reliant on google for information. If comms are down, that would not be good. I should make a hard copy, or at least a digital copy of info that I might need, locally instead of up in the cloud. Info, like, how much bleach to sterilize a gallon of water.

Look no matter what happens everyone needs emegency food and water that last few months. I`m admit I don`t have that but I`m poor.
We have food and some water but nothing stock pilled. Cash will be king and i don`t worry too much about these thing . Life will go on and always does. Yes have some food and water and flashlight and powerbanks. Just remember people survived with out all the tech we have.

Poppy

Poppy

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
Poppy- if you have a bathtub, google "water bob" to add greatly to your on-site water storage in anticipation of an emergency. And don't forget you can drain your water heater. 👍
Thanks scout we actually use our tub regularly. But while talking a shower it struck
Me that I have a lug a loo and lots of plastic bags. I don’t know if there will be any warning for a loss of water if there is I can line 6 garbage cans with plastic bags and fill them up

Poppy

Poppy

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
Look no matter what happens everyone needs emegency food and water that last few months. I`m admit I don`t have that but I`m poor.
We have food and some water but nothing stock pilled. Cash will be king and i don`t worry too much about these thing . Life will go on and always does. Yes have some food and water and flashlight and powerbanks. Just remember people survived with out all the tech we have.
@Flashlightmaster2021 and @The-David
There is a legacy thread written by a member who has passed on, but he and the Mrs. Bugged IN during Hurricane Katrina, in New Orleans. Sub_Umbra He titled it "an emergency Water Epiphany".
IMO and others, it's a well worthwhile read.

The-David

The-David

Flashaholic, Formerly KE7AYF
@Flashlightmaster2021 and @The-David
There is a legacy thread written by a member who has passed on, but he and the Mrs. Bugged IN during Hurricane Katrina, in New Orleans. Sub_Umbra He titled it "an emergency Water Epiphany".
IMO and others, it's a well worthwhile read.
I have spent a ton of time backpacking and camping. I have a bit of water storage, i went with water treatment systems rather than water storage. Here in the PNW there's a lot of surface water.

knucklegary

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
Recycled food storage barrels (50gal poly) make excellent rain water catchment container. Set-up under downspouts. Great for watering plants, flushing toilets, etc..

California has tons of storm water runoff and most of it is lost into the Pacific ocean. Coming from a State that's prone to droughts doesn't make much sense

desert.snake

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF Supporter
Recycled food storage barrels (50gal poly) make excellent rain water catchment container. Set-up under downspouts. Great for watering plants, flushing toilets, etc..

California has tons of storm water runoff and most of it is lost into the Pacific ocean. Coming from a State that's prone to droughts doesn't make much sense
But you still have to look at the laws, I remember that in some state a person was fined or arrested for collecting rainwater. True, this is unlikely to happen in an emergency, but some especially zealous workers continue to impose fines even in an emergency.

upd.
So I found it was Oregon, he collected a lot of water

But in general, I see that water collection is regulated in many places.

Last edited:
idleprocess

idleprocess

Flashaholic
But in general, I see that water collection is regulated in many places.
In the United States this often has to do with water rights and legal agreements such as the Colorado River Compact. Rain water ultimately feeds rivers, upon which there are claims on the flow with varying degrees of seniority. Collecting rain water could reduce the flow of water into rivers and thus impinge upon the water rights of those downstream.