What was your prep for today?

Poppy

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
@KITROBASKIN. That's one heck of a nice trailer.
Yes, I had the same thought!

Tonight I am topping off a bunch of small power banks. My daughter will be on a cell phone intensive excursion, and she won't always have access to a wall wart. My larger bank, is just heavier than she wants to deal with.

It's nice to have options! :)

edit: Once we were in Manhattan. We went for dinner at "Bubba Gumps", a cute place.
I carried a small battery bank, she did not. Both of our phones needed a recharge. I had charged mine with the battery bank. She didn't bring one.

So while we were eating, I had my phone by my side, and my bank recharging 20 feet away. She was without her phone, recharging 20 feet away behind the cash register.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
Powerbanks are your friend. When I work at night on roads there are usually accidents due to stupid drivers. In about 99% of the cases the driver has a cellular phone with a near dead battery.

This is sort of a what did you prep/what did you do with your flashlight post.
Before sundown yesterday I drank extra liquid, like a half gallon after sweating about that much at work. Now keep in mind I had been replenishing all day as needed. At around dark I drank another quart of liquid and took an electrolite suppliment for todays sweatathon.
At about 12am, 2am, 3:30am and 4:30am I used a low output flashlight to see my path to the bathroom.

Poppy

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
So silly!
For about $1.50 one can pick up a phone charger that plugs into the car's cigar lighter, or powerport. The cheap ones are not super reliable, so I always had a spare.

Later I bought a dash mounted one that I swapped out my cigar lighter port. It is always hot, so I don't need the accessory on for it to operate.

I typically plug my phone in when ever I am in the car and bring it up to 80% capacity.

1657288724116.png

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Powerbanks are your friend. When I work at night on roads there are usually accidents due to stupid drivers. In about 99% of the cases the driver has a cellular phone with a near dead battery.
Actually forgot about it. Bought not just a powerbank but a power station last year. Not all of them are big, bulky, heavy affairs. Smallest one I could find was the Westinghouse iGen160s. Limited capacity, of course. But very portable. Works well for my needs.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
So silly!
For about $1.50 one can pick up a phone charger that plugs into the car's cigar lighter, or powerport. The cheap ones are not super reliable, so I always had a spare.

Later I bought a dash mounted one that I swapped out my cigar lighter port. It is always hot, so I don't need the accessory on for it to operate.

I typically plug my phone in when ever I am in the car and bring it up to 80% capacity.

View attachment 29696
I keep a coily cord 12 volt accessory charger in my vehicle and use it when I need a quick charge. Any other time a usb port charges things nice and slow. But generally when I leave home for work my devices are charged up. I carry 3 phones. One supplied by the mother ship for business, one of my own choosing for personal and the 3rd is an unlocked one used soley for playing music via bluetooth. The latter lasts a week between charges since all antennas except bluetooth are turned off.

Stashed in a cubby hole is a power bank with enough capacity to charge 2 phones from 25% just in case.

I supplied the Mrs a 2x18650 lantern that can act as a power bank or road flare if need be in her vehicle. Plus she has cords galore.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Having a portable battery jump starter,, like NOCO, HULKMAN or the many out there.
You can also use a 4S lipo with some custom clamps. (I have a Hulkman , but I use my 4S almost exclusively for starting)

= In an emergency when time & eliminating the 'hassle factor' is important,,,
A battery jumper is smart Prep for your car or even your generator :)

Poppy

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
Today, I noticed that the low battery icon was blinking on my air conditioning thermostat. I swapped in a new pair of batteries. Fortunately I have a small stockpile of AA batteries.

If the AC went out because the power to the thermostat died, that would be really bad.
1658324079807.png