What was your prep for today?

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

After snowblowing today & clearing any slush from the rake & auger, I came to the decision that I'm getting some Rust Converter.
Snowblowers have such a hard life & mine needs a bit of tcl this spring..

Rust converters chemically change rust into a hard phosphate,, problem solver & PREP for sure!
Went w/ Xion Lab 2-in-1 Rust Converter & Metal Primer

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF Supporter
Back in the day, I use to get gals of phosphoric acid to clean off surface rust from sheet metal. Scrubbing with 3m abrasive pads, it will leave a clean phosphate coat, prepping surface for when doing auto body work.The acid is also good for cleaning grout in bathroom walk in showers and such..
Boy, times have changed, $60 gal today.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

What's nice about the rust converters, there's zero prep work ~ none.
no sanding, no wire brush, no dust/particulate cleanup from sanding, rusty surfaces can even be wet.

win

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Bought a new gas-mask. (Polish MP5.)

I have two others already with several filters.
Newer designs, and better overall. But MP5 is for a future cosplay.
Thought about getting a prop mask but.... Why?
Except for guns, for obvious reasons, if you need a prop; better off getting the real thing unless the real thing is hideously expensive. Or, doesn't actually exist in the real world.

I read somewhere of a Comic-Con style convention years ago in which the main convention floor filled up with smoke. Everyone made it out safely. Good to know if that happens to me, I'll already be prepared. Grabbing people, pulling them out with me. Going back in for more people. For some odd reason, an image of me in costume, carrying out a young woman dressed as Princess Peach popped into my head. I finally got the girl. It's a me, NOT Mario!

News reporters show up to interview everyone. "I think I got rescued by Artyom from Metro 2033. Seriously, dude spoke fluent Russian."

Sorry, writer's imagination kicked in for a bit. Since the included filter will likely be expired, bought a new filter for it from a different website.

Poppy

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
+

What's nice about the rust converters, there's zero prep work ~ none.
no sanding, no wire brush, no dust/particulate cleanup from sanding, rusty surfaces can even be wet.

win
I tried a Rustoleum rust converter on the fenders of my Crown Vic years ago. I didn't coat both sides of the fender, maybe that was necessary, but it didn't stop the rot.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF Supporter
Deep rust, blasting inside out is best. I've seen spot blasters, so parts removal is not always necessary. Although afterwards, sometimes you'll end up with a fender that looks like Swiss cheese.

Poppy, is your Crown Vic undercoated?

I have seen road salt damage in older cars from East. Wheel wells, doors, rocker panels, they don't last long.

Poppy

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
I didn't have it undercoated, so it only had whatever protection that it came with from the factory. I think it was about 15 years old when the paint on the lip of the wheel wells started to bubble up. She was never garaged, and lived her whole life in the salt belt of the NE winters.

That car didn't owe me a nickel. At 260,000 miles I was rear-ended and that put an end to her long life of 19 years.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ordered a new Biolite stove to replace my old first generation one that has a dead battery. With the price of fuel these days and risks of power outages everywhere, it seemed like the right time to upgrade to the newer model. It’s nice to be able to cook a month on a $6 40 lb. sack of wood pellets while everyone else is emptying their wallets buying propane, butane, and Coleman fuel. Plus being able to charge my lights with the power produced by the thermoelectric generator.

The Hawk

Newly Enlightened
I am trying to stay in shape. I ride my exercise bike 30 minutes every morning, go on a 45 minute walk every afternoon, and lift weights twice a week. I started a version of the Keto diet a couple years ago. I weighed 203 lbs at that time. I am now at 167 lbs.