What was your prep for today?

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are in a power outage situation how fast are you capable of recharging the LiTime 5,888Wh $1200 24v @ 230ah battery? (Solar and AC charging options.) What equipment are you using for (solar controller/charger, inverter).

Asking in the context of immediate need of emergency power and not just extended solar charging.
+

My batteries are a supplement, always have some charged up used in 24V config.
they don't power my whole house.

When the sun is just right, I can get over 800W*charging off my bigger panel setup, around 320W from my smaller single panel setup.

* that'll go from say 100W~800W~100W for 10 hours as the sun moves across the sky.
the smaller setup I can get more consistent wattage because I can move/angle it easy

All my panels are rigid frame, use a HQST 40A solar controller, Samlex PST inverters

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

With my LFP batteries, I'm very particular with balancing* them.
Charging they really don't go out of balance; but in a full use, they can be off a full volt in 24V setup after discharge.

You can also use balancing as a way of 'charging' other batteries.
I do this with my smaller 12V 100Ah ones I charge outside and use that voltage to charge my large LFP units
..doing this the current flow can be very high, flowing from higher voltage to lower,, just like pressure
My clamps would get rather hot doing this

So this evening I made a couple more honcho balancing cables with 100A clamps

= Balancing batteries is crucial & part of my daily prep of LFP batteries always in use.
If it's for two 12V units, or those connected in series for 24V, it's all important.

*simply connecting Pos. to Pos. & Neg. to Neg.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey orbital, where did you get those 100A clamps?

Just to let folks know, LFP batteries have internal battery management systems that typically handle balancing individual cells within a battery. Things get more involved when multi-cell batteries are placed in series to up the volts, but there are external battery balancers for that.

Sounds like orbital may be using diy assembled batteries, and that he may not have a BMS incorporated? I replaced a BMS in one of my batteries (in warranty). It was easy with the factory supplied video. SOK batteries! But I also use EPOCH. I too keep an eye on cell balance but not obsessively so.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey orbital, where did you get those 100A clamps?

Just to let folks know, LFP batteries have internal battery management systems that typically handle balancing individual cells within a battery. Things get more involved when multi-cell batteries are placed in series to up the volts, but there are external battery balancers for that.

Sounds like orbital may be using diy assembled batteries, and that he may not have a BMS incorporated? I replaced a BMS in one of my batteries (in warranty). It was easy with the factory supplied video. SOK batteries! But I also use EPOCH. I too keep an eye on cell balance but not obsessively so.
+

clamps from Amazon

Because I use my batteries in series, they are usually out of balance a little bit letting my inverters go into shut-down or warning.
Use my multi-meter so often you'd think I was nuts,, ok maybe just little a bit nuts:grin2:

My LFPs' are LiTime (Ampertime), Powerqueen & HQST,,, all have 100A internal BMS or greater

Lips

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was wondering if you floated away. National news has been awfully quite about all those people in Houston out of power in this heat. Wonder why!

How heavy was the wind and rain?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I was wondering if you floated away. National news has been awfully quite about all those people in Houston out of power in this heat. Wonder why!

How heavy was the wind and rain?
Millions without power.
Sadly, realistically, only a tiny minority of them prepped.

MyUsernameTX

Newly Enlightened
Deleted my post and put it in the other one, I was too slow I guess!

Yeah, wind was BRUTAL. Rain wasn't all that bad. The wind did blow some water into my gable vents, I will be fixing that, thankfully no real damage

Had some fruit trees blow over, I staked them back up and they seem fine

A few old fences blew over, I temporarily stood it back up

No real damage to speak of. All my preps worked as expected. But not other peoples! Endless people with portable generators they neglected, and now don't start!

Lips

Flashlight Enthusiast
Millions without power.
Sadly, realistically, only a tiny minority of them prepped.
That was me in 2020, twice! I thought being 200 plus miles from the coast was enough. I believe they were Cat 4's when they hit the coast and Cat 1 in my area. 5 days in August and 5 in Sept no power and sold the generator to a friend. A lot of people in Houston are watching their refrigerators turn into waste dumps thinking the power will come on any minute like I did. 5th day a crew from Arkansas came down the road and flipped each breaker on the lines which was all it took to turn most power back on.

Yeah, wind was BRUTAL.

That constant wind hitting peaks and valleys is something to see. I wouldn't hang around the coast with a CAT 3-4-5. The power companies and insurance companies will raise rates all across the region to spread the cost. My insurance got jacked across the board this past year already.

Wonder how solar panels on roofs handled that wind lift causing potential leaks down the road...

MyUsernameTX

Newly Enlightened
I have 46 panels on the roof, they are not going anywhere. The mounts all use 1/2" lags into the rafters

In fact, a structural engineer I hired to check out some other work I was doing told me that it has made my roof significantly stronger, as now the entire thing is held together and better protected from the wind

Lips

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bet allot of the regular installs people have, DYI or contractor, were not done as well as that.

I have a new roof coming due to a hail storm claim and was thinking about putting some panel mounts on my roof at that time. I watched some install videos on you-tube they just drilled & screwed thru the shingles. That gave me pause & I figured they would flash somehow around all those penetrations. Is that the normal way the mounting system is done? That and the insurance company problems if you don't go thru the permit & inspections with all the high voltage etc. and have a catastrophic claim...

MyUsernameTX

Newly Enlightened
Just got these 100w Ecoflow solar panlels as part of the Delta 2 Kit, really nice!

1720903344925.jpeg

1720903353552.jpeg

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Not a huge fan of Harbor Freight at all but they have Emergency prep. generators and equipment at reasonable prices. Definitely worth checking out.... before a disaster hits and your neighbors ransack the shelves.

Lips

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have 46 panels on the roof, they are not going anywhere. The mounts all use 1/2" lags into the rafters

In fact, a structural engineer I hired to check out some other work I was doing told me that it has made my roof significantly stronger, as now the entire thing is held together and better protected from the wind

Saw some DYI panel dealers doing installs using caulking with screw holes thru shingles. I can't see that lasting for years. The flashing looks more of a pro solution...

Solar Instal.jpg

Solar Instal 2.jpg

MyUsernameTX

Newly Enlightened
If you're using good screws into a rafter, I don't see much problem. Screws are pretty darn strong

Your roof itself probably isn't as strong as the solar install

Lips

Flashlight Enthusiast
f you're using good screws into a rafter, I don't see much problem. Screws are pretty darn strong

Your roof itself probably isn't as strong as the solar install

Structural not an issue as you mentioned it will help hold everything together. 47 panels is probably 3,300 lbs spread out.

I'm talking about Water Penetration as an issue as there is allot more holes in the roof. 5 - 10 - 15 plus years down the road as the shingles age and get more brittle.

Watching some of the install videos with just Dap on the screw holes caught my attention. I had to change an architectural roof out after just 12 years due to roofer not flashing 7 skylights properly.

Delta 2 Kit

You got a Delta 2 unit also now?

MyUsernameTX

Newly Enlightened
Ah yeah, come to think of it, mine have the flashing (Maybe wrong word) that slips under the shingles, no chance of a leak. That picture does look a bit suspect on the rain front

Yep, I ordered the Delta 2 with the 2 x 100w rigid panels for $659. The panels arrived and are FANTASTIC quality and just the right size. Delta 2 gets here Monday