What weapon light are you using on your AR15?

benvr8

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys, maybe you can help me out. I'd like to run an original Surefire G2 Nitrolon on my rail but I need to find a reasonable mount that will both hold up in the long run but also not cost an arm and a leg.

Anyhow, that's the plan but could use any advice you all can offer.

What is a good mount that will work?
Will the G2 hold up to the recoil?

Illum

Flashaholic
depends on what you shoot, AR uppers range from .22LR to .50BMG...
Whether it'll hold up will also depend on the mount though, some suppliers include reuseable locktite to help screws from coming loose under recoil.

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi guys, maybe you can help me out. I'd like to run an original Surefire G2 Nitrolon on my rail but I need to find a reasonable mount that will both hold up in the long run but also not cost an arm and a leg.

Elzetta
Impact weapon components
Daniel Defense
larue tactical
Midwest industries

ashwednesday

Newly Enlightened
6f0a472ff7c92aff59cefe3595053dc6.jpg

This is the Solarforce L2M with just one cell. I used the single-mode 0.8 - 4.2v drop in led and a momentary press Surefire 6P clone tailcap I found on ebay. It's in a GG&G 1" flashlight ring, which is actually just a Weaver K12 1" low profile scope ring with a matte grey paint job.

711a9cba199ea6722e5a889fcc32a96c.jpg

The single battery keeps the swing weight as light as possible. Both the tailcap and the led are sprung, so it handles the recoil. I like it mounted at the 11:00 if possible, as far forward as possible. This allows me to actuate it with my support hand thumb easily to identify targets, but isn't where I will necessarily be pressing it accidentally too easily. It can be twisted to be locked out like a regular Surefire 6P tailcap. It's momentary press so I can identify and maybe even blind the opposition, but when I let go it stops telling bad guys where I am.

On a budget, I don't think you can do better.

Last edited:

ashwednesday

Newly Enlightened

The G2 Nitrolon is an incandescent light rather than an led, so it isn't as long-lasting / shock- resistant. The G2X is sprung at the end rather than direct contact, it might do better.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
6f0a472ff7c92aff59cefe3595053dc6.jpg

This is the Solarforce L2M with just one cell. I used the single-mode 0.8 - 4.2v drop in led and a momentary press Surefire 6P clone tailcap I found on ebay. It's in a GG&G 1" flashlight ring, which is actually just a Weaver K12 1" low profile scope ring with a matte grey paint job.

711a9cba199ea6722e5a889fcc32a96c.jpg

The single battery keeps the swing weight as light as possible. Both the tailcap and the led are sprung, so it handles the recoil. I like it mounted at the 11:00 if possible, as far forward as possible. This allows me to actuate it with my support hand thumb easily to identify targets, but isn't where I will necessarily be pressing it accidentally too easily. It can be twisted to be locked out like a regular Surefire 6P tailcap. It's momentary press so I can identify and maybe even blind the opposition, but when I let go it stops telling bad guys where I am.

On a budget, I don't think you can do better.

Good choice.
I have an L2M with one cell setup and it is noticably lighter than the other folks' one cell 3P type body. And your choice of tail cap probably doesn't add enough weight to notice, yet adds reliability and versatility....

When I pocket carry the other makers light with surefire parts at both ends I know I'm carrying a flashlight. With an all solarforce set up I forget I'm carrying it.

I opted to keep the solarforce clicky on it for cosmetic reasons as a charcoal like the L2 while the z41 has a slight gloss. But if the L2 gets drafted to duty I have an z41.

You can save a few more grams (if grams matter) with the round head. And a wee bit less sight blocking without the anti-roll corners. (Unless you prefer the corner as a site aid in that 11 o'clock position). It's like $8 with a lens and bezel.

Last edited:

CLHC

Flashaholic
I had the SF.300 but have since lost it in a vehicle accident. Now I'm looking into the SF.XC1. Will see in the days to come. That's all.

Inebriated

Newly Enlightened
Old thread is old, but might as well share.

X300U-B at 12:00 on my BCM. I've used an Inforce WML up there, as well as a Sureifre G2XT, and I've been happy with all of them. Prefer the X300 by a considerable margin, though.

ETA -
The G2X setup;

The WML setup;

Last edited:

Inebriated

Newly Enlightened
^ Nice set ups. I see you like some long barrel action. Very nice.
Thank ya sir! It's a 16", but believe me, if I weren't opposed to the SBR process, both practically and ideologically, I would be using 12.5" guns. I like an 18"-20", and I love a simple irons-only mid-length 16", but for what I do, a 12.5" would be a perfect balance between handguard space and velocity.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since this thread has been resurrected, I'll post a few quick photos of a few of my current setups.

Here's a Surefire KE2-A head on a Viking Tactics L4U body, with Z68. It's in an offset Noveske KeyMod mount.

Surefire-VTAC%20on%20BCM_zpsyvqdf6r1.jpg

Here's another Noveske KeyMod mount, but this one houses a Malkoff MD2 with first generation Malkoff MDX22.3 M61T Throw Head.

M61T%20on%20BCM_zpszf341vka.jpg

It's not an AR, but since it's an M4, I guess it can participate. This 6P houses a Malkoff M61N in an AVA Tactical mount. The 6P's a bit too glossy, so I need to hit it, and the above MD2 with some matte paint.

Benelli_zpsemev22rl.jpg

.....and when I really need to light up a space, I can replace the KE2-A with a TorchLAB WASP head.

Wasp%20on%20BCM%20Upper_zpsjn1ddvqz.jpg

Last edited:

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
One thing I miss with KeyMod direct attachment is QD ability. I used to buy LaRue LT606 offset mounts for my DD Lite Rails. I'm actually still running them, on a couple ARs. I can always go KeyMod to 1913 to LT606, but then I lose the low profile of direct KeyMod attachment.

One of these days, I'll pick up an X___Ultra, but do enjoy the flexibility I get from Surefire E and Malkoff MD2 series bodies. Right now, I actually have a Malkoff Hound Dog head on an MD3 on a 20" medium profile barreled 7.62 NATO AR.

I'm waiting on Vinh to get in the Eagletac G25C2 MKIII to take the place of the Malkoff.....which initially had an M61N. I hought it'd be a good storage spot for an extra Hound Dog.

Here's an old pic of it. Ha Ha Ha
HoundDogon762_zpsbd6fa230.jpg

Last edited:

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's a setup from my short lived pressure switch era.

Pressureswitchandslingmountcloseup.jpg

Lightandfrontsightclosup.jpg

Here's the Viking Tactics/KE2-A set in a LaRue LT606.

68Lightsideview_zps45415fda.jpg

Last edited: