What weapon light are you using on your AR15?

n0k1a

Newly Enlightened
Very useful thread since I just picked up an M&P 15T myself. :)

This one has the Troy quad rail system, so there are lots of possible configurations. I think I'm torn between a rail mount for a 6P and an X300. How does the X300 beam pattern compare to an M61? How about the useful range?

At least with the 6P option, I could upgrade it incrementally (and start out with an existing light), but the X300 is attractive due to being designed for the purpose, as well as being smaller and lighter.

Any recommendations for a good quick-disconnect mount for a 6P (other than the SF M79, which sounds like its polymer construction may be a bit weak)? Something in all black aluminum would be ideal to match the rest of the hardware. The Vltor SMQ-OCG looks nice...

Shawn L

Newly Enlightened
I would go with the X300 n0k1a. I was running the X400 on my AR15 and it ran like a champ plus it's smaller than the 6P.

jgraham15

Enlightened
Any recommendations for a good quick-disconnect mount for a 6P (other than the SF M79, which sounds like its polymer construction may be a bit weak)? Something in all black aluminum would be ideal to match the rest of the hardware. The Vltor SMQ-OCG looks nice...

I would recommend the Gear Sector 6P mount (though it isn't a QD mount)

Review here - http://www.militarymorons.com/weapons/wlights2.html

Or of coarse you can't go wrong with the LaRue Tactical mount

Review here (about halfway down the page) -http://www.militarymorons.com/weapons/wlights.html

DaisyCutter

Newly Enlightened
Here's mine:

379684672.jpg

I'm using a Surefire in a VLTOR mount with a Tangodown foregrip.

I looped the extra wire up into the handguard, and wrapped it in aluminum foil outside the heat shield. I've fired a fe qualification courses with it and never had a problem. However, with enough sustained fire it may eventually melt/short the wire.

BTW, it's a STAG lefty AR.

n0k1a

Newly Enlightened
I would go with the X300 n0k1a. I was running the X400 on my AR15 and it ran like a champ plus it's smaller than the 6P.

How do you like the laser on the X400? I've looked into that one as well (not literally :D), but saw some comments about the laser being tricky to adjust.

I've seen the recommendation to get a separate light and laser so that a single failure doesn't take out both functions, but then, SF makes darn reliable hardware...

Agile54

Newly Enlightened
Gear Sector Without Question, Owned LT & Now ....

As jgraham15 above so accurately stated get the Gear Sector mount from Jason Trusty for either the 6P or X300.

I bought one from Jason for my mini-Scout & am ordering a 2nd after this post. Nothing wrong w/ the LT mount,

have owned 2 but don't have a need for QD + the Gear Sector is just as well made, cheaper & Jason is a stand up fella.

Shawn L

Newly Enlightened
How do you like the laser on the X400? I've looked into that one as well (not literally :D), but saw some comments about the laser being tricky to adjust.

I've seen the recommendation to get a separate light and laser so that a single failure doesn't take out both functions, but then, SF makes darn reliable hardware...

The X400 is great and the laser is awesome. I'm not worried about failure with any Surefire light I own they have all stood up outstanding.

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok as I promised. Pictures of real weaponlights on not so real weapons

Top: Nerf Recon (heavily modified with cosmetic airsoft parts)

Bottom: Nerf Raider modified with airsoft gear.

nerfweaponlights.jpg

Xacto

Enlightened
Ok as I promised. Pictures of real weaponlights on not so real weapons

Top: Nerf Recon (heavily modified with cosmetic airsoft parts)

Bottom: Nerf Raider modified with airsoft gear.

Somehow that post must have slipped past me.

Awesome looks! Never thought those NERF guns could be dressed up to look so good!

Thank you very much for taking pictures and posting them.

Cheers
Thorsten

UVvis

Enlightened
I like the scout lights in Larue Mounts:
sbrs2a.jpg

This is one of the Larue 660 offset mounts. I like this one for using brighter lights for varmint killing.
long3.jpg

A really good economic alternative is Viking Tactics mount. It's like $20 and adding a Surefire G2 isn't expensive.
mids2.jpg

foxtrot824

Enlightened
Solscud007, I love the Nerf set up!

The closest I come to an AR15 for now is my Ruger 10/22 sporting a archangel dress up kit, Magpul VFG and a SF Scout light rocking my triple XP-E R3 build.

Tack Driver

Newly Enlightened
Surefire/Viking Tactics L4 (basically a YX2C/E2/Z68 weaponlight) in a VTAC offset mount. Wouldn't change a thing about this combo. Light weight, bright, long throw, and bombproof. This thing has been run through some hard use since this pic, and has never skipped a beat.

Now, ask me what is on my shotgun :D and/or my AK:D

100_1568.jpg

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Solscud007, I love the Nerf set up!

The closest I come to an AR15 for now is my Ruger 10/22 sporting a archangel dress up kit, Magpul VFG and a SF Scout light rocking my triple XP-E R3 build.

Thanks

Pics of the whole weapon? I like 10/22. My friend took a cheap airsoft P90 and shelled it around his 10/22. Interesting triple XRE. Must have been a bit of work to machine out the reflector.

Last edited:

foxtrot824

Enlightened
Thanks

Pics of the whole weapon? I like 10/22. My friend took a cheap airsoft P90 and shelled it around his 10/22. Interesting triple XRE. Must have been a bit of work to machine out the reflector.

It was actually an XP-E not XR-E triple. I don't think I could have fit the optics in the e-series head for an XR build. Here is a link to the build
I like the dress up kit but if I were to do it again I would probably buy the Nordic kit or just buy the M&P22 for a better quality kit.

n0k1a

Newly Enlightened
I was looking at the SF X400, but I actually just got a Streamlight TLR-2S. It has similar specs, seems to be well made, and appears to get very good reviews. It had three things going for it over the X400:

- Available in a local store
- Strobe mode
- $160 cheaper

So far, I really like it. It blows me away that even though it is only rated at 160 lumens, its tighter hotspot is actually even brighter than that of the M61 in my 6PD. It lights distant objects amazingly well through the scope, but it also has decent spill.

Oh, the same store had an inexpensive rail mount for 6P type lights, so I picked up one of those as well.