What will you look forward to when covid is over?

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why wait for something to be over that may never end? Live your life now because there is no guarantee you’ll have a tomorrow. I’d rather not live in fear and waste my life away. Sure, COVID sucks, but so did H1N1. There will always be another thing to worry about. If your location prevents you from doing what you want, change it. Go where you can be happy and don’t let politicians dictate what you can or can’t do. Sometimes you just have to vote with your feet.

That said, I just got back from a trip to Ocotillo Wells, CA. No masks, no one asking for proof of vaccination. Just a bunch of guys and guns with off road vehicles having fun. You can get back to normal now. You just have to find somewhere that a politician with a stick up their butt on a power trip is nowhere to be seen, instead of being in charge of every aspect of your life. Covid isn’t the only thing in the world you could die from. You could get hit by a bus or develop cancer. Are you going to let others prevent you from doing what makes you happy to somehow prevent your death from those possibilities? 100 out of 100 people die. Don’t let trying to prevent death stop you from living.

J

jtr1962

Flashaholic
That sounds good in theory but why do things I know for a fact increase my risk of contracting a virus which has killed 850,000+ and counting in the US by official numbers, probably over a million unofficially? And that's with mitigation measures. I live with my mother who is 100% dependent upon me. I couldn't do much even if this ended tomorrow. Forget moving. My last move was in 1978. We had far less stuff but it was such a hassle I'd rather never move again. Besides, honestly I'm glad to NOT be in places where those in charge are taking a laissez-faire attitude towards this. We got lucky in that the mortality rate is high as viruses go but not horrible. If/when something comes here with, say, a 40% mortality rate, let's see how these places fare.

100 out of 100 people die eventually. I'm 59. If I take decent care of myself I could have another 35, 40, maybe even 50 more years if I'm lucky. Long life runs on both sides of the family. Those who take reasonably good care of themselves make it into their late 80s or 90s at least. I'm in no hurry to die, and in no hurry to play Russian roulette with my life. If you or others want to, go ahead.

There are also potential medical advances which could slow, stop, maybe reverse aging. I'd like to live long enough to see those come to fruition. It might be if I die from covid or something else entirely preventable, I won't lose just 30 to 50 years, but I might lose hundreds of years, possibly thousands. So that's why I'm not taking chances. This will be over one way or another relatively soon. Either it'll mutate into a strain which is no worse than a common cold, that strain will take over, and I won't care if I catch it. Or we'll reach herd immunity and it'll just run out of people to infect before another strain becomes common. I'll toss a coin as to which outcome is more likely but I'd say by 2024 at the latest this will be a distant memory. In the meantime, like I said, I can't do much anyway the state my mother is in. In a way, covid is a mixed blessing for me.

Poppy

Poppy

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
I decided to google Octillo Wells, CA.

Could it be that it is geography that sets our "mindset" apart more than political beliefs when it comes to covid?

H

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
I’m not saying to go out and do something stupid. If you are unhappy with your life because of the restrictions in your area and have the ability and means to do it, you can move to somewhere less restrictive. If that isn’t possible for you, take a short vacation somewhere less restrictive to relieve some stress. Depression and suicide can kill you just as easily as Covid. It was nice to get away for the weekend and go camping, off-roading, and shooting with friends in the desert. Plenty of u.v. light out there to kill Covid too. Took minimal risk but got to enjoy myself. You can too.

If you wait for Covid to be over, you might as well wait for a cure for the flu or common cold to start living your life. How do you know what you want to enjoy will even be available when things get somewhat back to normal? 1/3 of California businesses closed from the first round of lockdowns. What you want or where you want to go may not exist by the time you decide to get on with your life. Do what you can now in the safest way you feel comfortable doing it. Don’t waste away your life locked up and miserable.

idleprocess

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I’m not saying to go out and do something stupid. If you are unhappy with your life because of the restrictions in your area and have the ability and means to do it, you can move to somewhere less restrictive.
Not hearing chafing against .gov edicts so much as the inherent risks of certain social activities.

If you wait for Covid to be over, you might as well wait for a cure for the flu or common cold to start living your life.
Also not sure that any large segment of the population is waiting for the news that COVID has been eradicated ala smallpox in 1980 so much as for the level of community spread, hospitalizations, and other indicators to return to a more normal level - such as what we saw April-June of last year.

Last edited:
J

jtr1962

Flashaholic
I’m not saying to go out and do something stupid. If you are unhappy with your life because of the restrictions in your area and have the ability and means to do it, you can move to somewhere less restrictive. If that isn’t possible for you, take a short vacation somewhere less restrictive to relieve some stress. Depression and suicide can kill you just as easily as Covid. It was nice to get away for the weekend and go camping, off-roading, and shooting with friends in the desert. Plenty of u.v. light out there to kill Covid too. Took minimal risk but got to enjoy myself. You can too.
Believe me, I don't really enjoy stuff like that, even pre-covid. I don't really have anyone to travel with. Traveling alone stinks. Then on a more practical note both my siblings work, so who takes care of my mother while I'm gone (can't afford to pay people, don't trust strangers anyway, and wouldn't have a person with unknown contact history in my house under current circumstances)?

Also, this has zip to do with restrictions in my area. I've been mostly ignoring that and what others say or do. I'm going with my comfort level, plus the data. Might want to read this.

If you wait for Covid to be over, you might as well wait for a cure for the flu or common cold to start living your life. How do you know what you want to enjoy will even be available when things get somewhat back to normal? 1/3 of California businesses closed from the first round of lockdowns. What you want or where you want to go may not exist by the time you decide to get on with your life. Do what you can now in the safest way you feel comfortable doing it. Don’t waste away your life locked up and miserable.
I'll feel relatively safe when positivity rates are down around 0.1% or less. It'll happen in the not too distant future.

Also, keep in mind in order to feel relatively safe in the current environment, for me that means N95 masks. You don't like masks. Well, neither do I. If I have to wear one to feel safe I'm only going out when I have to, like to buy groceries. Trying to do other supposedly fun things with an N95 mask would take all the joy out of it.

3_gun

Enlightened
Never have not felt safe in the last 2 years so I've done what I've wanted, when I've wanted to do it as much as possible. I'm not in a risk group. I'm not worried about an illness that more than 1/2 the people who've had it only find out by taking a test. I'm not getting a shot for what in my age group has a lower death rate than the flu. I'm not following advise or orders from "experts" who have been on every side of the issue. I've pretty much done the same things I've done since 2010

raggie33

raggie33

*the raggedier*
im lucky all my family stayed healthy from civid. sadly i did lose a freind to covid . ps my vision is very bad with no glaases they say i have something called floaters. and with mask my glaasses are uslesss. ps if i get surgery for floaters will they give me lasik while there at it?

Status
Not open for further replies.