What would get you excited about flashlights again?

Greta

Flashaholic
So I was having a conversation with someone today about how the flashlight industry has basically gone flat because there's really nothing new going on. Everyone has access to Cree's now, everyone is doing high, low and strobe... (to death!), there's just nothing NEW. As a result, I think most of us are quite simply... BORED! :candle::tired:

So what would YOU like to see happen in the flashlight industry to make it exciting again? What would it take to catch your interest enough to want to follow along and TALK about it... and be anxious to BUY it?

kletus

Newly Enlightened
A miniature wearable would be nice. But me thinks batterys need to advance more to make it more than a gimmic.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Lights than can effectively run off of different battery options. Honestly, other than the Pelican 8060, and my own non-standard SureFire 9P (Custom Leef body that can accept 3xCR123 and 2x18500 thanks to the use of one of Gene Malkoff's older M60 drop-ins which is compatible with both types of batteries) there just aren't any excellent options for such a light. (I'm not counting that one weird Energizer model that can apparently run off of three or four different types of alkaline batteries. It's cheaply-made and output is nothing special either. Nor am I counting lights that require a special battery-carrier or adapter to reduce the overall internal size of the flashlight barrel so the light can run on a different type of battery.)

Another idea.... Rechargeable battery technology that is as safe as NiMH but as powerfully as lithium Ion cells.

Those two would honestly get me excited.

(Okay, I'm easily satisfied. Never said I wasn't.)

Last edited:

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast
we all have problems with lighting up objects that may be a long ways away, or maybe rather close. yet most available lights have a fixed reflector. eg: Most of us are familiar with the Maglites and their focusing ability and what that beam looks like (yuck). How about a handheld light similar to the Petzel NAO headlamp currently being sold for $175. The price is still high, but the idea is to solve the far/near problem in a handheld light.

Greta

Flashaholic
This is good stuff gentlemen... keep it coming! I have to admit, I'd really like one that is capable of using different batteries also. And I do wish more rechargeables had the USB option.

A miniature wearable would be nice.

kletus... wearable how? and how miniature? Like compared to what?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
kletus... wearable how? and how miniature? Like compared to what?

His post immediately brought to mind for me, the La Petite Killer.

Tiny, beautifully-made (like a piece of very tasteful jewelry), could be worn around the neck. In an emergency, the tiny and hidden "bezel" could be rotated to produce light. Perhaps at a formal event in case of a power outage.

I'd like to see small jewelry-lights such as that. Oh, but with much more output and increased runtime for their tiny size.

Burgess

Flashaholic
I'm easy to please . . . .

Just want an AA version of Fenix E01.

Is THAT too much to ask ? ? ?

:sigh:
_

Greta

Flashaholic
His post immediately brought to mind for me, the La Petite Killer.

Tiny, beautifully-made (like a piece of very tasteful jewelry), could be worn around the neck. In an emergency, the tiny and hidden "bezel" could be rotated to produce light. Perhaps at a formal event in case of a power outage.

I'd like to see small jewelry-lights such as that. Oh, but with much more output and increased runtime for their tiny size.

I would LOVE to have "light" jewelry! Can you imagine a nice manly bracelet that has a small button you could push to light your way... or read a menu in an under-lit restaurant? Or a tie-tack? YES! And for us ladies? A pretty brooch... or pendant. Earrings instead of a headlamp?!?! That would be jewelry I would buy. Sure it may be a little costly because you'd want it made out of slightly exotic materials... but I'd be all over it! And think about this guys... wouldn't it be a lot easier for you to get away with buying all of your fancy lights if you also bought your lady a shiny new bauble? ;)

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
The rebirth of a fully programmable and reasonably priced light like the old LiteFlux. Just upgrade the emitter and keep the UI. Please hurry.

Geoff

Greta

Flashaholic
The rebirth of a fully programmable and reasonably priced light like the old LiteFlux. Just upgrade the emitter and keep the UI. Please hurry.

Geoff

And see... I wish we could see the "re-birth" of simplicity. Two modes - high and low. No programming, no click five times for this or that or stand on your head while turning the head three twists to the left then two to the right, blahblahblah. KISS - keep it simple ******. On - off. One hand operation.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I'm easy to please . . . .

Just want an AA version of Fenix E01.

Is THAT too much to ask ? ? ?

:sigh:
_

Only light I have that comes close to such a thing is my Original Nitecore EZAA model. (I think I honestly bought the last one before it was discontinued.)

Though not exactly a AA version of the E01. Keep twisting and you get an extra level of output. Plus, the body is a bit thin in order to keep the light from being too fat. So you don't really get the durability of the E01, and the EZAA has a traditional reflector. Hate to say it, but the Nitecore is the closest thing out there; and yet isn't a perfect AA-based clone.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Seeing some new Milky Mods...Robert

+1

Sadly, as is the case with a one-man shop, you can't expect that man to go forever at the pace Scott has been driving himself. Even I was genuinely surprised at how busy he was. (And I knew he had a ton of orders in front of mine.) Unfortunately, cloning technology isn't perfected for humans yet.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I would LOVE to have "light" jewelry! Can you imagine a nice manly bracelet that has a small button you could push to light your way... or read a menu in an under-lit restaurant? Or a tie-tack? YES! And for us ladies? A pretty brooch... or pendant. Earrings instead of a headlamp?!?! That would be jewelry I would buy. Sure it may be a little costly because you'd want it made out of slightly exotic materials... but I'd be all over it! And think about this guys... wouldn't it be a lot easier for you to get away with buying all of your fancy lights if you also bought your lady a shiny new bauble? ;)

Yeah, that's the main reason I want jewelry-lights to become more common. She gets some nice baubles, I get to buy more lights and she can't complain. :twothumbs

Would like a nice manly bracelet. (SureFire's wrist-light is manly. But oh so ugly.)

Never thought of a tie-tac light. That's a fantastic idea!! A gold tie-tac with a diamond in the middle of it. Perfectly centered. But it's a small and very bright LED emitter instead!

Last edited:

Greta

Flashaholic
So here's another question to add to the discussion... What do you think is the biggest reason you have cut back on new purchases and/or getting involved in discussions here on CPF (or any other place you may frequent)?

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
1) cradle-charged 14500 or 2x CR123A pocket-rocket w/ deep carry clip and moonlight

2) nitecore SRT3 w/ integrated green laser and UV LEDs instead of the stupid red/blue

3) buck/boost drivers! 1000 lumen lights these days are really quite silly, use them for a couple of minutes and they fall out of regulation already and start getting dimmer from there

4) bluetooth remote control and configuration via smartphone app. and the flashlight must not suck

Monocrom

Flashaholic
So here's another question to add to the discussion... What do you think is the biggest reason you have cut back on new purchases and/or getting involved in discussions here on CPF (or any other place you may frequent)?

For me, four reasons:

1) Realized awhile back that I truly do have enough lights to last me four lifetimes. (Used to joke about that on CPF. But it turns out it's true!) I know, I know.... No such thing as too many lights. But on a personal note, I found it very hard to justify to myself buying more lights in addition to the ones I have. (Hell, I enjoy giving away lights but that still has not put a dent in my large collection.)

2) And another contributing factor regarding buying more lights is that all of my bases are already covered with the ones I already have. And then some. While output numbers are going through the roof, I already have a handful of output monsters. Yes, in terms of sheer lumens number out the front, there are quite a few new offerings that look impressive as Hell. But you get to a point where you realize it's not as though "Darkness" gets exponentially darker every year. Thus requiring brighter and brighter and even brighter flashlights as the years go by. I'm honestly satisfied with my custom Leef-bodied SureFire M4, my SureFire M6, my 35watt Sam's Club HID, and my Fenix TK35. I don't have this feeling of lusting after a 1,000 lumen LED light about the same size or slightly smaller than my older incandescent M6. That M6 puts out closer to 650 lumens on a fresh set of CR123s, and then settles down to around 500. Chasing lumens is a losing game.

Along with that, other than lumens numbers; I'm just not seeing anything remotely impressive from ANY flashlight company in recent years. (I'd say about the past three years or so.) Just no "Wow" factor. Plus, a couple of companies seem to be taking steps backwards. Streamlight and SureFire are both getting rid of even their more popular incandescent models. (As much as I like inca. lights, I can understand streamlining a company's offerings with regards to slow-moving models, but even the ones that seem to sell well? Why do that?) And I'm sorry, but ever since Paul Kim left SureFire; we're seeming more and more of these slippery (literally), kinder and gentler SureFires. Whatever happened to the days when the checkering on aluminum SureFire models could literally saw through the bodies of lesser aluminum lights made by other companies? When I pick up a SureFire, it should feel as though I'm holding a cheese-grater in my fist. It should not be as smooth as a baby's bottom. And about as slippery as a damp bar of soap. Who decided to take SureFire in the kinder and gentler direction? And why? I have no clue. I'm just glad I bought every SureFire model that I wanted back when SureFire was known for its lights having aggressive, cheese-grater style, checkering. And I feel sorry for those who recently came into this hobby and missed out on the Golden Age of SureFire.

3) I got into watches. While being a flashaholic is actually a rather cheap addiction, being a WIS (Watch Idiot Savant) is easily one of the most expensive hobbies out there (without getting into car collecting). I have a ton of truly excellent lights. Can't say that about my small and humble collection of watches. Plus, I'll get this out of the way. While our hobby has real, practical, purposes to it. Getting into watches.... The exact opposite! That's where the "I" in WIS actually comes from. That hobby makes no sense, and has no practical purpose to it at all. In fact, those addicted to watches end up paying thousands even hundreds of thousands for watches that are less accurate and sometimes substantially less durable than a $12 No-name, cheap, Made in China, quartz watch.

Doesn't change the fact that I've been bitten by the watch bug. (Though from what I've seen of my fellow WIS, that little guy wasn't very hungry when he bit down on me because it's blatantly obvious that he bit down a whole helluva lot harder on nearly every other WIS I've ever met or encountered.) Still, there's just something so special and beautiful regarding a finely made mechanical watch. Open up a quartz model, and no clue exactly how it works. Not so with an old-fashioned mechanical model. You literally see all the gears and springs. You can see just how it works. Shake up a mechanical watch with a self-winding rotor (an automatic watch), and you can hold it up to your ear; then you can hear its little "Heart" beating. Technically you can do the same thing with a baby. (Though obviously don't shake it up first.) But it's just a smile-inducing experience doing that with a watch.

Unfortunately an IWC Mark XVII isn't what you'd call "inexpensive." Neither is a Breitling Super Ocean Heritage in 42mm, or a Tudor GrandTour, or an Omega Planet Ocean. While a Mido Multifort is far less expensive than those other watch models but has restrained good-looks that make it worth owning, and any Damasko is going to be a sign of an absolute true WIS that only other like-minded individuals will notice; even those watches are significantly more expensive than some of the flashlight models available today as the "Latest & Greatest."

A new, more expensive, hobby combined with nothing exciting coming from companies that make products for an old hobby.... Though not entirely gone, just another reason why interest is waning in that old hobby.

4) Like many flashaholics, although I'm not days away from moving into a cardboard box and begging for spare change, yes; unfortunately in recent years with the economy in the toilet, I'm not doing as well as I should be. Perhaps I'm putting that just a bit mildly. So, even though this hobby of ours' isn't an expensive one; with the combination of already owning tons of lights, nothing new that truly grabs my desire and holds onto it from various flashlight companies, a new hobby that has grabbed my desire and refuses to let go, and the economy still in the toilet thus necessitating a general reduction in all of my hobbies.... All have combined to be the biggest reasons why I've personally cut back on new flashlight purchases.

As for general involment on CPF or discussions on CPF.... Awhile back I noticed I was pretty much posting the very same thing over and over and over again. Basically, warning new members of the potential dangers of using CR123 cells, and how to greatly reduce those dangers. And that was pretty much ALL that I was posting.

Also, some of the old regulars either left or their personalities did a 180. Leaving I can somewhat understand. I miss those guys. The LED Museum, DHart (who now only stops by once in a rare while), 65535, Goatee (whose user-name was literally keyboard characters that spelled out a face wearing a goatee and winking at us). And the rest of the guys. And DM51 too. (And it saddens me that new members will not ever get to know him or what he's done for CPF.) But the personality changes really threw me. Honestly, so different that in a couple of cases I could have sworn that the individual retired from CPF.... And that someone else took over their account. And in every case of a 180, their personality did not change for the better. In one case, a member whom I'm not going to mention who he is. Years ago, I posted something on CPF that made him worried enough to sincerely inquire about my health. Looking back at how he's changed. I ask myself if he'd do the same thing today under the same circumstances. And when I'm forced to admit to myself that the answer is "No," I'm bothered by that realization.

I don't like the new members. They don't seem to have a desire to stick around at all after getting the answers to their "Recommend me a flashlight" question. I'm sure a few stick around. The vast majority seem to vanish afterwards. It's no fun having a discussion with a total stranger. I like seeing the same guys. I like conversing with the other regulars whom I've gotten to know. I don't like it when they leave. Even though I know it happens constantly on internet forums. I like it even less when their personalities do a complete 180. So now I'm back to interacting with a total stranger. Might as well be. Actually, it's even worse than interacting with a total stranger who is completely new. At least the new members might honestly be posting as who they are in real life. Their real personalities. A regular who does a 180?.... What are we supposed to think then? I don't like that either.

Another issue is that flashlight technology really does seem to have plateaued. (With the exception of going brighter.) Seems like it has already been done. Same with interesting topics on CPF. All already been done. The fun, spontaneous topics.... done. Though in fairness, perhaps it just seems that way; to me. (Funny what you can do with a couple of lights designed by a guy named "Henry," a bit of modeling clay, and some free time. And none of the new members have a damn clue what I'm talking about. :() A plateau in flashlight technology will naturally bring a plateau in topics discussing that technology.

All of the above is just naturally going to at least somewhat reduce an individual's desire to come back to CPF as frequently as he used to in the past. One odd thrill for me now is scrolling through a recent topic and finding a post made by a member with a pair of red shoes next to his user-name. Just brings a smile to my face. Once again, new members have no clue what I'm talking about. None.

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
And see... I wish we could see the "re-birth" of simplicity. Two modes - high and low. No programming, no click five times for this or that or stand on your head while turning the head three twists to the left then two to the right, blahblahblah. KISS - keep it simple ******. On - off. One hand operation.

The more I think about it, the more I agree.

I wish SureFire would update their U2. Having owned a Night-Ops Gladius, I can see why that model with its selector ring for set output levels failed so miserably. (Overall very good design plagued by very poor execution of that design.)

But SureFire's U2 is different. Gave one a solid and very simple light that could have its output varied by pre-set levels, thanks to its out-of-the-way-but-there-when-needed selector ring. Unfortunately, all those pre-set levels were set too close together because the U2's highest setting was only 100 lumens. Imagine an updated U2 capable of 400 lumens today, with the same number of selector ring output levels. I'd buy that in a heartbeat!

Unfortunately it seems both the Gladius and the U2 were ahead of their time. While the Gladius suffered from very poor execution of its design, the U2 suffered from reliability issues in which lights stopped working soon after being used by their new owners, or were DOA right out of the box. That hurt the reputation of the U2.

As for simpler lights in general.... Was seriously considering getting a Streamlight Strion. Decided that the LED version would be a better choice for what I planned on using the light for, and then I realized that the LED version was stuffed with extra modes that were all controlled by the tailcap switch. I needed just basic on/off. Nope! Sorry, can't have that! :ironic:

ven

Flashaholic
Lots mentioned so will throw something in i find useful,flood/throw or zoom what ever the term.
BUT
I want the option of tk61 throw,flood of the MM15 ..............BUT i want it ipx8 rated,can lock head by a twist in any position so no accidental "zoom" movement if knocked(head not moved in or out).

Clever heat sinking so no "silly" step downs after a minute......Simply programmable mode to cater for all,on/off or various settings for customisation if desired......

For me that light would do everything i need or want on a personal level,it could not be the VERY VERY best at everything though,just very good at everything.......

That is just a personal view and requirement,i know it wont suit many possibly as some lights do both well without the "zoom"

Trouble though,if manufacturers made the perfect light that did everything then they would sell 1,i know perfect is subjective so dont want to get in too deep.

I should have just said this really..........
A decent ipx8 rated zoom light imo would be good that could be locked in any position so could be used as a fixed light when the owner finds his own perfect balance of flood/thow for their need........

:thumbsup: