What would get you excited about flashlights again?

BVH

Flashaholic
Greta, I'm sure you've seen this but since I didn't see it mentioned in this thread, thought I bring it up with regard to jewelery/wearable flashlights.

The Core Ti: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...itanium-Flashlight-Pendant-(work-in-progress)

My niche on CPF is somewhat small, HID and Short Arcs but I still find it every bit as interesting and fun today as when I joined in 04. I do keep an eye out in the LED section for something to replace my aging 4-7's Mini123 but nothing has hit the sweet spot for me

Any possibility of raising the max photo 800x600 reso to 1024x768 or 1200x900 or so. Many of our beam shots lose a lot of detail being reduced to 800 x600. (Or it is 800x800?)

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
Had LEDs existed 30 years ago, we would have read about it in technical magazines. One of us would draw out a new schematic, another would publish it in a special section and the rest of us would be waiting by our mailboxes for the latest issue to arrive. In the transition from then to now, we adjusted to the new speed of change. But at that new rate, we are also chewing faster through the developments we do have, so we have less time to enjoy them. So now we are at a cross roads. Do we adjust back down to slower developments or will we find more and larger developments to keep the buzz going?

I hate to break the news, but LEDs did exist 30 years ago and I was playing with them then. Granted, the choice was red, yellow, or green, and they were all small indicator type LEDs, but they were still handy. In fact, they formed the display for my TI calculator!

I should add that IR LEDs were available too. As a EE student, I built a little "electric eye" gadget that toggled AC power to an outlet when the IR beam was broken.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I remember being new and it was all so big and exciting here. I kept seeing "just get a P60 drop-in" or "just get a D26 drop-in" and I had NO IDEA what the heck people were talking about. It took me months to figure it all out and understand the ins and outs of it all.
A simple Google search can answer the majority of questions asked by newbies.
People using the Search function also helps Mods. not have to merge threads.
Seeing less than 8,938 new threads per day for "best 18650 battery" or "charger for 18650" or "need new AA EDC" or "best 1xAAA keychain light" would help!
Just search the forums...

If I'm seasoned in a subject area and need to extract some tidbit of information that I forgot/don't know/never learned, then searching a messageboard or search engine is expedient and efficient. If I need to learn commonly-related related tidbits, it takes longer but isn't unreasonable. If I need to learn not commonly-related tidbits, it's really hit or miss.

If I need to spend many hours learn a subject in order to do some small thing - especially when I don't know the terminology - then I will risk the ire of regulars by asking the question directly. Yeah, it might have been done before on page 3 of the particular forum, but I probably don't know that even if I scrolled past it going all the way to page 5. If I know "ballasts" from the AC mains-powered lighting world and get frustrated searching for a LED ballast not knowing that they're commonly referred to as "drivers", I'll probably just ask.

If we're seeing the same X questions asked regularly by people who are new or don't know the subject very well, perhaps we should consider articles maintained by the community rather than forcing people to wade through the ego, opinion, disinformation, errors, and off-topic material that clutters any thread on a subject. Care and feeding of the common protected 18650, what accessories are known to be compatible with the Surefire G2, what kinds of cells can I use with my Fenix L1D ... seems like something we could reasonably maintain with some degree of curation to avoid wiki edit wars and other shenanigans.

bmstrong

Flashlight Enthusiast
The same thing I've wanted for the past 7 years. Fully knurled 6/4 in AA form. Nobody has ever built one. The closest is Mac's knurly but that's CR123 in CP2.

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Tain Flute is beautiful.

image.jpg

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
With lights costing 3 figure sums i would like to see limited edition lights done in hydrographics (immersion coatings).This industry is crying out for this treatment.

I want new lights to be powered by modern state of the art battery technology and not the the stuff from Noah's Ark like C & D cells which are expensive and very rarely used in much theses days.

residue

Newly Enlightened
i missed this thread since i don't visit cpf nearly as often.

i'd probably agree with most of monocrom's thoughts, including "goatee".

as far as the flashlight industry, it's similar to every other hobby out there; unless there's innovation, it eventually gets stale. even smartphones feel like commodities as every model has more or less the same features/specs and represents only a slight improvement over the previous year. personally, i don't see the appeal of potential usb or bluetooth capabilities. how often does one need to program settings? maybe there's some exciting development around the corner but i don't know what it would be. the lumens war has turned into the megapixels of the camera world.

for cpf, i've accepted that it will never be the same. the raffles were fun and i would welcome them again provided they don't require huge contributions. i'm not much of a collector and consider flashlights as tools. in this case, i think i have enough tools and would appreciate more threads about applications of the tools rather than comparing specs all day. that's probably why i've been an advocate of a stories forum; i want to hear how people use their lights other than trying to impress other people or themselves.

wjv

Enlightened
Run-time Run-time & Run-time.

Unfortunately it seems the manufacturers are obsessed with Lumes Lumens and Lumens

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gerber Infinity Ultra with updated 5mm neutral white l.e.d.

Inova X1 with 25 lumen single level, HAIII anodizing, glass lens, and Cree XP-G2 S2 l.e.d. (at that level an R5 l.e.d. can get around 175 lumens a watt in a Quark QP2A). Runtime could be over 10 hours regulated.

Multilevel U.S.B. rechargeable 18650 light with highest bin Cree XM-L2 and rollable solar charger small enough to wrap around it with a mini U.S.B. output for direct charging of the light. Should go from a sublumen low to 1,000 lumens, constant current for levels, no P.W.M., must be waterproof.

Updated Princeton Tec EOS headlight

2AA version of Princeton Tec EOS headlight

USB 18650 rechargeable headlight that can be used as a 5 volt USB power supply as well. Must be waterproof, aluminum, and under 6 oz. Multilevel and have RGB l.e.d.s. I want to be able to change the l.e.d. color, the brightness, and pick the tint of white light at any given moment. Should have a Cree XM-L2 or XP-G2 for throw and RGB l.e.d.s for lower levels and adjusting color and tint.

If possible, I'd like to see an l.e.d. flashlight with a small tritium battery constantly charging up a supercapacitor. When the supercapacitor gets drained from using the light on high, you can just wait for it to get topped off within a day. No charging cables or outside power sources required. This would be a self-charging duty light. It should last around 10 years of daily use. Using the light on low should yield unbelieveably long runtimes.

Last edited:

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't read all the way through this, but I would LOVE an edc light that charged as you moved. I guess something conceptually like the "shake lights" or self winding watches but that, you know, actually worked. My EDC keychain light is the one that I keep forgetting to refresh the batteries in.

Oh and some kind of improvement in "fog cutter" capability :grin2:

Last edited:

Tmack

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't read all the way through this, but I would LOVE an edc light that charged as you moved. I guess something conceptually like the "shake lights" or self winding watches but that, you know, actually worked. My EDC keychain light is the one that I keep forgetting to refresh the batteries in.

We have shoes that have full spring shocks in them. Why can we convert that pressure into power. We could have usb charging shoes!!

Solar ball cap? ;)

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Peizo generators that do just this are still in the lab. One of the issues seems to be that the net power to be harnessed is small yet delivered in difficult-to-capture spikes.

Monocrom

Flashaholic

Oh and some kind of improvement in "fog cutter" capability :grin2:

Self-winding watches are mechanical. The electronic equivalent would be kinetic technology in watches.... Which is mostly a miserable failure outside of Seiko. Even Seiko makes very few kinetic models. You walk, and your movements charge up the battery inside the watch.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
So I was having a conversation with someone today about how the flashlight industry has basically gone flat because there's really nothing new going on. Everyone has access to Cree's now, everyone is doing high, low and strobe... (to death!), there's just nothing NEW. As a result, I think most of us are quite simply... BORED! :candle::tired:

New thought...

I joined CPF after moving to a new city that required flashlights for night riding (bicycle). Unhappy with what I found at the store (5mm), I set about looking for better. That lead to google, which brought me here. If I was doing the same thing today, REI would yield good options in a few minutes. A few seconds at the grocery stores gets a 1-2 gen old CREE.

So yeah, theres less new tech but more importantly, older tech is feeding into more places sooner than it used to. We used to dream of the day we could walk into any store an pick up something usable. Now we can. Like that town on Cars, welcoming the new Interstate.

LGT

Enlightened
A new, more efficient emitter then Cree. Maybe nothing new on the horizon, but it'd be interesting to see a new kid on the block, in it's infancy, and the heated discussions between what's better, Cree or the new emmiterX.

Last edited:

Tmack

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ehh. I found one of those at work last week.

I drive a vacuum truck for downtown Baltimore and it was with a homeless guys pile of stuff.

I guess he was out while his "wife" stayed home with the kids/rats.

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
every once in awhile i check back to see if there is something new and innovative. maybe i plateau'd when i got my custom "grail" light. i miss the times when in order to get high lumens you had to tinker with something custom and spend the bucks. now it's just cheaper to buy it straight out.

to be honest, any real dark activity would get me excited again. i rarely need a light in a city.