What's in your Bug-Out-Bag?

buba

Newly Enlightened
Re: Definitive list of Bail Out Bag essentials?

Its best to have one with you at home and at work or in your auto.

My kits have grown over the years. I now have a single small duffle in each auto that contains auto related and basic emergency supplies. My home BOG is actually a cheap backpack from Costco and a plastic tote. The priority one supplies are in the backpack along including a red cross medical kit and everything else is in the plastic tote.

The contents of the kit you need should be put together ,as others have recommended, based on your location and needs. There are many lists about on the internet including the following.

www.ready.gov

http://www.nyc.gov/html/oem/html/readynewyork/ready_guide.html

http://www.fema.gov/areyouready/index.shtm

www.redcross.org

Enjoy,

Last edited:

HayJab

Newly Enlightened

10 rolls of US quarters. There are kinds of uses for these.

HayJab so states...

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast

What are you bailing out from? There seem to be limited circumstances where you need to bail out, but of course you might be in one of those circumstances. We've had discussions about this before, with natural disasters and such being the main reason you have to get going. Most circumstances of bailing out would involve you leaving you workplace to a nearby location, i.e. if your workplace is on fire or whatever. In this circumstance you just have to get yourself out and whatever it takes to get yourself out, such as lights, mask, crowbar, etc. On the way from your building to the parking lot you probably won't need to stop and build a fire or erect an overnight shelter, but a rollof paracord won't help you get past a fire exit that is chained and locked closed.

magic79

Enlightened

Two things I think are essential that are seldom mentioned:

1. A spare set of car and house keys.

2. If you take prescription medicine, nothing (other than water) is more important than a supply to cover the time you set the bag up to cover..2-3 days.

I never see prescription meds listed, yet I see prybars, 14 sets of batteries, and 100 rounds of ammo listed as being "essential" on some lists. If you stroke out because you don't have your blood pressure meds, that stuff is pretty useless!

Flashdark

Enlightened

KDOG3,

This is the type of question that can have many answers. The only way we are going to solve this is to segregate the circumstances into catagories. For instance:

1. Catagory One: A "Spooker". Get out of town NOW! RUN! Things have gone to hell! GO!!!!! So called because it is standard practice by clandestine operatives to have such a kit (or several) accessible for just such a circumstance. Usually consists of several sets of ID to "wash" out the tracks of an escape route and re-establish oneself with anonymity (just an anonymous place to go would suffice temporarily), a great deal of money to re-purchase necessities and re-trench when you reach safety, and firearms and ammunition to get you there. Nothing else counts. GO!!!!

2. Catagory Two: Catastrophy Survival. A total-support kit to handle any circumstance, no matter the nature. Worst-case senario. The solution to this problem is very simple - a 14-day kit to which only seasonal clothing, firearms, and ammunition need be added. Any backpacker on the face of the earth can tell you what the contents of this should be. This is what they do for fun and recreation. As one of the world's leading experts "Colin Fletcher" says: "If you are suitably equipped and do nothing stupid, there are no emergencies in the wild, only circumstances to be surmounted". Buy one of his books "The Complete Walker" and use the enclosed equipment list as a guide. Trim the list carefully, add to it very sparingly (remember, you have to carry "the great stone" and you aren't getting any younger). Plan on moving it 5-10 miles maximum if you are smart, but you should be able to cover 200 miles with the great stone on your back before you run out of food if necessary. Fill the pack, throw it in the closet, and air it out and inventory the thing to rotate dried food packages about every 3 months. Enough said. Problem solved. The logistics become more weight-efficient if two or more people are involved. One shelter for 2, 3, or 4 people. Some supplies are singular for one or more people. You get the idea.

3. Catagory Three: Car kit. You have to GET to the Spooker or Catastrophy kit if away from them. Boots - you can't go anywhere if your wheels are bad and what makes you think the damn car is going to take you there. Money - very useful. Extra Exposure Clothing. Boots don't do you much good if you freeze to death half-way to your kit or you have pneumonia when you get there. I frequently face a circumstance where I may have to walk the last 6-7 miles to my house in very adverse weather and I ALWAYS have boots and exposure clothing in my trunk. The soccer moms that goes out on a foray in a light sweater when it is 28 degrees outside with a windchill of 3 above 0 never ceases to amaze me. TWO flashlights - a primary like the U2 or something similar and a long-running backup like an L1-WH (my current preferences until my K2 Milspec comes). If you don't have a backup, you will be blind for 12 hours of the day when your primary goes down. Yes, what makes you think you will make your destination before dark? Are you preparing for "ASSUMED" circumstances or "ANY" circumstances. A good handgun and a couple of extra clips of ammunition should solve the rest of it. You could probably get far more elaborate when dealing with the storage capacity of a car trunk but what are you really trying to accomplish? I assume that we are going to abandon the car, and move very light and fast in a civilized environment where amenities are available. If not, carry your Catastrophy kit/backpack in the trunk. But if you do, you are now saddled with a 60# stone unless you are willing to walk away from a $5,000 kit!!??

You get the idea. I'm sure we could expand upon this skeletal treatment "ad nauseum", but at the risk of boring you, I will quit here.

Hope some of this helps to clarify the problem.

Last edited:

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast

My little cousin (not so little actually) is in Iraq, his mom and I talked with him one time, and the "clear up/bugout" thing got mentioned. He had some interesting thing's to interject.
Using Katrina and the Rodney King trial riots as two examples,(which started when I was repo'ing a car near hollenbeck, glad that car was a rabbit GTI)
He said pretty much most all ready offered here, but also that your Body is a perfect bugout bag. what you can carry on your person will make for more room for other thing's in the bag, and in case's of civil disobedence, knive's, gun's, pepper spray etc is on your person, not in a bag.(hey dude with the steel pipe hold on while I get my gun outta my BB and load it please? :ohgeez: )

On leave,he came home and using a vest from army/navy surplus, and a old time round small gym bag (remember those?) he made his mom a bugout setup that was ingenious, even had some small sorta instant open tent.! (I don't camp so it was new technology to me) I thought I would offer his wisdom. VDG

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast

A item to start with would be the TAD GEAR BUG OUT BOTTLE.
Here is a link: www.tadgear.com/x-treme gear/tad_gear_bug_out_bottle.htm

It will have enough to get you buy. I have also seen a cheaper version at Eddie Bauer for about $20.00, but the Tad Gear one will be the better items.
If anything, it will give you some basic ideas of what you need.
You can always pick up your own Nalgene bottle(32oz or 48oz) and pack your own.

Blades

billgr

Newly Enlightened

i have a daypack with almost everything i need...except clothing and water. for those i have rolling luggage

right now i have in it:

3 knives: FB and folder: Dozier and Spyderco. and a SAK
1st aid kit...+meds: advil tums immodium toothbrush sunscreen etc.
cash ($300)in 5's and 10's...2 flashlights...multiband radio...eating utensils
bandannas...hat...TP!!...bible + one novel....LOTS of batts...energy bars...facecloth
lanyards and paracord...garbage bags...poncho...blast match + bics +henley matches
roll of quarters...whistle...leather gloves...folding saw...very small wrecking bar.. safety glasses...monocular...pens paper...xtra watch...compass...iodine pills

on my belt: flashlight...cell phone...FB knife....multitool and a :)Ruger 45 Colt with Gold Dots.:)

Last edited:

dgish

Newly Enlightened

I think you'll find that there are as many opinions of what the 'essential' BOB items are as there are people. The problem is that everyone's situation will require different items, owing to differences in local terrain, weather patterns, time of year, your age and physical condition and that of anyone who will be in your party, etc, etc. That being said here are some links that will give you some food for thought.

http://outdoors-magazine.com/s_article.php?id_article=103

http://outdoors-magazine.com/s_article.php?id_article=205

http://www.donrearic.com/bob.htm

http://www.survivalbill.com/bob.htm

buba

Newly Enlightened

The RedCross is offering a 5% discount on their Deluxe Emergency Preparedness Kit if you use the code 'hurricane' during checkout. Appears to be a good starter backpack BOB or use their pack contents list as a starter for your own.

http://www.redcross.org/store

guntotin_fool

Newly Enlightened

just some ideas from MHPOV.

My family camps and hikes and canoes alot, We are used to moving ourselves and all we need to live on for a while on our backs. When we get back from camping, after out stuff is washed out and aired and dryed, The basics get repacked in the back packs right away. The water filters, (in minnesota, finding water in not hard, Clean water is tough and a filter system is amazing.) The cook stoves, the rain gear and tents, a basic selection of dry goods and long term food items all get packed again. We used to do a lot of our walking in old style heavy "hiking boots" and they are good if you have haul a heavy pack on crappy trails but on smooth portages and trails we find the superrunning shoes, or trail runners seem to keep our feet just as happy and we do like not walking in 3 plus pounds of boots. In the fall or winter, we have either Sorel's or similar always nearby, (it is minnesota here, you learn to keep them close)

We keep all this stuff in hockey bags. Each of us have one. If we can load it all in the truck, then we can grab the bag and go. if we have to walk, then all we need for 48 hours is ready to go. We are not likely here to see a hurricane. but living a half mile downwind from a mainline RR line, the threat of a chem spill or a similar is not too distant. Tornadoes here do not let you get away from the path, but If we are in the basement and the house goes we have enough to keep ourselves ok till things open up after. Other SHTF or EOTWAWKI scenarios can be addressed by others.

One other item I have is a grab coat. I bought a Cabela's upland jacket a few years ago when it was possible to get them without the blaze orange, just the flax or sand tan color. Mine hangs in my bedroom closet loaded for the other kind of BOB scenario. MIne has pockets galore. It is fully loaded like a tactical vest. mags for the M4, binocs, a water bladder added to the back. a holster and 1911 reside inside, a couple extra mags for it. a couple of lights, a fighting knife rides in the "buzzer" pocket meant for a tri tronics controler. Some other items, like basic pressure bandages, a couple bic lighters, a couple packs of poptarts and candy. I can wear that and be almost invisible as if I were just wearing a carhartt jacket here. dark enough to be non issue at night, heavy enough to keep wind off me and yet light enough for all but the Hottest days. Usually when it get to be below 50 degrees average daily temp I have a fleece liner that just snaps in. I then throw a watch cap and a pair of CC ski gloves in the pockets. If I start hearing noise at night, and i need to go take a look, slipping this one gives me what I might need all at once. My coat weighs about 17-19 pounds, a lot true, but for what it provides, it is wonderfully efficient

While what I have works for me, you based on your locations and situations may feel the need to work in another direction. A good friend of mine who works in Manhattan, has a older London fog rain coat hanging in his office closet. He has a smaller version of my grab coats contents stored in his, no guns or ammo, but knife, flashlights, pepper spray. food, water, $$ and subway tokens, all hanging in his office, ready to go at the first sign of trouble. Right next to it is a back pack, more like a book bag/dayback that has a seasonal change of clothes and shoes, and more food and drink, all set up too.

Think ahead, what are the risks most likely to strike you. Plan your way to bridge as many needs as you can. Get a really basic meds kit. Just having some Ibuprofen, anti histamine, maybe some higer level pain meds, and cough control with you can make a world of difference in your comfort level If you get displaced for a couple days. Sun block too... My Doc gave me some samples of antibiotic, cough suppresant, narcotic pain meds and burn/infection cream for my camping trips. He gave me a simple set of yes no guidelines to their use.

Two summers ago while we were canoeing one of my buddies slipped when stepping onto a rock from the canoe and snapped his ankle. This was 3 hard days of paddling away from any help. Having a few Vicodin and Tylenol 3's with meant that although he was a unhappy camper, making the trip back to the entry point was possible without driving him insane from pain. Imagine if this had been a bug out situation. Having a little bit of medical power at our disposal meant he was even able to catch a few fish while we were paddling out. It also meant that when we got to a Hospital, the ER doc who saw him said that had he been fighting pain for three days while we got him in, he might have gone in to shock and perhaps suffered serious medical difficulties instead of "just" 4 pins and 5 screws.

If you live in south florida or sad diego, then cold weather protection is not critical. in the Southwest, you have to supply your own water. Here water is always available, but clean water is why I carry a Katadyhn water filter in each persons bag. Here for half the year, spending the night outside unprotected from teh elements can be a death sentence if you do not know what to do. For three or four months, even if you know what to do and are not prepared, it will be a death sentence. At home, do you have more than one way to cook food? A propane grill can be a life saver if you have no natural gas and and/or electricity. Going beyond, do you know how to set a snare or trap? Do you know how to clean game for eating? Do you know how to make a fire that makes no smoke?? Ever pay attention to what could be non standard routes of evacuation? Can you set up a shelter that will keep u alive using just what you can find in your neighbors garage?

Go camping a few times, see what works, what does not. If you are married, one night just walk in the house and announce you have 3 minutes to grab all you will need for the weekend. starting NOW. (Do this, but in your pockets have a reservation to a B&B or something as a reward.) My wife got very angry with me the first time I did this, even though she got to spend the weekend at a nice hotel after she got to repack. Now she understands things a bit better, and is constantly surprised that more of her friends do not see the value in what we do .

I must say, that in our BOB is a small CD folder, on it are all of the family Financial, tax, insurance, etc Data on CD as well as a couple of data CD's with pics of all our furnishings, wedding pics, kids pics etc. so that if we had to leave our house for reasons of local fires, chemical spills, storms, and our home was destroyed. at least we would have a place to start rebuilding from. A recent addition to our list, is a non local relatives phone number. After Katrina we saw the difficulty some families had in reconnecting with lost family members. By having two out of state phone numbers written into our back packs, If we got sent to different evacuation sites, as soon as phone service was restored, we would have a common relative to be calling. Also on a grimmer note, it would provide authorities with a contact number to ID remains.

I hope that instead of a simple list of 1 of these, and two of those, this helps you in creating a llist that will work for you .

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast

I keep a memory stick with alot of info of all types in my BOB. Small handy, plug into anyone's computer and 2 gigs of files are accessable.

MacTech

Enlightened
Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Earth, USA, New England
Help me adjust the contents of my BOB

I've toyed with the idea of creating a BOB off and on over the past couple years, but never really got around to it

last week, i found my old Ogio laptop backpack bag, and was impressed with it's prodigious amount of storage, so I figured it's time to finally create a BOB

the problem is, most of my efforts in the past consisted of "toss my surplus stuff in the bag", so it tended to be rather flashlight and knife-heavy
I've managed to restrain myself somewhat from that tendency, but I'm still overstocked with knives and lights

here's how it's set up;

Laptop pocket;
Rain protective gear (jacket and pants in their original packaging)

bottom pocket;
fully stocked triage kit, high-pressure butane lighter, Pocket Survival Kit, magnesium firestarter, Fresnel Lens, neosporin, and digital thermometer

long left side pocket;
Ka-Bar USMC PE knife
Mag 2C w/ MJLED PR and spare MNS incan in the tailcap

shallow top "iPod" pocket;
Photon II hanging from zipper pull
EternaLight ErgoMarine with fresh L91 Lithiums
Inova X1 with Duracell

short upper right pocket;
Grundig AM/FM/SW pocket radio (2 AA Duracells)

wide lower right pocket;
unoccupied, may use it for spare battery storage

Cell phone holder on left shoulderstrap
SureFire 6P W/ Lighthound Cree drop-in, fresh SF123a's
Sabre Pepper Spray kubaton

front pocket over main compartment, this has lots of sub-pockets and pouches (this one's crowded);
Green Photon Freedom Max hanging from zipper pull
Peak Kilimanjaro 1LED standard power hanging from cargo clip, fresh L91 inside
Fenix L2T 3-stage with L91 in back pouch
Victorinox One Handed Trekker, Spyderco Salt and Pacific Salt in middle pouch
Inova X5, Fenix P1, and TekTite Trek Lithium in left tool pocket
Compass (brass body lensatic), Gerber Meridian headlamp, 4-in-one screwdriver, and needlenose pliers in front pocket

Main bag compartment
100' of nylon rope (coiled)
CamelBak 3L bladder (collapsed)
Crock-Stick knife sharpener
i plan to use this compartment for food/water/tarps/other stuff

I know i'm too flashlight-and-knife heavy, things I know i need to address are;
spare batteries
water storage (i'm thinking a couple more bladder-type bags)
water purification (one of those pump thingies, perhaps)
food
protection from the elements

suggestions on what to add/remove/redistribute?

Last edited:

thesurefire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Help me adjust the contents of my BOB

Drop: digital thermometer, Mag 2C w/ MJLED PR and spare MNS incan in the tailcap, Sabre Pepper Spray kubaton, Peak Kilimanjaro 1LED standard power hanging from cargo clip, fresh L91 inside, Fenix L2T 3-stage with L91 in back pouch, Inova X5, Fenix P1, and TekTite Trek Lithium in left tool pocket, 100' of nylon rope (coiled), EternaLight ErgoMarine with fresh L91 Lithiums

Add: A good multi tool, a ultralight tarp (at least a few trash bags) 3 bic lighters, a pair of gloves, some beef jerky, a water purifier, 100+ feet of paracord, some tent stakes, a water bottle, Sunscreen, bug spray.

As far as lights and knifes:
In my BOB I have a surefire 6P with dropin LED with 4 extra 123 cells, and 3 dorcy AAAs, with 8 spare AAA cells. I also have a radio tat runs on 2AAAs. Yes, It weights a bit, but I have about 8 hours of very intense light, and 40 hours of very usealbe light with that setup, and its pretty light.

For knifes, I recommend 1 strong, stout fixed blade, (plain edge), 1 folder (plain edge), a multitool (leatherman/gerber piliers based), and 2 of the mini Swiss army knifes with blade, scissors and screw drivers.

The main point of a BOB is to have the most needed things at a time of need. Primarily water, food, and tools. Next, shelter, warmth, fire, ect.

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
Re: Help me adjust the contents of my BOB

I wouldn't pack sunscreen, as it looses approximately 50% of it's effectiveness per year (1 year half life). Instead, pack sun/hot weather appropriate clothing if you live in an area which requires it. Something like a boonie hat and long sleeve shirt, or lightweight fabric (not plastic) rain poncho. I say a rain poncho because it serves triple duty in this role, as sun, rain, and shelter if rigged over a frame.