Whats next from the McGizmo workshop?

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
The 27L is a reflector.

There are two McLights to my knowledge that have the 27L reflector in them, the 27LT that Don has for sale, and the Titanium McLuxIII-PD with a head shaped like the 27LT flashlight - which arewethereyetdad has two of... wouldn't you love to know where he lives.

Don talked above about a 27LT with a Piston Drive, which also obviously would have a 27L reflector... there's also the talk of the aluminum version of arewethereyetdad's Ti 27L PD's.

Other than that, I don't think the 27L reflector is used in anything else.

john

McGizmo

Flashaholic
The Ti 27L PD was designed, quoted and ordered a long time ago. :mad:

This is a project let to a friend of a friend who has done some machine work for me in the past. My friend started this ball rolling before I knew there was a game. This project concerned me a bit but I took the helm and have been lost at sea with no rudder control since! :green: There is communication on ocassion and as the days and months have passed, the original design has evolved. The light is no longer a 27L PD in design. To simplfy machine time and tool breakage (cause for delays so far), I reduced the number of back end components from 2 (piston and sleeve) to 1 part; a battery pack with McClickie. This project has been on par with getting kids to clean their room or perhaps herding a group of cats. There is cause now for additional design change considerations but as the days, weeks and months continue to pass, who knows what if anything will result. :shrug:

In the mean time, there is another Ti project in the works but it has also been subject to numerous delays but to an extent, these have been anticipated and allowed. This light has not been previewed or guessed at. It will be previewed when the time is right.

I stated above that there would be no further comments and I really have no interest or desire to discuss the vapor. However, I keep reading comments like 27L PD and I want to clarify that such a light is not presently in the works.

In regards to the more affordable (relative term here :eek: ) Al lights, I am still building and shipping both PD's and 27LT's. I am also considering a new complete Al light for this fall but it is too early to know. Some of you want something yet to be offered, some of you want something that is no longer available and then there are a few of you who want something I can actually provide! Certainly there are times it seems that this last group is the minority! :nana:

Dogliness

Enlightened
Something yet to be offered--I will take two.
Something that is no longer available--I will take two as well.
Something you can actually provide--I will take zero.

pcmike

Enlightened
What is it that people are wanting that you can provide? Can someone make a list of everything that is currently being wanted of Don and put a notation next to each one about whether or not Don has talked about it in the past. You're killing me Don! :ohgeez: :grin2:

McGizmo

Flashaholic
PC Mike,

As to what is currently available, I have a sticky thread that has been title changed to: McGizmo: Available Lights: Pricing and Ordering info

Unfortunately, for some reason, the old thread title: McGizmo: Custom Build Pricing and Ordering is what shows in the forum list. :shrug:

At any rate, this thread describes what is currently available from me. Some of my designs and parts are also available from the Shoppe. Given the nature of limited production and non-continuation of programs, it would be too difficult for me to try to keep a current list of Shoppe offerings.

The Aleph system is not being maintained with re-orders of components and renewal of inventories. This is not to say that there won't be additional "E" series components offered or brought out. At present, there are the McClickie switch module as well as a guarded McClickie tail cap which are compatabile with the Aleph system as well as E-series. The Ti Bezel ring which fits the Aleph 19, Aleph 2 and the PD is a current part as well. The Aleph system as well as the HD45 program has been taken over completely by the Shoppe. Any new additions or re runs of existing components (like the LE components) will be handled and annonced by the shoppe.

LightHound also handles the McClickie tailcap switches at present and may have some Aleph components left.

McR reflectors are available from the shoppe for the modder and DIY'er. In qty, they are available from me to the OEM and builders. I have designed variations of them for OEM customers and in some cases, put these OEM customers in direct contact with my vendor.

If and when the Ti lights become a reality, I would like to offer them not necessarily as a one time blast but perhaps as an on going addition to the PD and 27LTs currently being offered. Actually the Slate PDs and 27LTs are getting down in qty and will become history at some point. I doubt that I will be re ordering these components and continue with the same lights in an additional run. JSB voiced desire and intent of taking the PD to a higher level of actual production and support and I made decisions and plans with this in mind.

The LED technology is in such a rapid state of flux and the market maturing so quickly that the niches need to be moved and find new clear territory often to be viable! The future for CPF may well be in the hands of Fenix and others in similar positions. I detect and understand resentment that some of my new ideas and designs are expressed in Ti and not at an affordable or reasonable price level. Guys, there is no way someone like me can compete with a company like Fenix!! If you want reasonable and affordable, don't look to a one man shop with limited resources and output!! I can build, handle and ship X number of flashlights. The X is the same if the light sells for $39.95 or $399.50. With economies of scale and profit margins what they are, I hope any of you with a sound business sense can understand why I will opt fot the $399.50 light if possible!! Even the high end niches may be targeted by companies like Fenix and if they are, I will simply have to move on. :) None of this is rocket science and more and more people are seeing opportunities to get into. Once ideas, solutions and demands or interests are recognized and understood, there are rather clear paths of commerce to follow. Where trails are blazed, others will trod. :shrug:

At present, I do have some interesting prototypes in hand and use that some of you will find interesting. I have tried to exploit the down side of some vapor that has been gas way too long by revising designs and bringing them to perhaps a new generation, while still in incubation. The new CPF is such that I am keeping these designs and ideas to myself in hope that the niche I have targeted will remain open to me for a while longer if I can keep its location and nature unknown to certain others until I am ready to harvest. This is selfish and self motivated and I won't pretend otherwise. The flashaholic in me finds this distasteful but my mortgage and living expenses dictate my course. The consumers of CPF can and will find benefit from competition among the suppliers but this will be at some expense in terms of reduced free flow of information and news.

You guys will see some of my ideas and efforts in the products of others but it won't be identified as such. In some cases I will have enjoyed compensation in royalty or design fee paid. In others, not. :)

What's next? Well something hopefully!! :green: In my new workshop, I have been busy with LED lighting ideas for my new home and fixed lighting solutions to bring to market. Much of my interest and focus is beyond portable LED solutions but if the past is any indicator, discussion and sharing of these ideas on CPF would be met with little interest. I would like to think this might change as more see the light but perhaps time will tell?

Kiessling

Moderator,
You are not the only one. There is change with CPF, some good, some bad. This is bad.

The new CPF is such that I am keeping these designs and ideas to myself in hope that the niche I have targeted will remain open to me for a while longer if I can keep its location and nature unknown to certain others until I am ready to harvest. This is selfish and self motivated and I won't pretend otherwise. The flashaholic in me finds this distasteful but my mortgage and living expenses dictate my course.

As to what is currently available, I have a sticky thread that has been title changed to: McGizmo: Available Lights: Pricing and Ordering info

Unfortunately, for some reason, the old thread title: McGizmo: Custom Build Pricing and Ordering is what shows in the forum list.

Will change it, Master :nana: ... no need to make your hands dirty with this stuff ... :D :D

bernie

Stillphoto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Finally,

I've been waiting (and I know you've been working on this for a while) for people to really start using led's (cree/luxeons) for home lighting.

Slightly Off topic but...
Now the direction I want to see led lights going is the movie industry. The guys over at www.litepanels.com have such the niche market right now, and they're killing in it! But supposedly they've done "serious scientific research" on their leds lol...and that theyre all color matched (something like 100 5mm's in identical consistant color?)....great light though.

I want to see luxeon based lights replacing things like this:

http://extranet.mole.com/public/index.cgi?cmd=view_item&parent=1899-1900-1904-1908&id=12124

I think a good cluster of lights with the right kind of lens focusing them would do the trick...people would pay anything for a light that would take minimal time to heat-up to the operating brightness/color temp.

I guess the litepanels people made the big "light bar" in the island...as explained on their site..and that used luxeons...so at least ssomeone is getting it.

Anglepoise

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF must have been a great place a few years ago if you were into modding and building. I quite understand why a few of the 'old timers' are keeping under the radar.
It will be sad if the forum just becomes an online sales outlet.

BrightIdeaOSU

Newly Enlightened
I would rather have a communal market rather than merely a community or a market. The market aspect gives people a chance to capitalize upon their ideas, which can only encourage invention.

What I think is really needed is more cooperation and a consistent credit-where-it's due mentality. But that is less a problem here than in general society, at least so far.

Just my 2 cents.

--Aaron

Fringe

Enlightened
Don,

The outdoor lighting ideas are really spectacular. I would love to have this type of lighting up at my lake house and home. And the whole setup with a battery that is always charged, brilliant, when the power fails, you still are seeing. How long will your setup run on a full charge with power off?

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Fringe,
It's all a question of battery size. I now have a big AGC battery in one system that handles most of the "needed" lights and with the ability to shut off circuits independantly and dim others, I would guess I could go a couple weeks with no problem. Here on Maui, with some nice PV panels, I could take the system off the grid completely if I wanted to. I am planning on replacing all of the incandescent lamps in the house with LED as time permits. Heck, I already have the parts! :D The T8 fluorescent lights in the garage will stay though.