Whats so good about a Gatlight?

sledhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF Supporter
Excellent "words of Wisdom" Carrot! Well spoken as usual.

Brian321: I received a Gatlight Titanium several weeks back. I have to say I did not think I'd be keeping it long. I was wrong! This light has impressed me more and more as I began to use it!

It is a piece of flashlight "ART" but it is also an engineering marvel. Read the specs on the website carefully- lots of little things that add up to a beautiful package. Workmanship is astonishing.Titanium and Carbon Fiber, what a match!

Functionality is great also. Variable from low to high or high to low- auto dim feature was a great surprise, use it all the time- the new lense eliminates the need for a diffusor, either tailstanding or buisness end down- of course momentary on.

Even the display case was carefully laid out. If that light is there when someone comes in they always ask " what the heck is that" Lots of people think I'm "nuts" when it comes to flashlights but, everyone has appreciated this one. Either for it's looks, technical aspect or "Wow factor.

And "Yes" I'm using mine everyday albeit carefully! Resale value you know!

Follow Carrots advice- life is short. :thumbsup: Now, where is my MOAB?....

Last edited:

stallion2

Enlightened
uh...each one is made of like....8000 parts, hand assembled by a team of astronauts and ninjas...AND its named after a gun that has six barrels, its own mobile platform and is so badass that it has to be cranked!!!:devil:

yeah, i want one

pfccypret

Newly Enlightened
If I owned one, I probably wouldn't use it. I love flashlights as a hobby and I have several that I use and abuse daily and many more that get used occasionally (sometimes you have to swap out your carry light so the others don't get jealous).

That being said, I am also a collector. I like being lights that are in the orginal case or are used very very rarely. I enjoy my hobby that way also.

If I ever have an extra $500 and I'm "meh" on everything else on the market, I'll probably order one. But I don't see myself saving up just for a gatlight.

I am glad they made a flashlight that is art and extremely functional. Heck maybe if I have an extra $1000, I'll get a display one and an abuse one.

joshth09

Newly Enlightened
Its obvious what is so good about a gatlight. Quality, beauty, and function. Whats not so obvious is if it is worth it to YOU to purchase and use/admire one.

I get my kicks on high function tough edc lights, and getting the best bang for my buck. Its different for everyone, no one is wrong or right. So for me I wouldnt consider buying one...but I understand why other people do.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Because it's sexy and it is THE definition of over-engineered :D

That's about it really.

They are fantastic lights and would really appeal to the same type of person who loves fine mechanical watches. I owned one for a while and it was enjoyable to take out of the safe and show to other friends who had an eye for precision and who appreciated this type of thing. With that said, I personally never EDC'd it because I own other lights that fulfill that role better.

kengps

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm an enthusiast of fine Swiss watches and would like to have a Gatlight IF it is indeed a precision advanced light. Not into "all show, no go". A fine Swiss watch is more than for show. They are in fact exquisite mechanical pieces. The Gatlight if the same...would not be an EDC but something you slip in your pocket when the Watch goes on also. I don't wear my Swiss watches everyday. But you gotta have at least one for those special occasions. Sorry if anyone takes offense...but by "fine Swiss watches" I don't mean watches that say "Swiss" on them and have an "ETA" made movement inside. Probably over 50 brands of "Swiss" watches meet that criteria. I mean the real "Manufacturers" who hand build 'em.

Patriot

Flashaholic
The Gatlight if the same...would not be an EDC but something you slip in your pocket when the Watch goes on also. I don't wear my Swiss watches everyday. But you gotta have at least one for those special occasions.

Perhaps in a small leather pouch, since it's really quite bulky in the pocket. :)

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Its obvious what is so good about a gatlight. Quality, beauty, and function. Whats not so obvious is if it is worth it to YOU to purchase and use/admire one.

I get my kicks on high function tough edc lights, and getting the best bang for my buck. Its different for everyone, no one is wrong or right. So for me I wouldnt consider buying one...but I understand why other people do.

Well said. As a work of art I'd appreciate the Gatlight far more than an equally priced painting or sculpture, but I wouldn't be considering them either. It's just not that important to me.

Geoff

IMSabbel

Enlightened
Well, its the total incarnation of form over function.

They succeded in adding the most complication and bulk to a light without any positive impact on function. The light could have half the volume and better stability if it were not "gatling".

And its SOOOO ugly. I mean, seriously. I could understand people paying lots of money for a Titan, or for a Spy007, or anything on photonfanatics page, because they are fine looking pieces of equipment.

The gatlight, on the other hand, looks like something that could hand on the bling belt of a gangsda rapper. If somebody gave one to me for freee I wouldnt want to be seen with it in public.

baterija

Flashlight Enthusiast
From the Lumecraft site.

It features cutting edge technology in a classic design that leaves everyone puzzled.

I'm not sure the thrust of the marketing campaign was puzzlement over why they trapped that light in the cage. Aside from the really nice UI (which is functional) I am with IMSabbel.

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm one that "gets it" personally, unfortunately not one who can afford to get it. Yes, this light to me is VERY aesthetically pleasing. I would recommend the same as most people here have: Enjoy it! Don't buy it for a piece of art in the corner, buy it to use because it can handle it.

I got a chance to have fun for a while with a Gatlight and I loved it. I found a couple of minor forgivable areas of improvement, but overall enjoyed every moment of my time with it.

My take on it.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Nice review, Dave. And what a great site. Don't know how I've missed it, but it's bookmarked now. Thanks.

Geoff