Wurkkos

What's the Best Can Opener?

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Re: What\'s the Best Can Opener?

capnal...reference the Rosle...EXACTLY what I've been looking for!! Love the build, operation, and lifetime warranty! I prefer the openers that open the side of the lid and don't get all "goobered up" with food & biological growth experiments!

This is a well built tool! I too held off, but after reading your post, just jumped in the fire and went to Amazon.com and paid $30 for it with free shipping! Thanks for posting that!!

sotyakr

As my 25+ year old cheapie "bonny" can opener was looking like an artifact from an archeological dig, I figured it was time to be taken out of service, for health reasons if nothing else. Amazon.com is selling the Swingaway for $6 and I was all ready to order one, but really didn't need much of anything else from them to hit the $25 free shipping mark. As it turned out, my local supermarket had a very similar opener by Farberware on sale for $5. Although lacking in CPF-cred, and has never travelled in space, it has the same type of double geared cutting and rotating wheels and seems to be of sturdy construction. Will the Farberware become some sort of heirloom? Who knows. But, for the here and now it opens cans, works well and that's all I can ask of it.

J_Oei

Just bought a Rosle off of eBay for under under $23 shipped(!)

It will replace my old Swingaway, some Made-in-China side
cutter, and some old military version. At one point, I had even purchased a left-handed model, because they were custom built and supposed to me more rugged. (Sounds like I need to look for a Canopener board somewhere...)

I'll let you all know my impressions after the Rosle arrives.

BruiseLee

I Think I\'ve Found the Best Manual Can Opener!

I actually saw the Zyliss at a store last night and bought it. Let me tell you, this is one brilliantly executed can opener! First of all, it opened all the cans I tried it on flawlessly!
zy20779.jpg

Just like the literature says, unlike the Swing-Away when you open a can, it doesn't leave you with any sharp edges on either the can or the lid. Also, the blade never touches the food, which is a huge plus. Much more sanitary, and one less thing to clean. It even has two small metal tweezer/plier things to lift the can lid off the can - works great!

I got mine for $14.99 - worth every penny. 5 year guarantee.

Only bad part is if you are old and/or have less than average hand strength, this opener probably isn't for you. I think my mom, who can't even fire my Makarov double action, would have trouble using this.

Oh, even though the Zyliss is advertised as Swiss, if you read the fine print it's actually made in China. I have to say, mine appears very well made and should provide me with many years of service.

I have to say I love my Swing-Aways, but the Zyliss seems to have them beat.

Bruise

FrancescaJessop

In Restaurantware Store Commercial Can Opener you can easily to use. Its works very good with any issue. This Can Opener have heavy duty and dependable. Perfect for all fast-paced commercial kitchens. This can opener is perfect for most cans of all sizes at 11 inches.