What's the best single cell 26650 flashlight?

LessDark

Enlightened
Hey there, I'm keen on getting my first 26650 flashlight now that these batteries have gotten significantly better lately.
So I'm wondering what you guys think is one of the best flashlights out there today? I don't really care if it's floody or throwy, so I'm thankful for all the suggestions I can get.
Any thoughts?
Thanks =)

SubLGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
There don't seem to be a large number of high quality 26650 powered flashlights on the market. But the 4Sevens Maelstrom MMU-X3 is certainly worth a look. And the Luma Power Strive v2.0 is interesting.

Last edited:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Vinh's versions of the above 47 lights would be, to me the "best".

Best can mean different things to different people though.

For example, Vinh's versions can EITHER have more LUMENS OR more THROW than about any other single 26650 light...but, because they are like a muscle car running floored on max output, they don't run as LONG as a dimmer light, so you'd change the cells for fresh ones more frequently if using them on max output.

LessDark

Enlightened
Alright thanks, I'll take a look at those. I think a ideal light for me would be a Mgt2 on a single 26650 if that is possible

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Alright thanks, I'll take a look at those. I think a ideal light for me would be a Mgt2 on a single 26650 if that is possible

Not easily, not enough voltage. Most MTG2 use two cells because of that.

ven

Flashaholic
Dont know best as subjective,but i will say the x3 is up there,the x3vn more so:)

Far right for size

Kinoko for 9.6A

imo its a perfect sized light,not too big or small,nice girth :laughing: ...........just feels great in the hand(yes still on flashlight)

:)

LessDark

Enlightened
Oh that X3 looks nice, but can I use a protected 26650 in it? I don't really feel comfortable with IMR's

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh that X3 looks nice, but can I use a protected 26650 in it? I don't really feel comfortable with IMR's

The light has a low voltage cut-off, so your worries are unfounded. But yes, protected cells will work fine. It has a rather large spring, and can accommodate just about any 26650 you want to use.

Bruno28

Enlightened
I have an Olight R40 seeker, its a nice light that uses the 26650.
Its a mixture of throw and flood. And for the price it also included the battery and a chafer as its in built charger capable.

Last edited:

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
... that is the 26650 HOST You can mount YOUR individualized led insert in
(and change/update, if necessary, some time later ... again and again and again)

Mmassey338

Newly Enlightened
Its a mixture of throw and flood. And for the price it also included the battery and a chafer as its in built charger capable.
With a "chafer" you probably shouldn't carry it in your pocket. ;)

Mmassey338

Newly Enlightened
I figured that's what happened, and it's sometimes humorous what auto correct chooses to do. A chafer would either rub you raw or set you on fire.

Mmassey338

Newly Enlightened
Take a look at the Z1vn, it's crazy bright and adjusts from flood to throw.

rngr633

Newly Enlightened
My favorite in an Elektrolumens Big Bruiser. 3 Cree XM-L2's, each fed 3 amps, for a total 9+ amp draw. Huge heat sink. Only 1 setting- REALLY high. Both Floody + Throw due to the insane output. Around 3000 lumens at the emitters, a little less OTF.

FiveMega's Coolys are a great starting point for your own project( http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?326040-COOLY-26650-D26-(P60)-Host-By-FiveMega ) I'm running one of Nailbenders Luminus SST-90 drop ins.

BTW, the newer KeepPower 26650 cells are getting good reviews.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Speaking of the MMU-X3, another often forgotten option would be the MMU-X. It has the same body as the more popular MMU-X3. But it is a single XM-L2 thrower rather than a triple. This would be an option if you want something throwier. Plus, although initial output is not nearly as high as the MMU-X3, it doesn't have a stepdown like the MMU-X3. And after the MMU-X3 steps down, the MMU-X actually has a higher output (probably around 800-900 lumens, which it can maintain for well over two hours with one of the Keeppower 5200 cells).

Last edited:

Polargirl

Newly Enlightened

I'll second the R40 since my husband uses that light for his work as an 18 wheeler truck driver but that light doesn't mix throw and flood well. It's heavily scewed towards throw over flood.

Ray-o-light

Newly Enlightened
My favorite 26650 light is the Maxtoch M12. This light is a thrower. At around 100Kcd it is the best throwing single cell stock light there is. The fit and finish are excellent. It's a sexy looking light (IMHO), with a good balance when held. It also takes protected batts as well as the new 26700 battery.

Calm11

Newly Enlightened
Hard to say the best, depend on preference. Other than that already referred, some 26650 flashlights to consider, DQG tiny, XinTD X3, Shadow SL3, Lumintop SD10 (accept multiple type of batteries).