What's the better 7" option?

JTMcC

Newly Enlightened
My goal is to add sturdy/innexpensive additional lighting to a work truck that's used at night quite a bit, both on and off highway. I'm using Grote 7" buckets and new wiring/relays. The two options I'm considering are: 1) Bosch 7" H-4 (and if so, what bulb, I can't believe the number of options out there and have no experience) or 2) GE Nighthawk sealed beams I understand the Cibie option is better, but really need input on those right now. Thanks, JT

JTMcC

Newly Enlightened
And, since I can mount these wherever I want I'll ask what is considered the most efficient mounting height for such a light? JT

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
For aux use like this, I'd go with the cheap Bosch H4 motorcycle units and 70/65w Osram H4 bulbs. Relays, yes, and wire them up with at least 14ga wire (12 is better). Mount the lamps as close as possible to the main headlamps' height, and aim them carefully and properly on low beam per "VOL" specs as described here.

As for the GE Night Hawk sealed beams: The 200mm x 142mm large rectangulars, with 65/55w burners, are certainly a respectable, decent headlamp. But not the 7" rounds any more. When they first came out, even the 7" rounds carried a 65/55w rating and the ammeter on my test bench bore that out. But some time after introduction they changed the listing to "65/35w", and the last time I checked, a few months ago, yep, 35w low beam and a very weak one at that, so much so that I can't recommend it any more than I can recommend any other generally-available 7" round sealed beam. :-( UPDATE May 2020: The Night Hawks are no longer worth buying; they are useless garbage now, just like all other sealed beams on the market; see here )

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Yes, he'd like the Cibies a whole lot better, because they are a whole lot better. But it looks to me like he's decided (for one reason or another) he won't be getting those.

JTMcC

Newly Enlightened
I understand the Cibie is the best bet in 7". I intend to put one on my motorcycle that has a Bosch now.

But I'm looking at several options on the truck, I may use Cibies. I may use four 5 3/4" instead of two 7", I already have 3 5 3/4" buckets. My understanding is that for low beams the Hella Bifocus and for high beams the Cibie are probably the best bet.
Any take on weather the two Cibie 7" vs four 5 3/4" (mentioned above) give the better coverage? The price vs benefit factors in for me, considering more relays/wiring/switches are used in the four smaller light system.
Being self employed in the construction world amidst the great recession means we spend considerable time fighting for our money so the budget factor is present, plus, Santa Claus is very active this time of year ; )

So, no decision yet, just weighting options.

I appreciate all comments so far.

JT

Last edited:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
I may use four 5 3/4" instead of two 7", I already have 3 5 3/4" buckets. My understanding is that for low beams the Hella Bifocus and for high beams the Cibie are probably the best bet.

That's definitely right; that would be the hot setup (by a very big margin) over any other current-production halogen setup I can think of.

Any take on weather the two Cibie 7" vs four 5 3/4" (mentioned above) give the better coverage?

If you're using Hella Bifocus low beams and Cibie high beams, then the advantage goes to the 5 3/4" setup. If you're comparing 5 3/4" H4s to 7" H4s, then the 7" units win.

JTMcC

Newly Enlightened
Ok, I'm leaning toward upgrading the low beams with 5 3/4" Hella Bifocus.

For aux. hi beams how do these three compare: 5 3/4" Cibie, Rallye 4000, Compact 100?

JT

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Rallye 4000 > 5 3/4" Cibie > Bosch Compact 100. The Cibie 5 3/4" H1 high beam is really terrific and is very tough to beat on a bang-for-buck basis.

JTMcC

Newly Enlightened
Got it.

The Rallye 4000 vs Cibie seems about equal in price to me if you have to buy buckets for the Cibies. Probably less expensive for me since I have some buckets on hand.

I've seen 4000 driving light kits (two lights + harness) for under 200 bucks, they are the compacts though.

JT

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Pay careful attention when buying Hella; they've begun "twinning" some products in their line: similar or same model name or number ("4000", "Comet", etc.) but the expensive good ones are made in Germany and the cheap mediocre ones are made in Taiwan. Certainly there are (much) nastier lamps than Taiwanese-made Hella items, but you still don't get what you don't pay for.

Hilldweller

Enlightened
I finally got to test the Hella 90mm bi-xenon kit and holy hanna it was good.
Winner by knockout in the 7" round weight class.

90MMHIDampJWSTS3000R008_zps24c0743b.jpg

SR.GRINGO

Enlightened
Nice 60 Hilldweller. :clap:

Can you post up some beam shots of the Hella 90mm? As in what you are seeing from the driver's seat.