What's the brightest single-cell incan?

FlashInThePan

Enlightened
The topic pretty much says it all: I'm looking for the brightest single-cell incan with a run time of at least 20 minutes. Size should be around the size of a Surefire e1e (which probably requires CR123s, AAs, etc.)

While I love the single-cell size of my McLux III PD and HDS U60, they're still LEDs - and I just love my incans even more. So I'm looking for a single-cell incan to EDC. As my signature says, runtime be damned - I want small and bright.

What's interesting is that if I was looking for a 2-cell incan, there'd be a million choices - Brinkman Maxfire, Surefire 6P, Surefire e2e, etc. But 1-cell incans seem to be less common. And I want small.

So I'm enlisting CPF's help. The Surefire e1e is an obvious first choice, if only because Surefire's so dominant in this arena and so well known. The e1e's 15 lumens is nice, but there has to be something better out there. I've seen the PentagonLight X1 listed, but I don't know anything else about it. It says 40 lumens, but hey - we all know about marketing hype. (And unfotunately, it's not yet reviewed on FlashlightReviews.com.)

The choice doesn't have to be a stock light; hotwires would be fine too! For example, I have a cut-down mini-mag that hosts a strion bulb and runs on one 14500. It's definitely bright. Can I do better?

So there you go, CPF. What insanely bright single-cell incans are out there?

- FITP

P.S. I searched CPF for similar threads before posting this topic, but didn't find any. If it's been discussed before, feel free to point me in the right direction!

Last edited:

RAF_Groundcrew

Enlightened
A Thor only has one battery, does that count? I think the only single cell incan I have owned is the SF E1e, and it's a very nice light, but a little disappointing when runtime is comsidered (compared with the L1, which runs for 4/90 hours, depending on the output selected).

FlashInThePan

Enlightened
RAF_Groundcrew said:
A Thor only has one battery, does that count? I think the only single cell incan I have owned is the SF E1e, and it's a very nice light, but a little disappointing when runtime is comsidered (compared with the L1, which runs for 4/90 hours, depending on the output selected).

Good point. By "single cell," I'm thinking of lights built around CR123s, AAs, etc. - something in a fairly compact size that allows the light to be approximately the size of a Surefire e1e.

Original post updated accordingly.

Last edited:

RAF_Groundcrew

Enlightened
Why specifically Incan though? The better, new generation LEDs work exceptionally well in single cell lights, both CR123, and CR2.

If it must be incan, then the E1e is a fine, small light, just that the beam goes yellow and dies too quickly for everyday use.

Last edited:

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you've already mentioned it--a cutdown Minimag hotwire w/Strion bulb. A stock Strion is a single cell, too, so I guess that'd qualify, too, right?

beakman

Newly Enlightened
FlashInThePan said:
The choice doesn't have to be a stock light; hotwires would be fine too! For example, I have a cut-down mini-mag that hosts a strion bulb and runs on one 14500. It's definitely bright. Can I do better?

I have one of these, too, and it's going to be hard to beat; probably impossible with a stock light. According to flashlightreviews.com, the stock Strion puts out about the same amount of light as most 2xCR123 xenon lights; way more than a stock E1e; and the MiniMiniMag with 14500 li-ion should be pretty close to the stock Strion's brightness. You could try and get a hold of one of fivemega's E2e rechargeable sockets, and run it with a Strion bulb in an E1e with a RCR123 li-ion, which would be a little shorter than the MiniMiniMag, but not any brighter.

Another possibility would be to use one of the 3.7v rechargeable, P60 style bulbs from Wolf Eyes or AW with a single RCR123 li-ion, in an appropriate single-cell body (E1e with E2C adapter and 6P bezel). However, I don't know if an RCR123 li-ion could handle the current draw of these bulbs. But if it could, the Wolf Eyes bulb is measurably brighter than a Strion bulb, according to flashlightreviews.com.

I EDC my Strion MiniMiniMag, and like it a lot!

beakman

winny

Flashlight Enthusiast
The by far best I've ever tried was an experimental SureFire at the German CPF mailing list meeting in August. It was about the size of an E1e, but far more "tactical", with porcupine grooves and head. If was perfect in size and good to grip, not to mention ridiculously bright for its size. Unfortunately, they don't make it for the public. They guy who owned it tested flashlight for PK. Lucky *******! :rant: :)

Mikeg23

Enlightened
FlashInThePan said:
For example, I have a cut-down mini-mag that hosts a strion bulb and runs on one 14500. It's definitely bright. Can I do better?
I haven't been able to find much information about this it seems that every one wants to talk about the TL3 bulb instead. Any way I would think it would be hard pressed to beat for your criteria.

dchao

Enlightened
beakman said:
Another possibility would be to use one of the 3.7v rechargeable, P60 style bulbs from Wolf Eyes or AW with a single RCR123 li-ion, in an appropriate single-cell body (E1e with E2C adapter and 6P bezel).
RCR123 rechargeable with 3.7V LA is your brightest option, but you have to be prepared to use unprotected cells. 3.7V LA draws 2A, protected RCR123 can't take that much current. You will probably get 15 min runtime out of it. :naughty:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
For its size the E1e has excellent brightness and runtime. I have been using one for the past three weeks and I am impressed with the brightness of the hot spot, even when the battery has worn down to 2.55 volts (measured quickly after running for 15 seconds). While overall light decreases overtime, the hotspot lux remains very penetrating (for lack of a better word, for now).

Bill

mdocod

Flashaholic
FYI: a thor is a 6 cell light.

I suggest using AWs new "high current" unprotected RCR123s and running a WE D26 3.7V assembly in a 1 cell surefire compatable light. (ultrafire even makes a 1 cell body that would accept this configuration)

paulr

Flashaholic
How about a cut-down Streamlight TL2 with 1xRCR123A and a Strion bulb. Or for that matter doesn't the Surefire 6R use 3.6 volts? There's a way to transplant the P60-family lamp assemblies (I don't remember the number for the 6R) into the E heads. So that would let you use an RCR123A and 3.6v bulb in a stock-looking E1e.