What's the DIMMEST flashlight?

PeLu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: What\'s the DIMMEST flashlight?

It should be easy to shield the lens with you thumb on any not too bright flashlight..
At least I use my thumb when entering a room with sleeping people.. But maybe that's too low tech for this audience.
Besides: I have a tritium light about 13mm (half an inch) diameter where you can shade off the vial down to zero. This should be the perfect one for you.

And BTW, when talking to one of the light designers some time ago, I also asked for a very low brightness level and I named it 'The Incomplete Darkness' (my trademark .-)

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast

Make a cap for your light which can go on and off easily. Here's an Arc AAA with a pinhole cap covered by two layers of masking tape.....

Mvc-040s.jpg

The Yeti

Newly Enlightened

I got some of the glow powder mixed with CHEAP nail polish (expensive nail polish blocks UV, use wet and wild clear) I have a dab on the light switch and on two spots in my bath room the size of a quarter. Once my eyes are dark adapted those are plenty bright enough to navigate in the dark for getting to the bathroom.

I also took the light fixture out of the kitchen which is a clear sconce, washed it out, and then sprinkled some glow powder in side, dusting it. I use a compact florescent light there, which charges the light well, and that is good for all night.

I also use glow powder on my cell phone, I just turn the lights off, and there it is are.

I am planning on coating the inside of my Elektrolumens lights so that they will be able to provide me with a dim light while I have the switch off.

BillBill

Newly Enlightened

I just tried running a Brinkmann Rebel on one cell and an foil wad. The beam it produces was brighter than expected, even though the LED is probably seeing three volts. Its beam brightness on 1.5v can be compared to the brightness of the beam center of a non-lensed single LED light and can be useful in dark situations /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. Still, not as dim as one white LED and cr2032.

This led me to believe that the Rebel is semi regulated; it seems to work well at lower voltages too. But there is a MAJOR decrease in brightness when used with one cell.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

In conclusion, a lighter, long running light that, of course, isn't too bright.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

The Lightwave Infiniton that I just got today either has a fluke or an intentional "find me" glow when off that powers its 1.2 watt Luxeon LED with somewhere between 1.00µA and 1.49µA (µA=microamps).
This takes the trophy for being "The DIMMEST Flashlight". At least, among those I've seen or used.

ThirstyTurtle

Flashlight Enthusiast

Back from the dead!

I'm currently using my Thrunite Ti on "firefly" to sneak into my bedroom at night where my 3-month old is sleeping but it seems awfully bright to dark-adjusted eyes and sometimes causes her to stir.

What's the DIMMEST light I can get? Anything dimmer than the Ti?

lunas

Enlightened

One of those brass lamplighters? I also have this itp aaa clickly light that goes from 120 lumens from a xpg2 to about 1/2 a lumen on a dead cell what ever it is squeezing out of the battery is just enough to slightly illuminate the led.

JimTokle

Newly Enlightened

Back from the dead!

I'm currently using my Thrunite Ti on "firefly" to sneak into my bedroom at night where my 3-month old is sleeping but it seems awfully bright to dark-adjusted eyes and sometimes causes her to stir.

What's the DIMMEST light I can get? Anything dimmer than the Ti?

That's .5 lumens, correct? My SC62w has a nice selection of firefly modes and goes down to .4, .06, and .01 lumens.

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast

The control ring on my v11r ( with extender) and with an Eneloop AA is the dimmest white light I can get, but the red light on my EC1 is so dim it doesn't even bother my dog....

ThirstyTurtle

Flashlight Enthusiast

Jetbeam RRT01 goes so imperceptibly low that you would have a hard time seeing it in pitch black darkness looking directly at the LED
THAT is what I was looking for! I will definitely give this light a look. I've actually thought about buying this light several times in the past so being able to crank it down that low would certainly make it even more attractive.
That's .5 lumens, correct? My SC62w has a nice selection of firefly modes and goes down to .4, .06, and .01 lumens.
I think it's supposed to be 0.04 actually. However, I have a SC62w, H602w, and H600w so I'll try the dimmest-of-the-dim on those three to see if one is lower!
The control ring on my v11r ( with extender) and with an Eneloop AA is the dimmest white light I can get, but the red light on my EC1 is so dim it doesn't even bother my dog....
Noted! I used to have a V11R and remember it going quite low so I'll think about that.

lampeDépêche

Flashlight Enthusiast

For navigating a house with dark-adjusted eyes, my choice would be a red LED Photon Freedom. You can dial that thing so far down that, in pitch dark, holding the light a foot from your hand, you won't see a bright spot on your palm. Get the covert nose for even better light control.

So you've got a narrow beam (from the covert nose), pretty much infinite adjustability, and a red light. Hard to beat.

Want it even dimmer? Swap out the red LED, which is stocked at about a 630nm wavelength, with an even deeper red 660nm. They're cheap, like 50 cents, and you don't need to do any soldering to swap an LED in a Photon freedom, just trim and bend the legs a bit.

[ETA: I'm not saying that longer wavelength is dimmer per se, but in fact the 660nm LED puts out fewer lumens than the 630nm at any given power input. And it's also less disruptive of night-vision, though down in these micro-lumen levels the color is less important.]

Last edited:

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast

My Sunwayman D40A neutral white has a hidden "feature" that gives an incredibly dim moonlight mode. It appears that it's a fairly common issue on the D40A's in neutral white. If you turn the light off from the regular moonlight mode, it leaves the LED on in an extremely dim mode, using just microamps to power it. You need dark-adapted vision to see it, and you have to look directly into the reflector. It looks about as bright as a dim glow from a GITD material after several hours in the dark.

ThirstyTurtle

Flashlight Enthusiast
ArmyTek A1 Prime non-pro on Firefly 1 setting, it's advertised as 0.15 lm.
Well the Ti is advertised as 0.04 lumens, and I think that's about what it is...I just need less. I'm thinking red transparent tape on the lens?

JimTokle

Newly Enlightened
Well the Ti is advertised as 0.04 lumens, and I think that's about what it is...I just need less. I'm thinking red transparent tape on the lens?

Did you try the SC62w? I'm pretty sure that the .01 setting is lower than anyone would actually ever need.

Latest posts