Whats the latest on flying with EDC flashlights?

ConfederateScott

Enlightened
What is the latest on flying with a EDC flashlight? I mean, am I going to be able to take my Surefire L4 in my pocket or carry-on next month when I fly from New Orleans, Louisiana to Presque Isle, Maine? Anyone have any first hand experience flying with a flashlight recently? Flashlights aren't mentioned on the TSA list of prohibited carry-on items. Neither do I want to get to the checkpoint and be given a problem about having my favorite light. I'm already mailing my M6, L6 and E1E along with two dozen SF123 batts to my outfitter to avoid flying with them. But I want to carry my L4 with me all the time. I like to have it near me where I can caress and fondle it anytime I want to. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

dougmccoy

Enlightened
Re: Whats the latest on flying with EDC flashlight

Man, Sometimes I think we get too carried away with our flashaholism?

Doug

JohnJ80

Enlightened

I fly with them all the time. In point of fact, I am - right now - in Asia on business looking at my Maxpedition fatboy with my SF A2 tucked neatly into its little pocket. Got carried on and went though TSA security and Japan security checks with no problem. No one even gave it a glance.

I have done this continuously since 9/11 with no problem. This keeps coming up as a thread topic, even though I haven't seen any ever report having a problem.

J

seattlite

Enlightened

I just received a package shipped from Surefire and on the side of the box in big bold red lettering was: "PRIMARY LITHIUM BATTERIES - FORBIDDEN FOR TRANSPORT ABOARD PASSENGER AIRCRAFT".

So, the lights are fine, but what about the batteries? Maybe there is a restriction on carrying batteries in the cargo compartment of passenger aircraft but not the main cabin?/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

This was resolved in another thread. Passengers may carry-on primary lithiums in their flashlights, on their person, or in their check-in baggage as long as the cells are properly packaged/secured and pose no problems.

CARGO shipments (including air mail, packages, parcels, and other unaccompanied baggage) of lithium primaries may not be carried on passenger aircraft. They may only be carried on cargo-only flights.

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast

And spare batts in a spares carrier?

Scott

seattlite

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
KevinL said:
This was resolved in another thread. Passengers may carry-on primary lithiums in their flashlights, on their person, or in their check-in baggage as long as the cells are properly packaged/secured and pose no problems.

CARGO shipments (including air mail, packages, parcels, and other unaccompanied baggage) of lithium primaries may not be carried on passenger aircraft. They may only be carried on cargo-only flights.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks Kevin!

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast

I last flew this weekend.

I always carry my SF E2e or SF M2 and a SF L1, and a small pouch with (6) 123A cells, (2) AAA lithiums.

In my backpack I have another pouch with (6) AA lithiums. I put all the lights and batteries in my pack when going through the security screening.

I've never been hassled about my lights or batteries. In fact, I've never seen a report on CPF about anyone getting hassled about their lights or batteries.

-john

edc2-640x480.jpg

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast

John N,

Actually there have been a few posts on CPF about light hassles, also about batteries being confiscated. IIRC Mexico doesn't like extra cells at all but it's been a while since I've seen anything on it. I believe someone even had an Arc AAA taken because it could be used as a "kuboton" like weapon. The problem is you never really know what will set them off. In one of the links above I mention flying back with a carry-on full of light stuff and they didn't blink but you can't be certain from one flight to the next.

-LT

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast

Interesting. Maybe someone could find the posts and link them here?

-john

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hmm, so that's what the search function is for . . . /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon6.gif

-LT

cognitivefun

Enlightened

I've traveled with lots of lights and never been hassled. In some places they may turn on a light here or there to make sure it works. But never a real hassle.

The_virus

Enlightened
Simplify...

The main problem with airline security, is that it's completely up to the inspector's discretion. Even if the rules state somewhere that flashlights are allowed...you really can't take that for granted. Plus if you make a fuss you could soon find yourself in one of the "quiet rooms". You can have no problems at all, or you can get a very nervous inspector who takes almost everything you have.

Anyways, I personally strip everything down when travelling. Normally I have a lot of metal on me, but I travel with none of it...it's all waiting for me in my checked luggage. The only time I don't have a flashlight on me is when I'm sleeping or travelling. I like to just walk through the security gates and have my almost-empty carry on bag waiting for me since it also contains no metal. All my sharp and/or metal things are in my checked luggage. Sure my luggage has been lost a few times, but I always get it back.

In my opinion, the less you take on you when travelling, the better. If you're wearing no metal and no sharp things you'll NEVER be hassled...assuming you aren't acting suspicious or muttering bingo words like "bomb". Sure it's not ideal since I know just as well as any flashaholic that parting with all your EDC lights makes you feel naked...but for worry-free travelling, I bite the bullet and stow them in cargo or mail them ahead of time.

cognitivefun

Enlightened
Re: Simplify...

I carry everything on. I have a number of flashlights and batteries with me. I have yet to have any real problem. Once in TOR-DCA I had every electronic gizmo scrutinized but no problems and no confiscations. Not to say it won't happen...it could /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast

TSA won't allow items that they determine could have a dual purpose as a club. The larger mag lights would almost certainly not pass on that basis. Small lights should pass pretty easily. There is a certain amount of discretion involved, so I carry a light that I don't mind losing.

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sorry, but I haven't flown in a few years -- what happens when you do have a light or batts that they don't like?

Security is at a much earlier stage these days, right? Couldn't you just go back and FedEx the light to yourself, or mail it home? Take the batteries out and carry-on empty? I mean, what says you have to lose the thing for some overzealous inspector's interpretation?

Scott

cognitivefun

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
beezaur said:
Sorry, but I haven't flown in a few years -- what happens when you do have a light or batts that they don't like?

Security is at a much earlier stage these days, right? Couldn't you just go back and FedEx the light to yourself, or mail it home? Take the batteries out and carry-on empty? I mean, what says you have to lose the thing for some overzealous inspector's interpretation?

Scott

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, you can Fedex the stuff to yourself or mail it home. I don't think you have to lose stuff like this unless they see it as a weapon.

rgc

Newly Enlightened

John N, nice knife. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

rgc

Latest posts