Whats your choice of bathroom paint?

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I put satin up...not working to good...shows streaks from the humidity. So now either semi-gloss or gloss? I don`t really like those choices as the wall have had many repairs over the years...glossy paints seem to really highlight the flaws. What have you chosen for your bathrooms?

Chauncey Gardner

Enlightened
For bathrooms I usually use a semigloss and eggshell on the trim. Easy cleanup and durable. I have also used eggshell in higher quality paints and it works well if you want a lower sheen level.

Flat is a no no and gloss seems a little harsh on the eyes for my taste.

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to use semi-gloss oil based enamel until they banned it. :scowl:
Now a good quality acrylic enamel semi-gloss, just make sure you prep thoroughly.
Since oil based enamel was banned I learned the hard way when it comes to bath and kitchen paint do not go cheap.:ohgeez:

jtr1962

Flashaholic
If you're handy at doing things yourself just ceramic tile the whole thing and be done with it. That's what I did in our bathroom about 10 years ago. We bought inexpensive ceramic tile at a local liquidators for about 25 cents per square foot. The other materials ( mastic and grout ) are cheap and available at Home Depot. The lower half of the wall had already been done when the house was built. I did the upper half and the ceiling ( including the ceiling over the bath tub ). Now I never have to worry about painting! Just once a year or so I remove the mold stains on the grout using hydrogen peroxide. Generally this only occurs on the ceiling tiles. Other than that, pretty much maintenance free:

LED_Nightlight_11.jpg

I did my basement work room floor to ceiling in ceramic also:

Rebel_Test_Workroom.jpg

gollum

Enlightened
great idea jtr..

and your workroom... can you pull down all those storage containers on the wall and show us a clearer pic of your work?...:crackup:
I hope you have a good memory,I can just imagine me trying to find something lost in there :eek:

jtr1962

Flashaholic
great idea jtr..

and your workroom... can you pull down all those storage containers on the wall and show us a clearer pic of your work?...:crackup:
I hope you have a good memory,I can just imagine me trying to find something lost in there :eek:
All of the drawers are labeled. My memory is probably worse than yours.

Here's a few more pics showing the tile work ( I continued the same pattern where the cabinets are even though it's mostly hidden ):

Workroom_1.jpg

Workroom_2.jpg

Workroom_3.jpg

The tiling took about 2 months to do. It involved scraping the old waterproofing paint off until I hit bare concrete. In some cases I had to build up motor to compensate for the uneveness of the walls. The ceiling, the wall where the doors are ( and wall opposite the one with the A/C ) are some kind of fiberboard so tiling there went a lot easier. Still a major project. Next project when we get the basement cleaned of my father's hobby stuff is ceramic tiling the entire floor, all ~750 feet² of it! I'll just do 10 or 20 feet² a week. Any more and it'll become overwhelming.

Vinniec5

Enlightened
Atleast the FD won't have to look far for an ignition source when the gas main leaks (power supply)

Just kidding:poke: hope it never happens;)

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Do you sing while in your workroom? :p
The thought has occurred to me. :crackup:

Besides a bathroom, does the room look vaguely similar to anything else ( this question actually has special relevance to my fellow NYers )?

Atleast the FD won't have to look far for an ignition source when the gas main leaks (power supply)

Just kidding:poke: hope it never happens;)
I keep the power supplies off whenever they're not in use for exactly that reason. The room would probably earn points from the FDNY just by virtue of the walls being made more fire resistant with the tile ( actually the two outer concrete walls are pretty much fire-proof ).

csa

Enlightened
Gloss is good because it makes it easier to scrape the mold off. Yes, there's no proper ventilation so it gets moldy fast.

gollum

Enlightened
I see you tidied up since the first pic,
My workshop is similar,I have to tidy up or else its impossible to work there
cheers Jason

CaspersMom

Newly Enlightened
I don't see where Beamhead ever found anyone to answer the question...
Besides a bathroom, does the room look vaguely similar to anything else ( this question actually has special relevance to my fellow NYers )?"

Did I miss something, or is everyone else clueless like me?

Grubbster

Enlightened
There are paints specifically designed for bathrooms. It has some type of anti-fungal element and is a semi gloss. I redid my bathroom ceiling about a month ago so it is still to early to tell how it will do. I got the paint at Lowes. Just ask them for paint designed for bathrooms.