What's your EDC(s) and your uses for it?

chaosmagnet

Newly Enlightened
1) What are your EDC's?

Primarily a Fenix P2D in my left front pocket. I keep it in its holster so that it won't bang up my phone. I also have a P3D in my laptop bag, and I carry an E01 on my person in airplanes and in courthouses, where my P2D may not be welcome. I've got a Maratac AAA coming that will take the place of the E01.

2) What is your occupation or job title?

I'm a network security team leader for a consulting firm.

3) What uses for your EDC(s) in your job?

I don't often have to look inside equipment or under desks any more. I do use a light to look inside network cabinets and inside cable raceways. I'll also use it to show customers cabling problems that are up high, or (more commonly than you might think!) leaking pipes above expensive equipment in datacenters. It's relatively common that we won't be able to find lightswitches quickly when responding to customer network outages. Not long ago I was in a subterranean datacenter under construction when the power went out. Out of about eleven people in the walkthrough, the only flashlight present was mine :).

For the engineers I work with, I don't hold it against them for not carrying a flashlight on their person at all times like I do. However, if I catch an engineer without a flashlight in his laptop bag, I treat that as showing up to the customer site without a screwdriver, a multitool or a pen. That's the sort of thing that can cause me to undertake "corrective action".

Dude Dudeson

Enlightened
1) What are your EDC's? Surefire 6PL Defender

2) What is your occupation or job title? Irrelevant because I've never had a job that required the use of a high end flashlight (although it'd have been NICE more than a few times)

3) What uses for your EDC(s) in your job? Well I'll speak of what I use my light for in my own life - I live in a rural area that gets very dark and has a lot of wild animals. I use my light almost every night for something or another - going out to the garage (crappy lighting and switch placement there that I need to do something about), going out to the backyard (similar problems there), power outages (that's rural life for ya), self defense (hasn't happened with THIS light, but it's happened in the past with my old Mags, both with animals and humans), peering into engines, closets, boxes, tool cabinets, computer cases (6P is actually a bit bright for that but I'll use it), well, I guess I had reasons to enter this CPF world lol!

SemperFi

Banned
WTG there... which I find amusing at covert and/or "safe" operations applied with Armed_Forces....:devil::thumbsup: SemperFi mate....:hitit:

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you really need a light for your job?
Absolutely.

1) What are your EDC's?
For work, a Surefire 6P with Z49 tailcap, FM34 diffuser, and Malkoff M60W dropin running on 2 AW R123s, backed up by a modded E2L(EDC away from work), 4 spare R123s and 4 SF123s in Tools Aviation carriers plus a spare 17670 for the E2L that stay in my bag in a Maxpedition Volta pouch.

"Pump tender", "Sulfate engineer", there's not really an official or accurate one. We strip the harmful byproducts from gas emitted by coke ovens, as they can't be released into the atmosphere. On my particular job, we use sulfuric acid to turn ammonia into ammonium sulfate, regulate oil flow for light oil production, and help monitor gas flow and pressure for the plant. It's about as glamorous as it sounds.

I work night shift, and having kept track a few times, use my light a couple hundred times per night. It's mostly momentary use, though.
Includes navigating unlit areas(my work area encompasses a few acres total) and stairwells, tracing water, steam, gas, or acid lines, checking tank levels, valves, pumps, pressure guages, drains, sumps, site glasses, thermometers, augers, belts, airlocks, and other stuff in everything from clouds of steam or airborne particulate, pouring rain, etc. The light gets used indoors, outdoors, at arm's length, just walking around(hence the diffuser), and regularly saves me going up 2 flights of stairs and a ladder vs. the 2D Energizer Industrial lights they hand out.
Pretty much every imaginable type of use, from contact distance to maybe 35yds. in every type of condition(except snow-not much of that in Alabama).
Being a huge flashlight critic, and always wanting the "best" tool for the job, most lights don't measure up to my demands very well. I've tried dozens of different lights, combos, sizes, lamps, LEDs, and battery configurations. This 6P is by far my favorite. After 7 months, I still play with it, and still get a grin out of using it every night.

sassafrass

Newly Enlightened
I am a Scofflaw so when the Police pull me over at night and shine their spotlight into my mirror to blind me I whip out my ultrafire RL-2800 and give them 1300 lumens of strobe ( in my dreams) Actually I do building maintenance and carpentry and my EDC is a Eagletac P10A2 ,it is great for crawl spaces and night calls . I meant no offence to law enforcement I do appreciate the job you do !

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
EDC:
Always an LD01 SS in the front jeans pocket powered by a 10440. This light is small enough and bright enough to do whatever might be needed anytime, for a short period of time. It is accompanied (when after dark may be involved) by a larger light or two of one sort or another, seems to always be changing... includes Quark 123, Quark AA, Quark 123-2, Nitecore D10, Liteflux LF3XT, L-Mini II, various 6P/3P clones with Malkoff lamp assemblies, Surefire L1, E1B, etc.

JOB:
Photography studio owner/photographer

USE ON THE JOB:
As many here, looking for things behind, underneath, etc. Reading dimly lit labels or tags, etc. Testing or checking any number of miscellaneous objects for reflectivity, etc. Helping older eyes see fine print in dim light. Occasionally I will use flashlights as primary or secondary lighting of portrait subjects during night photography and, often, as accent lights while doing table-top commercial photography, such as photographs of fine handguns, 1911's, etc. I've also used flashlights as accent lights during food photography sessions. I use flashlights for work and for personal use constantly for a wide variety of reasons; I have more flashlights than I would ever "need"; I am the quintessential "flashaholic"... :sssh:

Last edited:

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
What's your EDC(s)...
Rotation of D10, LD01SS, Ti EX10 and EZAA.

...and your uses for it?
Check for monsters under the bed and inside the closet. :aaa:

*Dusty*

Enlightened
1) What are your EDC's?
Maglite Solitaire, Petzl Tikka XP, Fenix L1d

I am an Inventory Auditor for Hyster and Yale forklift trucks, and I also own a paintball site.

Hunting for stuff in deep and dark parts of a forklift factory which I usually have to manhandle or count, so the headlamp lets me use both hands, while the L1D lets me poke around engines, forklift chassis looking for serial numbers :)

On the paintball site, i often end up scouring the fields and playing areas for discarded pots and packs in the dark after customers have left, there is zero ambient light and when it gets dark it comes quickly!!! I mainly use the headlamp to be honest, and also in the early morning setup. L1D is also handy sometimes.

The maglite is for sentimental use, and absolute emergencies, like when I drop my pen under the desk :oops:

Narcosynthesis

Newly Enlightened
I am a graduate, so only really working part time at the moment.

When I am working, it is in a photo lab, where I EDC a Fenix E01, normally used for exploring dark cupboards and checking under/inside machines when doing maintenence and the likes.

Elsewhere I EDC a Fenix L1T. Often carried as a 'just in case' tool rather than one that I *need* in everyday life - kept as an EDC for the days I end up staying out later and need a light source for odd jobs like lighting my way or finding my keys in my rucksack. Also often carried as I quite enjoy exploring old buildings and investigating machinery and so on and having a light can be invaluable.
With the size of the Fenix it is just easier keeping it in my pocket for the times I do need it, than having to remember to pocket it every time I think I might want it and gambling that it is not the day I need it for some unforseen circumstances.

SemperFi

Banned
...and your uses for it?
Check for monsters under the bed and inside the closet. :aaa:

I believe they are aka "kachuaks" and "chichaks" ???:eek:

These critters must be a menace for your household lifestyle & living....:devil:

Best is to call in the Bug-Busters... like Rentokil!!! :thumbsup:

kozstik

Newly Enlightened
1) What are your EDC's?
My primary light is a 6P equipped with a bugoutgear super premium cree Q5 led drop-in and a Netkidz forward clicky. My back-up that I carry on my belt is an Ra 85Tr, and a 3D Mag with Malkoff drop-in that I keep in the car as an extra back-up.
Public Health Inspector
Checking all the nooks and cranny's of the dirty restaurants and slum apartments that I inspect.

Last edited:

clipse

Enlightened
1) What are your EDC's?

HDS EDC U60 with Seoul SSC P4

Assistant Golf Course Superentendent

Using it to look in and around mowers, using it to change cups early morning or late night.

thedeske

Enlightened
1) What are your EDC's?

Fenix PD30 & LD10

Design, Build, Finish Casework,Desks (thedeske.com) & workstation furniture for Business/Res

The shop is 10,000sf & 14 rooms. I'm here at night a lot, power goes down & the old shop goes bump in the night all the time. The 30 goes on-site with a diffuser to use inside cabinets, around wiring, and in not so well lit places I encounter everywhere.
The 10 is just a basic have around light.
In this business, you constantly power down & rewire stuff, chase after tiny things that roll under tables, repair inside machines, close inspect things that T8s can't light well enough from 12 feet up, and on and on.

Lots of machinery and a big space. Talk about a killer excuse for lights - I have it ;)

fixitman

Newly Enlightened
1) What are your EDC's?
Nitecore EZAAw, cheepass coincell keychain light, and LODce

Industrial mechanic

Actually, at work I have a streamlight 3AA on my belt pouch. Its pretty crappy, overall, but I like the side clicky and that it fits well on my belt pouch(they issue this light at work). I use it at least an hour a night looking into machinery.
The EZAAw gets some use if I need more light, or need better quality light. Mostly carried for non-work stuff, like navigating the house at night when I cant turn on the lights. Gets used probably a couple hours a week for various "stuff"
LODce, was my main EDC before the EZAAw. still in my pocket till am sure of the reliability and comfort of EZAAw.
Coin cell light, really a just a backup. its been used a few times when I had to loan out the other lights during power outages and whatnot.

I catch some crap about my lights, but the same folks always end up barrowing them, so I just get a little laugh.

"where does that conduit go? I cant tell. Hey Rob, hand me that light of yours......"

SemperFi

Banned
I catch some crap about my lights, but the same folks always end up barrowing them, so I just get a little laugh.

"where does that conduit go? I cant tell. Hey Rob, hand me that light of yours......"

:crackup: Ya're da man... thanks for the laughs which I enjoyed reading your share & fixin' whats unlighted.... :thumbsup:

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
EDC: XP-E Keychain with Lisa Optics.

34632361.jpg
99270298.jpg

Legend

Newly Enlightened
1. I carry an Eagle Tac P100C2 and am looking at Nitecore. If I buy one this month, I'll be lost in photophilia.

2. I don't have a job at the moment.

3. Generally, any situation where a light would be needed.